No announcement yet.

Rare? 63 Avanti R1, 4 spd, AIR, no PS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare? 63 Avanti R1, 4 spd, AIR, no PS.

Considering selling my extremely high mileage Avanti, but I'm afraid it may be hard to replace. I'll buy another eventually and definitely want AC, PS and 4 Speed trans.

My car needs so much work now that I'm thinking I can buy another one for less than the cost to restore it. (paint, chrome, interior, frame cracks, engine rebuild, steering box, axle bearings, exhaust...

I literally wore it out (over 100,000 miles by me on a car that I estimate already had 300,000) I then foolishly parked it in my barn for 15 years.

It's decision time.
    34 Dictator
    47 M5 Pickup
    48 Commander Convertible
    50 2R10 Pickup
    56 Packard Patrician
    63 Avanti

Herb Phillips: A lesser known product of the Studebaker Corporation.

how much and do you have a title raymond wise. now living nourth of the 49 parrell.
    rawise

Comment

To: oldkystude,----Well, whatever YOU paid for the car....it sure sounds like You got Your moneys worth out of it!!

Comment

No need for a worn out Avanti, but I will trade you my not worn out Ford Explorer for the '56 Packard. What time Saturday afternoon can we make the swap?

Comment

I don't know a value yet. I'm not 100% sure I want to let it go. I guess I'm trying to get my mind around the idea and want to find out if a 4 speed with AC is going to be hard to replace.

I certainly got good service out of it. When I bought it I suspected it was high mileage. I had seen a lot of cars with the brake pedal worn down to bare metal but this is the only car I have seen with a bare steel spot worn in the middle of the gas pedal.
          34 Dictator
          47 M5 Pickup
          48 Commander Convertible
          50 2R10 Pickup
          56 Packard Patrician
          63 Avanti

Comment

Sorry, had a Bronco once. Let's leave at that.

I actually am selling my other 56 Packard though. I bought it to restore. Had it shipped from Nevada. Later bought one ready to drive so this one needs a home. Rust free, unmolested and loaded. Never put a battery in it so the rest is unknown. It's got 1969 Nevada plates on it.
            34 Dictator
            47 M5 Pickup
            48 Commander Convertible
            50 2R10 Pickup
            56 Packard Patrician
            63 Avanti

Comment

Shoot me your number. I will be back in Louisville on Saturday, hopefully I will not be as late as last time and can drop by. If you have any old chainsaws laying around I can make a deal on those too.

Comment

My question remains: Is a 4 speed Studebaker Avanti R1 with factory air conditioner rare, or will I be able to find another without much trouble? This single issue will greatly affect my decision to restore my car or seek a nice driver with average miles. I'd really appreciate any advise.
                34 Dictator
                47 M5 Pickup
                48 Commander Convertible
                50 2R10 Pickup
                56 Packard Patrician
                63 Avanti

Comment

If you sell this one what you buy later will be an unknown. I would keep it and restore it. Owning it for this long at least there will be no surprises. Better the devil you know. Doesn't answer your question but may help in your decision. Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by oldkystude View Post
                    My question remains: Is a 4 speed Studebaker Avanti R1 with factory air conditioner rare, or will I be able to find another without much trouble? This single issue will greatly affect my decision to restore my car or seek a nice driver with average miles. I'd really appreciate any advise.
                    My opinion! Keep the car you have as it's hard to find the combination you have and rebuild what is required. An Avanti with that combination is a relatively low volume vehicle that would be reasonably expensive in rebuilt form. Why not take the devil you know, take it to the level you want and drive the wheels off it again.

What guarantee do you have the the better condition, more expensive car you would purchase doesn't need a lot of the work yours requires.

If I like the car I have, I'll always chose the devil I know (to repeat a phrase) to the one I don't.

$0.02 worth for free.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                    X