Leather interior in 1951 Commander convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather interior in 1951 Commander convertible

Anybody have any pictures of the interior of a '51 conv with leather interior? Were the door panels also leather? What colors were available?
    Anybody have any nice original, nos or replated chrome available for the '51?

You should've asked a year ago Nels.. I had almost every piece of chrome for a '51 NOS. I still have a NOS (parts will need rechroming) front bumper guard/overrider assembly if you want to make it a bit gaudy.

Here's a '51 Commander with a leather interior. Sadly I don't have anymore interior pics.

Last edited by mbstude; 09-17-2012, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Matt
      Didn't you know that I would need that stuff?
      I saw that conv in Phoenix a few yrs back. A good looking car. See if you have a few more shots of that interior or others. Thanks,

Comment

This one was at the Atlantic Zone Meet last year at Gettysburg. This appears to be a true survivor; nothing's been restored, or ever waxed for that matter.

Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

My 50 Commander had original upholstery when I bought it in 1973.

The door panels were oil cloth. That a was very popular cloth in the 50's, and was used for outdoor table cloths, rain coats and the like. It was sort of a vinyl precursor. It was a heavy canvas impregnated with some vinyl-like substance. Probably made out of tree sap or something. Nowadays, upholsterers use thin vinyl to replace oil cloth, but even the thinnest vinyl is too thick to look exactly correct, and to bend and fold around the corners correctly.

The rear side of the front seat backs were also covered with oil cloth.

from Wikipedia:

Oilcloth
          Oilcloth was, traditionally, heavy cotton or linen cloth with a linseed oil coating: it was semi-waterproof. The most familiar use was for brightly printed kitchen tablecloths. Dull-colored oilcloth was used for bedrolls, sou'westers, and tents. By the late 1950s, oilcloth became a synonym for vinyl (polyvinyl chloride) bonded to either a flanneled cloth or a printed vinyl with a synthetic non-woven backing.
          Last edited by RadioRoy; 09-18-2012, 12:29 PM.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
          X