PDA

View Full Version : Undercoating weight

00RACER
09-06-2012, 02:24 PM
A couple month ago, there was a post on Gordon Williams about how he bought two new Studebakers, one for his wife and one to go racing. Studebaker thought since he deleted the undercoating, but was buying two new cars, they would throw in the undercoating on the race car.
Back in the day-1963- factory race cars and high budget cars would be bought new, then stripped down and acid dipped to get rid of weight, so they could add weight where they wanted for weight transfer. Factory cars-i.e. Chrysler, Pontiac, Ford even built cars with aluminum front ends to get rid of front end weight.
I am in the process of building a frame off clone 63 Daytona convertible R2, 4-speed Super Lark. I scrapped off all the undercoating and put it in 5-gallon buckets. Guess the weight? 75 pounds of undercoating excluding the dust from wire wheeling. Now you know why Gordon Williams was so upset with the free undercoating Studebaker put on his race car. 100 pounds equals 1/10 of a second in the quarter mile. When you were running in NHRA classes back then, that was a ton of ET.
Studebaker was just too generous!!!

StudeRich
09-06-2012, 04:08 PM
I do have to wonder though why a Convertible? You could save HUNDEREDS of Lbs. with a Studebaker Standard, or even a Regal 2 Dr. Sedan! Seventy-Five Lbs. is nothing compared to that. :confused:

Maybe because that is what you had?
The only problen I see with trying to lighten up a Convert. is a Convertible NEEDS all the weight it can get just to keep a Convert. together.

00RACER
09-06-2012, 05:05 PM
I am not building the convertible to get rid of weight. When doing a frame off it is just normal to get rid of the ugly stuff. Secondly, this is the first car I ever owned and I originally did a restore on it when I was in high school. I just want to do everthing right this time, right the way a new Super Lark would have come off the showroom floor.

sweetolbob
09-06-2012, 06:25 PM
I do have to wonder though why a Convertible? You could save HUNDEREDS of Lbs. with a Studebaker Standard, or even a Regal 2 Dr. Sedan! Seventy-Five Lbs. is nothing compared to that. :confused:

Maybe because that is what you had?
The only problen I see with trying to lighten up a Convert. is a Convertible NEEDS all the weight it can get just to keep a Convert. together.

Rich

IIRC in the old days of drag racing it was advertised (weight to HP) that determined your class. The 'vert may have dropped him into a lower class where he was more competitive and pulling off the undercoating made sense.

Bob

wittsend
09-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Bob is correct. NHRA used (and altered) factor HP ratings vs weight to classify cars in the Stock class categories. Radio and heater deletes were also common. Station wagons were popular to get the extended weight over the rear wheels as were convertibles to meet a class weight break.

00RACER: I am unfamiliar with Gordon Williams but I assume your clone is a tribute car of what he ran? Also, I recently added to your post regarding rear sway bars http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?64412-Wanted-Rear-stabilizer-kit-for-63-66-lark&highlight=sway+bar My installation isn't a "factory Studebaker" bar, but it might be helpful.

Tom

00RACER
09-07-2012, 01:41 PM
TOM
THANKS FOR THE INPUT.I WAS LOOKING FOR AN NOS OR GOOD USED ORIGINAL SWAY BAR SETUP, AS I AM DOING THIS CAR AS IT WOULD HAVE COME OFF THE SHOWROOM FLOOR.
I ONLY PUT THE WEIGHT OF THE UNDERCOATING ON HERE TO LET PEOPLE KNOW HOW MUCH IT WEIGHED, AND WITH THAT WEIGHT TO REALIZE HOW UPSET GORDON WILLIAMS MUST HAVE BEEN
THANKS
PAUL

cycledog
09-07-2012, 02:02 PM
00RACER: I am unfamiliar with Gordon Williams but I assume your clone is a tribute car of what he ran? Also, I recently added to your post regarding rear sway bars http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?64412-Wanted-Rear-stabilizer-kit-for-63-66-lark&highlight=sway+bar My installation isn't a "factory Studebaker" bar, but it might be helpful.

Tom[/QUOTE]
Check this
http://www.classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=37668