Starlight coupe carpet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Starlight coupe carpet

I ordered a few smaller items from SI last week and got a nice fat catalog to look through. My first "big" purchase was going to be new carpet, but when I looked at theirs it noted that you need to cut holes for pedals and so on. Now the original carpet I have is not like that, but was cut to fit around all the pedals, plus it had nice edging around it to keep the carpet from coming apart. So my question is, if I want carpet like what came with the car, does any vendor sell the original style (I thought SI would), or is it easier/cheaper just to take my carpet in and have a shop cut some new pieces to match exactly what is already in the car? Thanks guys...
    sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
    Regal Deluxe Trim
    Automatic transmission
    46k original miles, 4th Owner

It's often easier to have a local upholstery shop do the carpet job. But beware, if you want it done to look original, you might have to stress that to them very strongly. Many upholsters know nothing about original stitching patterns, although it costs no more to stitch it properly. Since you still have an original carpet, you are better off than most. Are you sure that your carpet is original? How many miles and more importantly, how many previous owners on the car?

The original carpet was an open pile, short tuft, kind of mohair-like fabric. It was taupe (tan/brown) with a tiny hint of red. It was not black.

Do not let them make it from loop pile, or long shag-like stuff. Loop pile is very popular among the GM crowd, but is not correct for a 50 Studebaker.

BTW, I have been a 50-51 Studebaker nut since 1972 and have had the good fortune to own a number of them that had very few previous owners. I consider myself very knowledgeable on 50-51 authenticity.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Wow, thanks for the info--again, Roy. I may have to put you on speed dial -- ha! Anyway, from what you describe and what I have here, it looks to be original carpet, just in worn condition. The car has about 45k miles on it and the gentleman I just purchased it from, bought it not too many years ago from the second owner.

The foot area on the driver side is pretty worn, and there's a few stains around the center fill cap. Other than that, it's not too bad for 62 years young, but I'd like to go ahead and get a new set, as long as I can get something that looks correct. I'm not going for a 100 point car, but I just like things to look the correct vintage.

Maybe tonight I can get some photos together and post what I actually have...
      sigpic

Regal Deluxe Trim
      Automatic transmission

Comment

45 thousand miles and only three previous owners? And it's a starlight coupe, too? You hit the jackpot. Congratulations!
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
          45 thousand miles and only three previous owners? And it's a starlight coupe, too? You hit the jackpot. Congratulations!
          Thanks, I was pretty happy to find it for sale. The owner's manual has a few written notations showing how many miles were on it in such-and-such a year, as well as a couple of original window stickers from the 60s. In addition to the low miles, I think the previous owners took care of it to keep it out of the weather and so on. I have only notices two or three areas where the weatherstripping is cracking or dried out. The rest of it looks nice and supple.
          sigpic

Regal Deluxe Trim
          Automatic transmission

Comment

If it is a 50 Champion, the correct factory installed floor covering is rubber mat, not carpet. But if you
            don't plan to show the car at Studebaker meets--who cares?
            The 1950 Champion Starlight
            Santa Barbara
            CA

Comment

It's a 50 Commander.

Comment

I just got a PM from a forum member who says his fathers car came with charcoal black carpet. Both of my original 50 Commanders were lighter colors. One was Tulip Cream number 2 and the other was Highland Mist metallic. Maybe Studebaker did change colors of carpet for different color cars, but the choices were probably limited in number. Studebaker did not drastically increase their interior color combinations until 1954.

Comment

Charcoal works for me! I'm trying to match the black and silver dash colors better...

Oh, btw I went by my local upholstery shop and the guy wanted $600 to cut new carpet. I think I shall go with one of the online vendors. I found automotiveinteriors.com has Stude sets for $195 that are supposedly cut and edged to fit like originals. I'll call ahead to confirm on that...
                  sigpic

Regal Deluxe Trim
                  Automatic transmission

Comment

Originally posted by deco_droid View Post
                    Charcoal works for me! I'm trying to match the black and silver dash colors better...
                    Are you interested in making the car look like you want it to look, or are you interested in maintaining authenticity? Lots of the things that previous owners did to a car probably looked better to them, but only authenticity stands the test of time. Interestingly, the original designers did know what they were doing, and generally the original colors and fabrics make the car look and feel like a car of that vintage actually looked and felt.

If the car had 200K miles and 25 previous owners, that would be one thing, but a low mileage car that had had very few previous owners FUBARing it... I mean... adding their tasteful personal customizing touches, is a totally different thing.

There should be a small bit of carpet from under the seats that has not faded and will tell you the color the carpet was when the car was new.

Comment

Roy, I understand what you're saying about changing too much of the original design. Honestly, the upholstery design is one of the few things I have a problem with. Maybe it's my art background, but I just think there are too many colors going on in the car to give it a unifying look. You've got kind of a champagne color at the top of the dash, followed by black, brushed metal and chrome. Then the door has a grey/pewter colored window frame, followed by a light tan fabric and dark bluish grey vinyl inset on the panel. Oh, and the door pull handles are dark brown (???) Then you have the seats with a bluish-green stripe on a cream background. Top it off with a medium brown headliner and tan carpet. All of this on a burgundy car.

I know for purists I'm not going to change anyone's mind and I'm not really trying to, just stating my opinion. If they had painted the upper door frames the same champagne color as the top of the dash, that would have created a better flow there. Also, the greenish blue stripes in the seats just don't work. If nothing else, I could see tan stripes working nicely to give the whole interior more of an earthy color palette.

So anyway, I am planning to keep the interior materials as close to original as I can. I would never just cover everything in black vinyl -- UGH! All I am trying to do is focus the color scheme by eliminating some of the extraneous colors. I have seen different color choices in these cars compared to what I have, so maybe my guy just custom ordered something that didn't work very well. I don't know...
                      sigpic

Regal Deluxe Trim
                      Automatic transmission

Comment

Hi There:
                        I have a '50 Champion Custom Royal Starlight, Black Cherry, 58000 miles. At present I want to replace the carpet in the car as someone put in a horrid yellow spotted house carpet in it. Got any advise as to where to get and what color the original carpet might be?
                        Thanxxx
                        hexcarnut1 aka Frank Sartori Lindsborg Ks.

Comment

Depends on the trim level. I have never heard of a "Custom Royal" and in Studebaker parlance, the custom is the low price model, while the regal is a higher end model.

What are the numbers on the firewall in front of the passenger, please? It should say something like 9G-C? 1234

The "?" part will determine the trim level.
                          Last edited by RadioRoy; 04-06-2014, 03:22 PM.

Comment

The Champion 9G-C5. Regal Deluxe, came with carpet as described above in both front and rear. The Body Parts Catalog confirms this. I have a partial photo of rear carpet as I purchased the car 30 years ago. Another place to check is the bottom of the rear arm rest compartments. There was carpet there, at least in the 9G-C5.
                            Perry
                            \'50 Business Champion
                            \'50 Starlight Champion
                            \'60 Lark Convertible,
                            \'63 GT R1,
                            \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

The question remains, what trim level is Frank's car? C5, C3, or C1?

His description of it as a "custom" might mean a C1. His description of it as a "royal" might mean regal.

But only the numbers will tell and we can only speculate until he gets back to us with the data..

Comment

Working...
                              X