Buying collector cars- a MUST READ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying collector cars- a MUST READ

Saw this on the eBay sidebar under the above heading; should be sent to anyone new to the hobby, written by Collectorcarcentral:

There are many things to consider when buying a project level car. Almost any car is "Restorable" but not all cars should be restored. As much as you think you will NEVER sell the car you are restoring, it is more than likely that someday you will. It is important to be realistic about the possible value of a car, and keep that in mind while restoring it. You will almost never get more that the #2 level value for a car as listed in the most current edition of the "Standard Guide to Cars and Prices". If the top value is 14,500, it won't matter that you have over 25k in the restoration.

The Staff at CCC llc has a combined 60+ years of experience buying, restoring, and selling vintage cars. We have learned a bit about them along the way. Here are a few points to consider-

Original is generally best. While it is true that you can make many modifications to increase performance, comfort, drivability, ect. It has been our experience that all original cars bring the best prices.
    Hot Rods are Tricky to Sell! Look at your driver's license. If it doesn't say "Boyd Coddington" or "George Barriss" chances are people are not going to attach a huge value to your ability to build a Hot Rod. Exceptionally nice pre-war Street Rods seem to be the only current exception to this rule.
    Know the Pecking order of body styles. The body style of a vehicle can have a massive effect on the overall value. Cars of the same make/year/model can be up to 4 times greater/lesser value based on the body style. With a few exceptions it goes like this-
    1-Convertible
    2-2 Door Hardtop
    3- 2 Door Post (sedan)
    4- 4 door hardtop
    5-4 Door Post (sedan)
    Then start at the largest engine available that year and work your way down. Bigger is always better (almost).
    Be aware of trim/performance packages. Do your research and know the difference between a "Special", "Deluxe" and "Bel-air". In the case of early 1960's Chevrolets an "Impala" trim car can be up to 40% more valuable than a "Bel-Air" trim model.

Be Realistic about your level of ability-
    Any car "Can" be restored, but if this is your first project the likelyhood of doing a successful frame off restoration on a car that is a basket case is very low. Start with a runnning/driving car in need of moderate cosmetic restoration. Know what you can do yourself, and what will need to be hired out. Get some idea from local shops what they charge to do the work you will need.

Be realistic about what you can expect from a vintage car. These are 30-70 year old vehicles. They are not going to be perfect, and even if they were "Like New" the technology that went into building them is still MANY years old. If you want a new car, buy one. If you want an vintage car with character, accept that it will take work, and more maintainence than a new car. We feel it is worth it.

I would add a few things, like:

Always buy the best you can afford

Be patient, especially when you tackle a job you aren't experienced with

If you lose interest, bite the bullet and SELL IT! Get it to someone who will continue on with it, rather than letting it deteriorate.

And: Repeatedly re-read the first and last paragraphs above!!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Since this obviously originated on another site, it may be subject to copyright provisions. However, that would not preclude us from gathering the same sort of sage advice and having Mr. Shaw insert it as a "Sticky" at the top of the page. We could include Stude specific issues to watch out for (i.e Avanti hog troughs, rust, rust and even rust).

Comment

Since this obviously originated on another site, it may be subject to copyright provisions. However, that would not preclude us from gathering the same sort of sage advice and having Mr. Shaw insert it as a "Sticky" at the top of the page. We could include Stude specific issues to watch out for (i.e Avanti hog troughs, rust, rust and even rust).

Comment

That is interesting, Bams. Though the advice is no doubt well-intentioned, I am not so sure that the ones who need the lesson will be inclined to benefit from it before the fact. At best, they may only be capable of learning from bitter experience. [8]

Comment

That is interesting, Bams. Though the advice is no doubt well-intentioned, I am not so sure that the ones who need the lesson will be inclined to benefit from it before the fact. At best, they may only be capable of learning from bitter experience. [8]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wally

Bob - An excellent read...[^] However, I suspect that many people who "need" to read and heed these words, won't.[xx(] All the same, thanks for posting this.[8D]

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar
            </h5>

Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wally

Bob - An excellent read...[^] However, I suspect that many people who "need" to read and heed these words, won't.[xx(] All the same, thanks for posting this.[8D]

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar
              </h5>

Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander

Comment

This is a good item that is well written (except for misspelling Barris) and I agree with most of it. I do not entirely agree with the stock vs. modified value part. I have seen nice modified '53-'54 C/Ks selling in the $30K-$50K range, but I don't recall stock ones bringing that much. Look how much Dave L. and John P. recently got for their modified Studebaker pickups. I don't think that they would have gotten that much for a stock pickup in similar condition. One exception is the restored four wheel drive pickup. That is because it was not only a good restoration, but also an extremely rare four wheel drive.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

This is a good item that is well written (except for misspelling Barris) and I agree with most of it. I do not entirely agree with the stock vs. modified value part. I have seen nice modified '53-'54 C/Ks selling in the $30K-$50K range, but I don't recall stock ones bringing that much. Look how much Dave L. and John P. recently got for their modified Studebaker pickups. I don't think that they would have gotten that much for a stock pickup in similar condition. One exception is the restored four wheel drive pickup. That is because it was not only a good restoration, but also an extremely rare four wheel drive.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                  X