SNM mention in this weekend's USA Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNM mention in this weekend's USA Today

On page 5 of section E of this weekend's USA Today newspaper, Indy driver Tony Raines spends the entire page talking about his favorite places and things from growing up in Indiana. He mentions, "For History, check out the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend. Studebaker made a lot of horse carriages before making cars in the early part of the 1900's until the 1960's. They've got a lot of other great things in the museum. If you go the proving grounds, you can see, from the air, the word 'Studebaker' spelled out in pine trees. That's pretty cool."

There's also a mention, with photo, of the St. Elmo Steak House in downtown Indianapolis, there since 1902. I always wanted to try it when I worked there, heard it's great, but never made it, unfortunately.

He also mentioned heading to Amish Country in northern Indiana "..for a little culture". He mentions Nappanee and Shipshewana, particularly. We almost always hit Shipshewana on the way to South Bend..we enjoy the Blue Gate Restaurant there, and the local scenery.

Interesting plug for the SNM!

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Bill,

When I left South Bend (or actually the drag races in Osceola) on Friday night I hit a massive traffic tie up on I-90. Traffic did not move for an hour and I was stopped next to a crossover and did an U turn and backtracked almost 20 miles to the previous exit.

As a result, I ended up in Amish country that I never would have seen otherwise. Since it stayed light until almost 10:00 I was able to sightsee quite a bit. I suppose I caused a comment or two as I passed Amish buggies towing my own Studebaker buggy.

Gary

Comment

Bill,

When I left South Bend (or actually the drag races in Osceola) on Friday night I hit a massive traffic tie up on I-90. Traffic did not move for an hour and I was stopped next to a crossover and did an U turn and backtracked almost 20 miles to the previous exit.

As a result, I ended up in Amish country that I never would have seen otherwise. Since it stayed light until almost 10:00 I was able to sightsee quite a bit. I suppose I caused a comment or two as I passed Amish buggies towing my own Studebaker buggy.

Gary

Comment

Working...
      X