1965 Commander : 194 vs 283

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 Commander : 194 vs 283

Was wondering if anyone has the stats on these two engines. Power/mileage etc.

Were Commanders offered with a 6? would a 250 bolt in?

Might cousin says he knows a guy with a bunch of old engines. Says He has a few motors lying around. Are they worth a damn?

Would I be able to hit highway speeds with them if I switched over?
    Would my mileage suffer by putting in the 6?
    Last edited by cultural infidel; 09-13-2012, 09:52 AM.
    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

The 194 six was the standard engine in '65 - '66 Commanders. It was a good motor, and would get the car up to highway speeds no problem. Overdrive was available.

I don't think they got greatly better mileage than the V8s, especially if you tried to keep up with the V8s. If you drive like a little old lady, then maybe.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

And I bet the 250 would bolt right in, too. It was a peppy little engine...for a stovebolt.
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

The stats are in the latest turning wheels. There is a comprehensive article by Fred Fox on the 65 Studebakers.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
          The stats are in the latest turning wheels. There is a comprehensive article by Fred Fox on the 65 Studebakers.
          anyone able to scan this article? I do not subscribe to turning wheels.
          1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

I have a 66 Commander with a 194 A/T She get about 14 mpg on the road My plan is a 4.3 with 4l60E hope to get up to mid to high 20's

Comment

Working...
            X