Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebaker Hydra Matic; This one has me stumped!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Hydra Matic; This one has me stumped!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6076.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1736457
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Wow, it's great to know that even a Stude guru can get stumped from time to time. Sorry I can't help you out, but this furthers the saying 'never say never' when it comes to Stude. Waiting to find out what Hydra Matic means in relationship to Studebakers. Regards, Junior

It is interesting to note, that the patch's logo is a very close copy to GM's hydra-matic logo...

Last edited by junior; 09-16-2012, 09:51 AM.
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Since the spelling is STUDEBAKERS instead of STUDEBAKER....that tells Me this patch probably has nothing to do with Studebaker Corp. Possibly an early fifties transmission shop involved with
      selling-rebuilding-installing Hydra-Matic transmissions? (Remember the B&M Hydro-Stick of later years?)

Comment

Agree with "all the above," Dick, including your OP.

I doubt this has anything to do with "our" Studebaker Corporation or General Motors Corporation's Hydra-Matic (as then spelled) Drive.

Unless the actual age can be verified, it really looks like something somebody recently made up with bits and pieces of advertising. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

From what I can tell in the photo, it looks too new.
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            Unless the actual age can be verified, it really looks like something somebody recently made up with bits and pieces of advertising. BP
            I saw a coat many years ago with various patches on it including that one. They were indeed "cut & paste" jobs, with no regard to accuracy.

Craig

Comment

That would be my patch, it was sewn on to a faded pocket of a work type shirt and was falling apart. After removing it from the pocket I stabilized it with some iron on temp stitching and had my Mom sew it on the shirt for me. I didnt get anymore of the shirt other than the pocket and the patch was only sewn to the pocket. I assume it was added to the shirt during it construction and not added later as there wasnt any evidence that the pocket had been removed and reattached.

I dont know how old it really is but I can assure you that its not "new". Not saying its authentic or truly vintage but it wasnt made yesterday.
              Last edited by Da Tinman; 09-17-2012, 08:44 AM.
              http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'll bet someone found a bunch of old embroidery dies and simply muscled them together. Interesting piece though - I'd be interested in finding out what it was that actually "prevented blowouts"

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Assuming that this is not a fake, I'd say it is referring to an hydraulic stabilizer used on the front end, hence the hand around the axle and the supposed advantages. I don't know if this kind of stabilizer is common in the U.S., but such accessories existed for french cars during the 50's for both axles.
                  sigpic

Comment

I'll go with that xplanation. Case closed cheers jimmijim
                    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by christophe View Post
                      Assuming that this is not a fake, I'd say it is referring to an hydraulic stabilizer used on the front end, hence the hand around the axle and the supposed advantages. I don't know if this kind of stabilizer is common in the U.S., but such accessories existed for french cars during the 50's for both axles.
                      Hydraulic steering stabilizers were used, but not common, in the USA. In fact, a kit to install one was available from Studebaker for the Gran Turismo Hawks (they have been reproduced).
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        Hydraulic steering stabilizers were used, but not common, in the USA. In fact, a kit to install one was available from Studebaker for the Gran Turismo Hawks (they have been reproduced).
                        As I own a GT, that's very interesting. Could you tell me what company did reproduce them? I don't remember seeing them in SI's catalog.
                        sigpic

Comment

My dad drove International pickup trucks and I remember the later ones having these on them.
                          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                          1961 Hawk 4-speed
                          1967 Avanti
                          1961 Lark 2 door
                          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Dave Thiebault had them reproduced. The GT hawk developed a shimmy of the steering wheel at speed, not sure why as its the same steering components as the finned hawks. Something to do with weight change? I've got a stabilizer kit that I ordered for a customer, customer then backed out so I'm stuck with the kit. If someone wants it 20% off of what Dave asks for them its yours.
                            Originally posted by christophe View Post
                            As I own a GT, that's very interesting. Could you tell me what company did reproduce them? I don't remember seeing them in SI's catalog.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                            53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                            57 SH (project)
                            60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Originally posted by rusty nut garage View Post
                              Dave Thiebault had them reproduced. The GT hawk developed a shimmy of the steering wheel at speed, not sure why as its the same steering components as the finned hawks. Something to do with weight change?
                              I'd say that the effects of sidewinds were amplified by the square roof.

Originally posted by rusty nut garage View Post
                              I've got a stabilizer kit that I ordered for a customer, customer then backed out so I'm stuck with the kit. If someone wants it 20% off of what Dave asks for them its yours.
                              I could be interested but, as it is basically a shock absorber between the frame and the steering components, I'm wondering if it doesn't have a tendancy to stiff the direction. Without P.S. I can assure you that no additional rigidity is needed. I've experienced no shimmy yet, but I've limited my top speed to 50 mph during the engine break in.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X