PDA

View Full Version : Drove my Studebaker YESTERDAY...

Jim B PEI
09-08-2012, 09:21 PM
These things happen. Took the Wagonaire down yesterday afternoon to the local PetroCanada and filled up with a bit more than $50.00 of nice premium (free from ethanol) gasoline. Go a few cobwebs dislodged, found that the brakes were working evenly, the overdrive was engaging and disengaging smoothly like it should, and that all the lights worked. All gauges reporting good news, all tires as they should be.

Then, just before I was about to set out this morning for our IDYSD 'cross the Island all-day cruise and picnic, followed by a musical evening and a BBQ', I got word that a death had occurred, and there were arrangements to make and schedules to change for some friends visiting me from Ontario, but off Island in Cape Breton NS for a few days. A simply beautiful sunny day, but there were things to be done while I waited for my friends to cut short their trip and return to the Island.

Tomorrow promises to be miserable, with 50+ mm of rain (over 2 inches) thanks to outriders from Hurricane Leslie, I believe. So, maybe Monday I get to drive my Studebaker again :-(

I hope everyone else had a good time everywhere.

studebaker-R2-4-me
09-08-2012, 10:29 PM
We were in that same rain-boat here in Ontario. Rained all last night and through the early morning, cleared up in the afternoon and is raining again now. I did not take the Hawk out of the garage but did go out there for a visit and pumped up a tire. Maybe tomorrow I will take her out for a little tire spinning, a few chirps and try to find a muffler'd-up rice burner in between the sun to rain transitions.

Allen

2moredoors
09-09-2012, 06:46 AM
I took the Studebaker out yesterday morning for IDYSD. I had promised to take my son out for breakfast, he had just returned from a few days in Brazil. It rained so hard I could hardly see with the wipers going full speed, the wind was so strong it blew down a tree on the road a couple of miles from the restaurant just in front of me so I took that as an omen and turned back, parked the car in the garage and we went out for breakfast in the VW. The wind calmed down, the rain turned to light rain showers the sun came out. Breakfast was great and my Studebaker was parked inside the garage for the rest of the morning. Then in the afternoon the sun came out I went over to my wife's cousin's place took him for a drive in the country and repeated the event for my daughter and grandson. All in all not a bad day for International Drive Your Studebaker Day.

rodnutrandy
09-09-2012, 07:20 AM
In Sw Ohio it was a pretty day. I took my M pickup to a car show where I found a another Studebaker In attendance. It was a red Gran Turismo. So I know at least 2 Studebakers were out yesterday.

geojerry
09-09-2012, 07:49 AM
In Ft. Lauderdale area, Hot & Humid. Drove the Avanti to our Sat. mornng coffee meet at our local Starbucks.

Bob Bryant
09-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Drove the Studebaker around 25 miles over to Old Saybrook and back. The weather forecast probably reduced the appearances of cars by about 50%. The heavy weather was further west and traveled NE. It got a little windy and I think I was hit by two drops of water. The observers who checked out the cars had a good time and so did the drivers. Apple Rehab's annual show is good medicine for the residents. They enjoy the memories.

Roscomacaw
09-09-2012, 06:52 PM
I took Pete out for an afternoon drive on IDYSD. Hadn't run him in about a week, but he was his usual "let's git it on!" self. I don't know how far we drove, but it was mostly country roads amongst orange and olive groves. Very light traffic on a bright, sunny afternoon. When we got home later, Pete was happy and so was I.

stephenj
09-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Took the 58 Commander out yesterday after the rain had finished, then today went out in the Champion and ran into Allan in his R? GT on the beach strip. 2 good drives!

whacker
09-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Drove my 51 Commander with the 56 289 President engine for only the third time this year. I've been driving my 53 Champion all summer, as it only has a six with a one barrel! Anyway, I drove my son to work in the early afternoon, got on it a little to open up the secondarys. Dropped him off, and on the way home I heard real loud rear end whine from the Dana 27. Pulled into the garage and checked it out. A pinion gear would probably fix it, but I've been meaning to upgrade to a stronger rear end anyway. Today I went out to the local U-Pull-It and found a 1990 Ranger F6 code rear end for $100. 373 with limited slip, same bolt pattern, ten inch drum brakes. I'll be going back next weekend to pull it out. I won't need a drum puller to do a brake job on this one anymore! Hope I can get it in before winter! Drove my 53 Champion the rest of the day yesterday and today. All in all, more fun than I expected.