Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you use a 318 mopar fuel pump on the 259 engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Can you use a 318 mopar fuel pump on the 259 engine?

I thought I read someone asking about using a 318 mopar fuel pump on a 289<So my question is can you use it on a 259 cu. in engine? My car isn't running at this time ,and I have it at a friends house , and he was gonna check it out. Last year I had the fuel pump changed,and now I don't think fuel is getting to the carb. Thank you Mike

NO! not in it's unmodified form, the actuating lever will need to match the shape of the H.D. Carter high volume Super Pump used on the R Series engines. You will need an old type pump with screws that hold the Diaphraphm and upper and lower housing halfs together, not the crimped type.

On a standard 259/289 V-8, the best option is to rebuild an old original Carter Pump with the available kit.
    Option #2 buy the correct aftermarket pump from a Studebaker Vendor at: http://studebakervendors.com

A rusted out or clogged fuel line will cause no fuel to the Pump & Carb. also.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-28-2012, 02:12 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker has a jig he uses to properly bend the 318 MoPar pump actuating arm to work on Studebaker V8s.

I have one of his so-converted pumps on my "normal" 1964 259 Daytona sedan and it works very well. I can't help but think the increased capacity hasn't helped reduce the car's propensity to vapor lock. In fact, it has not vapor-locked once since I put Phil's pump on, whereas it used to be a chronic vapor-locker.

To confirm, though: You cannot take a 318 / 340 /360 MoPar-application fuel pump right out of the box and bolt it on a Studebaker V8. BP
      Last edited by BobPalma; 08-28-2012, 03:44 PM.
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

As I'm thinking: Mopar s.b.'s 273-360 are all the same exept for the 360's engine-mount, right?
        That would narrowing the eventual search a bit.
        Nox.

Comment

As I'm thinking: Mopar s.b.'s 273-360 are all the same
          Mopar weenies are at least as picky as CASOs about accuracy. So yes, for clarification, small-block Mopar fuel pumps are pretty much all the same, so if one is looking to interchange a Mopar pump, wait, there's more!

There were two distinct versions of the Mopar 318". The hemi-based A-series was built from '56-66 as a wide-block polysphere engine in many different Plymouth, Dodge, Dodge truck, DeSoto, Chrysler and Bristol versions, including but not inclusively 277", 301", 313", 318" and 325".

The A-engines were supplanted by the closely related, but fifty-five pounds lighter LA V8 engines. Bore center and bore length were the same, but the head design was a conventional wedge. The LA design was built from '64-'03 in 273", 318", 340", 360" V8s and included a V6 version as well as the Viper V10.

Bottom line good news is that fuel pump design had a very long production run and should be widely available for a still longer time.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

I've got replacement pumps if you want a new one. Yes they are new after market pumps with the new seals in them for the gas we have to run tody.
            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

I have a couple friends that have 4-barrel carbs on 289's and they bolted on mopar 318 fuel pumps and these pumps work perfectly. I also put a mopar 318 pump on my 259 with a 2-barrel. The 318 pump pushes to much gas for the 2-barrel bowl to hold, so I put a regulator in the gas line between the pump and carb. Fine tuned it till the carb was happy with the amount of gas it is getting it works great. Also the mopar pump does not spray oil all over the engine block like the stude pump does.
              Jim Barker
              '70' Avanti II

Comment

Jim; how many Months, or Years have you been running that Pump with a completely WRONG actuator LEVER?

Overstroking the pump will cause Diaphragm failure and Fuel in the Oil.
                Just compare a Carter Studebaker Pump or even a leaky Airtex one to your MoPar and you will see that it is a very bad choice.

A few others have none this with much worse results than blowing out the pump, Cam damage, Engine Contamination from chunks of Lever and more are possible. ... Forwarned is better than hindsight or something like that! -Just saying!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                X