This guy could use some help from JDP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This guy could use some help from JDP

Might be a nice car, can't tell from the listing and 1 photo.

Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Yep, not a very informative ad. Do you suppose this actually has leather seats or does the owner not know the difference between leather and vinyl?
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

This one raises a few questions.

This is the second time this car has been listed. The last time, I recieved no reply to my e-mail regarding more info, pics or to schedule an inspection (I live in Pasadena, about 45 min away). On that auction a bid showed up for 8k pretty fast after my e-mail, then a day before close a second bid of 16k miraculously crosses the reserve line. This auction I again asked for more info and I paste the communication as follows (keep in mind, the e-mails are from most recent to first);

"Dear lasallecadillac,Hi Pat,You can call me at 818-406-2361, this is my cell #. You can direct e-mail me at spokejr@sbcglobal.net, especially if you have any further pics of the car.Thanks,Ken Buchanan- thespokejr

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      To: thespokejr
      Subject: Re: Vehicle condition: thespokejr sent a message about Studebaker : Avanti not sure what the trim is called #251147273749
      Sent Date: Sep-06-12 17:30:58 PDT

Dear thespokejr,Please send me a tel no and I will call to set up an appointment for you.Pat- lasallecadillac

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      To: lasallecadillac
      Subject: Vehicle condition: thespokejr sent a message about Studebaker : Avanti not sure what the trim is called #251147273749
      Sent Date: Sep-06-12 13:21:22 PDT

Dear lasallecadillac,Greetings, you have a really sharp looking car but you need to post a few more pics to assess the overall condition. Key areas are the engine bay, frame and hog troughs, other sides of the exterior as well as the interior. Is the car available for inspection? I live in Pasadena so I can easily come out.Thanks, Ken "

So far, no call and that has been 2 days, note, somebody since then has bid 8k again...

If I get to look at the car, I'll let you know. If anybody else is interested, let me know.

Ken

Comment

When I saw that listing, I saw "the car came from Chicago" part and decided that it probably has rusty torque boxes and/or frame. I figure that the guy discovered this after it reached California and is now trying to recoup his outlay. I could be wrong, but that is what I read into the listing.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          When I saw that listing, I saw "the car came from Chicago" part and decided that it probably has rusty torque boxes and/or frame. I figure that the guy discovered this after it reached California and is now trying to recoup his outlay. I could be wrong, but that is what I read into the listing.
          Rust!? What rust? Don't you know, these are fiberglass, they can't rust!

How many times have I heard that line when I've called on an Avanti

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
            Rust!? What rust? Don't you know, these are fiberglass, they can't rust!

How many times have I heard that line when I've called on an Avanti

Ken
            This reminds me of when I advertised an Avanti II for sale (owned by a friend, not me) as being rusty. I got a lot of grief on that ad. The car did sell, eventually. That Avanti was so rusty that the doors did not work well.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Well, Pat (the seller's name) has put some pics to the ad. A nice looking car with some odd mods. I like the water valve in the engine bay shot, by the corner of the expansion tank. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Avant...item3a798b4615 .
              I live in Pasadena, if I weren't about to go out of town I would be glad to look at it. It probably won't sell. I'm just guessing that the reserve is around 16k judging by the last time it was listed so if you want someone to look her over next time around, I would be glad to. That is assuming Pat gets back to you with a time and address...

Ken Buchanan

Comment

I wonder how he drives the other cars in his driveway if he has trouble driving a stick?
                George Cagle
                North Alabama Chapter

1937 Dictator
                1947 M5
                1948 Commander
                1963 Avanti

Comment

Originally posted by GWCagle View Post
                  I wonder how he drives the other cars in his driveway if he has trouble driving a stick?
                  He may be able to drive a stick, but has some kind of problem. My wife enjoys driving a stick shift, but working the clutch hurts her hip.
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

We now have an update.

I spoke with Mary (the car's actual owner)by phone today. I still don't know who Pat is but I assume this is the fellow who has been helping her with caring for her 25 various cars. It seems she and her late boyfriend both collected cars (he had 30 something himself).

She bought this car back in 2003 and it was the one she claims to have used the most until her hip reached the point of no return. After having the hip redone in 2010, she has found that she still cannot push hard enough on the Avanti's clutch without too much discomfort. She says this isn't the only car she will be selling in the next year.

She seems to be pretty sincere but not totally up on what she has. Her original reserve was $16k and she does realize that that was too high so her price is negotiable. In talking it seems that the car does need work, especially since it sat in indoor storage for quite awhile while she was recovering. According to her it needs the carb rebuilt, a new fuel pump, a tune up and the paint is lifting off in a number of places. For the time being there is a jury rigged electric fuel pump pulling gas from the filler neck so while the car starts, it isn't practical to test drive very far but her driveway is fairly long.

She admits that she doesn't know what hog troughs are but once explained, understands why their condition is critical. She made an interesting comment, "well I did put a 6" long handled mirror on the car seat so the frame could be seen, from the sounds of it a good thing huh?".

She said she has had a couple of offers but nothing serious, it sounds as if these were numbers offered over the phone by people who haven't even seen the car in person.

Long story short, she isn't far from where I live. If anybody would like for me to go look at the car and take better pics of the frame and hog troughs, let me know. I am no expert on Avantis but I have been looking for long enough, I am beginning to get the idea of what to look for.

Ken Buchanan

Comment

Working...
                    X