Gaskets and valves 1962 lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Gaskets and valves 1962 lark

I just had my carb rebuilt tuned and all that crap and the mechanic charged me 650 bucks. It also had to be sent away because they couldn't do it themselves. when I went to pick up my car he tells me all the gaskets need to be replaced and in order to do this I need to pull the engine. Am I being had here?

Which engine do you have and the big question is where is the leak or leaks located. Studebaker engines will leak from the front and rear main seals and sometimes the pan gasket. Replacing all of the gaskets sounds extreme to me. I recommend a second opinion from another shop that is hopefully familiar with older engines. Bud

Comment

Find a different mechanic.
      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Find another shop! If you can't find someone that works on Studebakers, at least find someone that regularly works on cars of the same vintage. I am not familiar with anyone in your country to send you to. Maybe some other Canadian can chime in to at least help you with a proper assessment of "problems".
        Do you have a six or eight cylinder engine?
        I believe that you could have gotten a new or rebuilt carb for less.
        Do not let anyone pull the engine for any gasket leak. Most everything can be fixed in the car. If not, you can live with a small leak instead of spending more money than the car is worth on unnecessary work.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Just got back from the garage. It's a six cylinder, 169 ci. according to the mechanic its a 63 not a 62, all the seals and gaskets need to be replaced. Cylinders three and four are being flooded with oil and thats why my car times like ****. he's quoted me 1000 bucks for all the labor.

Comment

Seems rather expensive to me. I had a 4BBL carby stripped and rebuilt in 24 hrs for around $250, Hope the car will soon run well again.
            John Clements
            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by StrayCatSue View Post
              Just got back from the garage. It's a six cylinder, 169 ci. according to the mechanic its a 63 not a 62, all the seals and gaskets need to be replaced. Cylinders three and four are being flooded with oil and thats why my car times like ****. he's quoted me 1000 bucks for all the labor.
              Well since worn Piston Rings, cracked ring lands on the Pistons, worn Valve Seals and or worn Valve Guides are the largest by far cause of Oil in the Cylinders, I do not think Gaskets are going to help.
              Yes you are being taken!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Replacing external gaskets won't solve your problems. I agree with Rich, it sounds to me like the engine is a due for a rebuild. Also the overhead valve six cylinder engines are notorious for cracked heads, so that needs to be checked too. Bud

Comment

I'm thinking its time to bite the bullet and drop a 350 chevy in there. Cringe.

Comment

What would you guys recommend I look for of I wanted to drop a new engine in it?

Comment

What would you guys recommend I look for of I wanted to drop a new engine in it?
                      First choice would be another (known good running) 170 cid Studebaker six, like out of a rusted out or wrecked car. That would be the cheapest and easiest "fix".
                      Second choice would be a 259 cid or 289 cid Studebaker V8.
                      Third choice would be to either rebuild what you have or do a transplant of another manufacturer's engine. This choice will probably cost you more than the car will be worth. Do it only if you have a strong sentimental attachment to the car.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Any way you decide to go, it won't be inexpensive. Rebuilding the original engine would be my choice. The second choice would be to install a good Studebaker 259 in place of the 6 now in the car. Installing an engine from another manufacturer would in my opinion the most expensive way to go as there is a bunch of labor involved in doing an engine swap. Bud

Comment

No such thing as "drop a new engine in it". If you don't have mechanical and fabrication skills, putting any non stock motor in your car will cost many thousands of dollars plus the cost of the motor. You will also need a new transmission since a non Stude motor would be difficult if not impossible to mate to your 6 cylinder trans.

If you want to drive a vintage car, you need to either be a pretty competent mechanic or have a pretty healthy checking account. There is no easy way out.
                          Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post

If you want to drive a vintage car, you need to either be a pretty competent mechanic or have a pretty healthy checking account. There is no easy way out.
                            Dick, I could not have said it better. Thank you for that.

It's amazing what passes for a simple fix if one does not understand the complexity of what needs to be done.
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                            X