Dire need for a 1964 gt trunk lid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dire need for a 1964 gt trunk lid

The ferrous termites have had a feast on the rear lip of the trunk lid that I have, bad enough to make it past saving. Can anyone help??????????
    Attached Files

Originally posted by 30seagrave View Post
    The ferrous termites have had a feast on the rear lip of the trunk lid that I have, bad enough to make it past saving. Can anyone help??????????
    I would continue searching, but that lid is both rare and repairable.
    I would start the repair. Make replacement sections and then cut out the rusty part.
    A friend of mine searched for years for a rare trunk lid. His was worse than yours. When he just got finished rebuilding what he had to work with, he found another one at Hershey.

EDIT: You could put a 1953-1955 C/K trunk lid on it. Many/most would not notice the difference.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have to agree with Gary, as SUPER Rare as those beautiful '64 GT Decklids are, every one still in one piece needs to be restored, you may never find one better than yours.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by 30seagrave
        I am trying to buy one from an estate
        Dwayne Jacobson

Comment

Originally posted by 30seagrave
          The estate wants 6 to 700 what do you think
          Dwayne Jacobson

Comment

You can get a new fiberglass bolton for $495 from http://www.classglassperformance.com...tudebaker.html
            Jim
            Often in error, never in doubt
            http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

It doesn't help your problem, but you could be looking for a good overlay for a '62 or '63 GT.
              Perry
              \'50 Business Champion
              \'50 Starlight Champion
              \'60 Lark Convertible,
              \'63 GT R1,
              \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

If all else fells, you could take a 1963 or older Hawk trunklid and fill in the indentation with body filler until the shape matches that of a 1964 lid but you may want to own stock in a body filler manufacturing company before purchasing.
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Ya but then need to open up the inner lid to make the 64 lock fit like a 64 should. at least that's what I think.
                  Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                  If all else fells, you could take a 1963 or older Hawk trunklid and fill in the indentation with body filler until the shape matches that of a 1964 lid but you may want to own stock in a body filler manufacturing company before purchasing.
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I have been looking for a good '62-'63 trunk lid for years now, I can't imagine how hard it would be to come across a '64! Filling the recess in a '62/'63 lid would not be feasable, it would eventually crack and probably be too heavy to stay up. Might be able to shape and weld a panel to replace the overlay recess, but that would take some very skillful metalsmithing.

Comment

Originally posted by 30seagrave View Post
                      First, I'd find a good body shop and get an estimate. Might be cheaper than finding another one.

If that is financially out of the question, ask around at car meets or auto paint stores for the local folks that build panels for rodders. In my little corner of the world, I know a fellow that has a small shop and wants/needs his independence. He's always looking for work and his metal skills are excellent. He charges way less than professional shops. The HAMB is full of these kind of folks so I know they exist everywhere. Just ask around, they may even find you then.

Bob

Comment

If I ever found a 1964 deck lid I would buy it on the spot no matter what the guy was asking for it! I dread the day that I am rear-ended by someone not paying attention as happened in Ocean City Maryland a few years ago in our Lark convertible. My girlfriend was pretty upset that day when I had to take her aside from the accident to tell her not to worry about it. I guess she did not remember the day we toured and pointed up to the hundred or so deck lids available at Studebaker International for 1963's.

As for your deck lid, it is totally repairable. Check out the Classic Industries Website which has a lower deck lid repair strip listed for $45. I would start with that or you may save a bit money if you bought another 64 to get another lid....but that is another story and path I'm sure you don't want to go down.

Allen
                        1964 GT Hawk
                        PSMCDR 2014
                        Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                        PSMCDR 2013
                        Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

My body man can fix most anything I take in, I have a trunk lid that some one started to fill in but did not finish, not to bad either and as for other trunks I have them a couple of 56's and any good 62-63 that I come on with good rear ripples I make in to a 57-61 they are the ones that need a nice clean back the 62-63 can use an over lay to cover hard to fix ripples, 2 at the blaster right now, see my post about South Bend in May.
                          Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

Hi guys - I have a 1964 GT Hawk for sale on San Diego Craigslist. The car does not have a powertrain but is a solid car in a perfect position for a repaint and motor installation. ($4.000)

You can see the ad here: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/3252005486.htmlP
                            Perhaps you could combine the trunk from an older Lincoln, one with the tire impression in it for a custom look.

Comment

If it wasn't for the $1200.00+ transportation charge, I would definitely be interested, might even offer up the collection of supercharger bits that came with my 64 that definitely was not a factory supercharged car(although some of the mounting pieces have been IDed as Hawk parts). I guess that I need to bone up on my bodywork skills!!

Comment

Working...
                              X