Old Studebaker literature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Studebaker literature

Every other Friday there is an auction not far from here that I like to go to and every so often they get some really nice stuff to sell there. Tonight they had a book that I didn't have in my collection yet and I had only seen one other copy of; "The history of the Studebaker corporation" by A. R. Erskine, 1918. I looked through it and found an original of Mr. Erskine's business cards. I figured that I would go up to about $60 on the book... Then somebody decided to run me up and... But I got the thing. I've seen copies of the same book before but usually they are bigger and have a solid brown cover. Is this rare?

Chris Dresbach

Chris; See my post and photos at the bottom of this thread:

The 1918 book is more scare than the '24 book and though smaller usually brings a better price. Both come up on Ebay with regularity.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
      Tonight they had a book that I didn't have in my collection yet and I had only seen one other copy of; "The history of the Studebaker corporation" by A. R. Erskine, 1918. I looked through it and found an original of Mr. Erskine's business cards.]
      I believe this would be considered a presentation card, not a "business card". A business card would have his contact information, like address and telephone. A social card would also just have his name, but not "compliments of".
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        I believe this would be considered a presentation card, not a "business card". A business card would have his contact information, like address and telephone. A social card would also just have his name, but not "compliments of".
        I wondered about that since there is no contact information. This does raise a question for me though. In the preface it starts out "This book is intended for all stock holders, dealers, and employees of Studebaker" and signed A. R. E. Would Erskine's card have came with the book? I've never seen one before.
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

This book is on google's open library
          sigpic
          55 President Deluxe
          64 Commander
          66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
            I wondered about that since there is no contact information. This does raise a question for me though. In the preface it starts out "This book is intended for all stock holders, dealers, and employees of Studebaker" and signed A. R. E. Would Erskine's card have came with the book? I've never seen one before.
            have at least three of the Erskine presentation cards. I have found them in both the 1918 version as well as 1924. I am guessing they were in most of the copies distributed but probably fell out. They do, in my opinion, add to the value and interest of the books.
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Chris I had a look through my collection and found that I had 3 different versions of that book. The original smaller type, then the later reprint with brown cover, then the blue cover book that is a bit thicker. Click image for larger version

Name:	books.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1675448Click image for larger version

Name:	books.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1675448
              Dave Pink
              Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
              1925 ER Tourer