separate steering column on 62 gt hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: separate steering column on 62 gt hawk

I am just about ready to pull the body off the frame on my 62 GT Hawk. The last thing is to seperate the steering column from the steering box. There isn't the typical "rag joint" with 4 bolts to seperate the column. I am looking at a collar with a single bolt and then the column connects to the steering box. Any help out there? I am very excited to get the body off and get started on the resto.

To: gradyman,----I believe You should disconnect the steering box at frame and pull it back into car body.

Comment

Yeah,treat the box and shaft as one piece. Wish I was young enough again to get excited about working on a car!
      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I dont think you can pull the box into the car as the firewall hole is too small? I may be wrong but remember getting a column and box out of a car at the JY once and had to use tin snips to enlarge the hole to get it in the car. Maybe would work if the pitman arm is off though. No other option at the time for me since no puller and also car sitting flat on ground so could not go down and out with it.

The steering shaft is 1 pc with the box so the best you can do is remove the outer column and shifter parts. Should be able to then remove the steering box and pull out from under the car after the linkage is removed.

Jeff in ND

Comment

I agree with Jeff. You need to disconnect the steering linkage from either the Pitman arm or the center link (depending on if you have power steering or not) & pull the body off with the steering column as an assembly or pull the column/gearbox assy together first out the bottom of the car & then pull the body off the frame.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

To: gradyman,--- Unless You plan on 'getting into' the steering column-steering box assy, do Yourself a favor and just pull it back into body. (Pitman arm may or may not have to be removed)
            It will fit.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I wound up disconnecting the pitman arm and leaving the box attached to the body. Glad I still had that pitman arm puller I bought about a hundred years ago. Location of pitman arm made it a bit of a challenge. I also had to remove the drivers side exhaust manifold as I could not get the pitman arm out with it in place. Any ideas where I can purchase a good quality rotisserie.

Comment

Working...
              X