PDA

View Full Version : Making a Comeback

SilverHawkDan
09-16-2012, 10:27 PM
It has been a long journey but I am finally making a comeback. I finished eight weeks of head and neck radiation and chemo a week ago Friday and have about three months of recovery ahead but the fact that I made it through the treatments is a very positive sign. I wanted to say Thank You to all of you who have been praying for me and my family. This was by far the hardest thing I have ever done. Harder than making my Studebaker engines leak free. I did the latter so I thought I could do this too.

So now I will meet with my friends Johnnie and Jeri to set up a schedule to begin therapy sessions. My therapy will consist of starting the tear down of my newest Studebaker project. I plan to recreat my very first car. One of the goals will be to race the car next September at Bonneville and join the 130 club. This is going to be a husband and wife project. My wife and I have built cars together in the past and have done quite well even winning shows with a few. But this car will be different. I am building this car for us and not the way others think it should be built. Ride and comfort will take precedence over originality or speed. This car will be driven daily by my wife so you can bet it will be as she wants it. I am building it for her since she hasn't had a hot rod since I made her sell her Mustang years ago. I hope this makes it up to her. I have been promising for years to build one for her. Here's a shot of the donor car.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p56/dieselguy2006/1958%20Silver%20Hawk%20Lompoc%207-15-12/DSCF4594.jpg
Dan and Kathy

JRoberts
09-17-2012, 07:52 AM
Glad to hear you are on the mend. Now, how about a little more informaiton concerning your Bonneville project. Again congratulations on your comeback.

sweetolbob
09-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Godspeed Dan

You've been through more than most cats could handle. I can't wait to see the build on this one after the "Bucket List Avanti"

Bob

warrlaw1
09-17-2012, 09:58 AM
What Bob said. You are an inspiration.

showbizkid
09-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Welcome back, Dan. We're all happy to see you up on your feet again!

SilverHawkDan
09-17-2012, 10:59 PM
Thank You for the kind words and encouragement. It is good to be back with my second family. I know I will have to be patient as the docs say I have about two to three more months of rehab but I have made liars out of them before. So we shall see.

As for the Hawk the Utah Salt Flats Racing Association (USFRA) has a race in September and since they are not SCTA and run their own race they have some fun classes. They have a Bar Stool class, and the two that I am most interested in are the 130 mph and 150 mph clubs. These classes are for basically street cars with added safety items. The 130 class doesn't require a roll bar but the 150 club does. This is considered an entry level class to introduce people to salt flats racing. The biggest difference in SCTA and USFRA is the USFRA race is run by racers who race at Speed Week and then run a race for racers. So my wife and I are thinking of taking the Hawk and running the 130 club. It will only happen if I can boost the engine. Bonnevilles 5000 to 6000 corrected altitude requires boost or a lot of compression and money. Originally we were not going to take the car on the salt but since the donated car is not a 10 I won't feel that bad about taking the risk. I have learned a lot about removing the salt after the race so I don't fear it. We have put the word out to our Studebaker friends asking if anyone else wants to go with and race. If enough people sign on we will do it.

Look for a thread that will follow the build as soon as I can get feeling good enough to get started.
Dan

fpstude
09-17-2012, 11:28 PM
I hear attitude has a lot to do with health progress. You have that under control. Look forward to learning about your progress

Nox
09-18-2012, 07:14 AM
I sure hope it's the shoe-box that's the donor-car!

allstateguy
09-18-2012, 07:51 AM
I'm so glad to hear about your progress Dan. And your therapy looks like just the ticket. Looking forward to hearing news both here and one Racing Studebakers, too!

BobPalma
09-18-2012, 08:16 AM
Cool Beans, Dan; 'good to hear of your progress. :!: BP