PDA

View Full Version : Are Zone Meets Getting Fewer Cars?

ST2DE5
09-13-2012, 09:52 AM
I talked to a guy that went to the Tri-State meet and there wasn't many cars. I think he said 24. At the Middle Tennessee Meet last year there was 7 cars. Whats the deal? We were planning on going to the Tri-State next year but I guess we will go to Branson which is at the same time.

Chris Pile
09-13-2012, 10:59 AM
My guess is money is just real tight for many of our club members, Carl.
Looks like it might be that way for awhile, unfortunately.

52-fan
09-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Most of us have limited dollars and, with the price of fuel, we pick carefully. Joe and I were discussing that we would like to make the meet in Nashville, but the fuel cost makes us think it's not going to happen.

(S)
09-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Why don't both of those zones meet in the middle? Do the ASC and Avanti clubs join your zone meet? Invite them.

Studeguru
09-13-2012, 11:46 AM
I am the chair for the Pacific Southwest Zone Meet, September 21-23 in Salt Lake City, Utah.
So far I have 33 cars registered, 17 for judging. I'm hoping we will get some more.
Lots of people but not to many cars.

2R5
09-13-2012, 12:33 PM
I can remember when our local chapter here used to get 150+ cars for their yearly car show....now they don't even have a show.

Avantidon
09-13-2012, 01:30 PM
I don't dispute that the current economic situation is effecting the attendance at Zone Meets as i know it is. I have talked to an individual who was at the Tr-State Meet and he said that there were around 50 cars there with the largest class being the Avanti II class. I found that an nteresting observation.

(S)
09-13-2012, 02:05 PM
With the aniversary of the Avanti, I have had more parts requests, and seen more 'fresh out of the garage' Avantis, than any other time this last year. I have had requests for Avanti parts, but NEVER this many! The Avanti group is going through a 'revival' , the club membarship will surely follow once these are all running and driving again.....

swvalcon
09-13-2012, 02:09 PM
I can see that money would have a lot to do with it. I know myself on the 64 hawk i picked up I was dissapointed that it had the small 2 bbl motor. But then the more I thought about it. You know that mpg's may be kind of nice with gas at $4.00 a gallon. Make going on a rod run a lot easier on the wallet and it seems to have plenty of zip.

mbstude
09-13-2012, 02:11 PM
I have talked to an individual who was at the Tr-State Meet and he said that there were around 50 cars there with the largest class being the Avanti II class. I found that an nteresting observation.

I was there, and there were nowhere near 50 cars. The number 24 posted earlier sounds about right. There were 3 or 4 late model Avanti's, so it may have been the largest class.

There was a threat of rain so that may have been part of the reason for such a low turnout. But even still, 24 cars isn't very many for a show that's been going on as long as that one has.

55champion
09-13-2012, 02:35 PM
I was at Tri-State and Matthew is right on the car count.I had hoped to bring my car but the Carb.was not working right so had to leave it at home. I talked to two other guys that were experiencing the same trouble and had to leave the car at home.

studegary
09-13-2012, 03:20 PM
Please keep the terms straight. NEITHER of the referenced meets were "Zone Meets". They were chapter meets or meets by a small group of chapters. The Southeast Zone Meet is in Florida next month.

studegary
09-13-2012, 03:21 PM
I can remember when our local chapter here used to get 150+ cars for their yearly car show....now they don't even have a show.

Same thing for our local chapter.

Gunslinger
09-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Even recognizing that the SDC is a large club, what's the average age of members? As the Studebaker name and vehicle gets further out of the public memory and members get older, retire and pass on. There may well be fewer members who are physically able to travel, the economy notwithstanding.

ST2DE5
09-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Please keep the terms straight. NEITHER of the referenced meets were "Zone Meets". They were chapter meets or meets by a small group of chapters. The Southeast Zone Meet is in Florida next month.
Some how I knew I was wrong but you get what I was talking about.

mbstude
09-13-2012, 04:13 PM

And to complicate things even more, it is also the Florida State Meet.

I had planned to go to that, but won't be able to. I will be at the Nashville, Tenn show.

Dads Baby
09-13-2012, 05:10 PM
Our Zone Meet was just 2 weeks after the International. We had about 50 cars/trucks attend. We probably would have had more if the two events were not so close together. Still, I thought we had a great turn out! :woot:

rockinhawk
09-13-2012, 07:22 PM
And to complicate things even more, it is also the Florida State Meet.

I had planned to go to that, but won't be able to. I will be at the Nashville, Tenn show.
The Zone meet is a week later than Nashville.

candbstudebakers
09-13-2012, 07:27 PM
I am the chair for the Pacific Southwest Zone Meet, September 21-23 in Salt Lake City, Utah.
So far I have 33 cars registered, 17 for judging. I'm hoping we will get some more.
Lots of people but not to many cars.

Planning on leaving on Wed. and driving the Dodge Mega Cab pulling the trailer with the Super hawk so we will have a Studebaker at the show. 4 of us and the 2 little dogs, be there or be square, about a 700 mile one way trip.

jg61hawk
09-13-2012, 08:16 PM
I went to to the Atlantic Zone last year in Gettysburg and it was full of cars and great times. I went to the Northeast Zone this year and it was pretty full too. Over here in the East we still party hardy!!!!!

JRoberts
09-13-2012, 09:55 PM
This year's Tri-State Meet was fun with great weather and lots of old friends who gathered together. As I see it there were a few reasons for the low turn out. First was the weather. For more than two weeks prior to the meet the forecast called for a 60% change of rain. This forecast was used up until the evening prior to the event. Rain and old cars often do not mix. There were a lot of folks who showed have Studebakers, but came without them.
When gasoline begins to approach the $4.00 per gallon mark (Actually more accurately on my trip across the state in my Cruiser I saw prices from $3.78 and $3.90) driving distances for anything decreases. We all know that the gas mileage of the average Studebaker is not quite the same as driving my Subaru or VW. It does cost more to travel for anything these days including going to Studebaker events.
This may be controversial, but I am beginning to wonder if the International Drive Your Studebaker Day might be attracting attention away from other Studebaker events that are nearby on the calendar. The Tri-State Meet put has been put on by the North Carolina Chapter for 44 years straight, on the same day long before IDYSD. I cannot confirm this as a reason for the decline in this an other Studebaker events, but it would be a good thing to study.
I really would not judge the success of any event simply by numbers. The fact is that this year's Tri-State was a great gathering of Studebaker fans. It was things out of the control of its organizers that led to the decrease in attendence. Next year will be the 45th Tri-State Meet and the 45th Southeast Zone Meet all wrapped up in one package to be held in one of the most beautiful parts of this country. Do not allow simple numbers keep you away. The more the merrier it is true, and there will be more if ya'll come.

Avantidon
09-14-2012, 08:01 AM
Joe where are you going to hold next year's meet? I will be a lot closer and just may come on over as we have friends in the are who owned the 89 Avanti Convertible that was there last weekend. We call her" Vanna" as she was the "Wheel of Fortune" car given away on the show..

JRoberts
09-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Joe where are you going to hold next year's meet? I will be a lot closer and just may come on over as we have friends in the are who owned the 89 Avanti Convertible that was there last weekend. We call her" Vanna" as she was the "Wheel of Fortune" car given away on the show..

Next year Tri-State and the SE Zone meet will be held at Lake Junaluska. This is a Methodist Conference facility. It is located off of I-40 about 25 west of Asheville. It is just a few miles east of Maggie Valley on U.S. 19.

LarkTruck
09-14-2012, 07:24 PM
I was at Tri-State and Matthew is right on the car count.I had hoped to bring my car but the Carb.was not working right so had to leave it at home. I talked to two other guys that were experiencing the same trouble and had to leave the car at home.

Not to go off topic here, but, it's no wonder people are having carb problems with this CRAP the government is pushing on us as GASOLINE!
E10???? I just can't imagine how our cars are going to run when all we can get is E15 :-(
When is the American public going to say enough of this bull....????
JS

jts359
09-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Hi Jim , Mercruiser Marine did tests on E-15 and Stated is was not an acceptable motor fuel for any engine that was not designed for it , Thats about 98% of the engines on the road today , Ed

1962larksedan
09-14-2012, 09:10 PM
Even recognizing that the SDC is a large club, what's the average age of members? As the Studebaker name and vehicle gets further out of the public memory and members get older, retire and pass on. There may well be fewer members who are physically able to travel, the economy notwithstanding.

That thought crossed my mind as well reading this thread.

Apparently; cars/trucks of a certain price point when new tend to have their greatest following with people who were old enough to remember them when new. Even Tri-Five Chevys are allegedly fading in popularity compared to even 10 years ago.

Gunslinger
09-14-2012, 09:22 PM
That thought crossed my mind as well reading this thread.

Apparently; cars/trucks of a certain price point when new tend to have their greatest following with people who were old enough to remember them when new. Even Tri-Five Chevys are allegedly fading in popularity compared to even 10 years ago.

A friend who owns a concours '57 Bel Air convertible is about to put it up for sale as he sees values dropping and doesn't want to get caught short with it. Not that it won't be valueless, but the crowd growing today doesn't place the value on them his generation does and did. Younger people today who buy cars like that won't pay top dollar for a mint car when they plan on turning it into a resto-mod anyway. It's just the way the market changes.

Milaca
09-14-2012, 09:32 PM
A friend who owns a concours '57 Bel Air convertible is about to put it up for sale as he sees values dropping and doesn't want to get caught short with it. Not that it won't be valueless, but the crowd growing today doesn't place the value on them his generation does and did. Younger people today who buy cars like that won't pay top dollar for a mint car when they plan on turning it into a resto-mod anyway. It's just the way the market changes.

A few years back, it seemed like every other car at a typical car show was a 1955, 56 or 57 Chevrolet. But I have noticed lately that they are almost scarce in existence. What a difference a few years make. The only thing that doesnt change is the scarcity of Studebakers at typical car shows.

JimC
09-14-2012, 11:20 PM
I think in some cases, the older owners are getting too old to bring their cars out to every event, and the young owners have never felt a strong enough connection with the club and it's older members to really care about these shows. Of course, that's absolutely not the case in our chapter. If I can brag on them for a minute, they've really gone above and beyond in making me feel welcome, even allowing me to have input and offer to help the club in the ways that I'm able. The people in our chapter really are top shelf, and if there were more like them out there, I think these events wouldn't be shrinking near as fast as they have been.

studegary
09-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Things/generations/people/interests change.

Just this weekend, a lady told me that her husband was so proud to get a trophy at a car show for his pickup. I mentioned that when I last moved (21 years ago), I had more than three cartons of car show trophies. After so many, they are just not important anymore.

Years ago, I remember going to local car shows where there would be a row of open Model As and another row of closed Model As. Now, you might see one or two Model As and/or Ts. We had local shows with 125 Studebakers, Now, one to five is a lot.

Yesterday, I passed an excellent/redone 1957 Chevrolet four door sedan in someone's driveway. I remember when people wouldn't bother with them unless they were a convertible or a hardtop. The sedan was bright red. I would venture a guess that that was not the original color on that car.

The biggest draw for people (at least used to be) was a vehicle of the year that they were born or the year of their high school graduation. Timely comment - I went to a reunion of my high school class Friday evening. The first guy that spoke to me brought up Studebakers and seeing my letters to the Editor in "Old Cars Weekly". He owns two restored Ford pickups (1941 and 1949, IIRC). Later, a guy mentioned riding in my customized 1949 Mercury coupe that I drove to college. I didn't recognize the guy from my class or remember him riding in my car, but I certainly remember the details of my Mercury <G>.

Yesterday morning, I attended a large (county wide) senior citizen event. I wore a t shirt with a variety of Studebakers on it. I received a lot of comments on it from young, old and middle aged. The young thought that the shirt was neat. The old usually had owned at least one Studebaker. One guy, about my age, swore that he owned a 1947 just like the Hawk picured on the shirt. He knows that I know Studebakers, yet I could not convince him that he was off by a decade. One middle aged lady mentioned that her father was a Studebaker salesman at Pitcher Motors, Poughkeepsie, NY (the largest Studebaker dealer around the Mid-Hudson Valley). I didn't think to ask her if she had any Studebaker items.

prez55
09-16-2012, 12:37 PM
To Joe's comment about location for next years Tri-State meet. At this time we are looking at a couple locations in Maggie Valley about 2 miles west of Lake Junaluska.Lake Junaluskas field is a great location for a show but apparently the rooms leave something to be desired.We did not make our room quota or banquet numbers. Even thou we are not a business we cannot continue many years supplementing the meet. Hopefully a change of venue will help. If not . oh well. I also realize it might be time to change the name of our club to SOC. Studebaker Owners Club. David Hauser Tri-State Meet Chair

rusty65
09-16-2012, 04:21 PM
I went to to the Atlantic Zone last year in Gettysburg and it was full of cars and great times. I went to the Northeast Zone this year and it was pretty full too. Over here in the East we still party hardy!!!!!

Speaking of, when is the next Atlantic Zone meet? I had a blast at Gettysburg but had to take the daily driver..:>(

55champion
09-16-2012, 08:19 PM
David...Our room at Tri-State was really nice,no complaints here.

Avantidon
09-17-2012, 08:22 AM
Well two things. The next Atlantic Zone Meet will not be in Gettysburg as the Meet Chairmen have officially retired from the Meet promotion business. If the Tri-State Meet is in Maggie Valley i will probably be there. Need to ask Paul Johnson about the Atlantic Zone Meet location as it is up to him to find a willing Chapter to sponsor it. How about Central Virginia are you willing if you are I may be convinced to help you.

Sam Ensley
09-17-2012, 01:12 PM
I attended my first Tri-state Meet in 1994 right after I got my '49 truck. I have attended just about all of them since then. It's still my favorite meet, including the International. I have noticed fewer cars year by year. I'll bet that the combination meet next year will bring a lot more people. David, Jack, and all the other members of the club will have a good program. I am proud to be a member of the NC club