Stude Chassis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude Chassis

Just found an ad in "Rod and Custom" for rolling Studebaker Chassis '53-'61. J.W. Rod Garage, 948 W. Silver Beach Rd. Belgium, WI. 53004. www.jwrodgarage.com. ph. 888-414-8787. I'm not connected in any way, just passing on information. -Jim

Looks like an M2 modified frame.
    $4900

Originally posted by jrlemke View Post
    Just found an ad in "Rod and Custom" for rolling Studebaker Chassis '53-'61. J.W. Rod Garage, 948 W. Silver Beach Rd. Belgium, WI. 53004. www.jwrodgarage.com. ph. 888-414-8787. I'm not connected in any way, just passing on information. -Jim
    Attached Files
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

While that frame is substantially less expensive that an Art Morrision unit, I'd sure like it to look more like the Chebby or Mopar unit above for the same price with all the extra bracing.

Bob

Comment

Actually that is just a bare frame, by the time you outfit it with front and rear suspension plus a rear end, I believe you are going to be in the same ball park as the Art Morrison units. In any case I think it is great that Studebakers are popular enough for these providers to be offering products for us. Fatman Fabrications is another that offers a matching front stub for Studebakers.
        Last edited by Pat Dilling; 08-27-2012, 07:22 AM.
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

It's my understanding that the Rod Garage unit is easier to install than the Morrison unit - it requires less fabbing and it has all the proper mounts. Has anyone on the forum used one of these Rod Garage frames?
          Scott Rodgers
          Los Angeles
          SDC Member since 1989
          \'60 Lark HT
          \'63 Wagonaire
          \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Also, what is so different about the GT Hawks that makes this frame unusable for them?
            Scott Rodgers
            Los Angeles
            SDC Member since 1989
            \'60 Lark HT
            \'63 Wagonaire
            \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Originally posted by scott.rodgers View Post
              Also, what is so different about the GT Hawks that makes this frame unusable for them?
              Length of wheelbase. The Hawk wheelbase is about four inches longer.
              Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
              Kenmore, Washington
              hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
              '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
              '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
              '69 Pontiac Firebird
              (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Mike Where is the 4 inches. I have managed to put GT frames under 2 53 hardtops and only had to do some outrigger changes. David

Comment

Originally posted by prez55 View Post
                  Mike Where is the 4 inches. I have managed to put GT frames under 2 53 hardtops and only had to do some outrigger changes. David
                  That's because a '53 hardtop is the same wheelbase as a GT.
                  Wagons and most sedans would be a different story...

Which brings me to this- what wheelbase would be 'standard' for a car between '53 and '61?
                  I know a lot about Studebakers, but I don't understand what that might mean.
                  Unless of couse they are only talking about C/K bodied cars.
                  Last edited by StudeDave57; 08-27-2012, 09:08 AM. Reason: added words
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

My assumption is that these frames are only for C/K's - I first heard about them in a forum discussion as being a better alternative for C/K's than the Morrison frames. However, this makes the "standard wheelbase" designation in the ad confusing.
                    Scott Rodgers
                    Los Angeles
                    SDC Member since 1989
                    \'60 Lark HT
                    \'63 Wagonaire
                    \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

AND offer something more thAn the Pinto...oh...sorry...I mean the Mustang II front suspension.
                      At least Morrison offeres the C4 or 5 Vette and other suspension parts.

Not putting these guys down, I haven't seen their work up front and personal, but from the work I have seen (and have), at/from Morrison, I'd be getting one from them, even if it took a little more work.
                      As Bob said, the Rod Garage frame looks to be missing some body mounts, along with a fair amount of rail support...more like the 55-57 frame shown..!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by prez55 View Post
                        If my references are correct, in 1953 the Champion and Commander models had 116.5 inch wheelbases but the Commander Regal has a 120.5 inch wheelbase. In 1954 the only models with the longer wheelbase were the Commander Regal and the Land Cruiser. In 1955 it was the President and the State. In 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961 it was the Hawks but all other models in 57 and 58 were 116.5-inches and 59 to 61 were either 108.5 or 113 inches.

They don't say that this is a long-wheelbase chassis. Art Morrison calls his chassis built for a Hawk a long-wheelbase chassis. Most models made from 53 to 58 are 116.5 and only a few from 59 to 61 are 120.5 so I suspect that when they call it a standard wheelbase they are referring to the shorter wheelbase.

It's an easy question to answer. Just give 'em a call.
                        Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                        Kenmore, Washington
                        hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                        '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                        '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                        '69 Pontiac Firebird
                        (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

All of the C/K models from 1953 to 1964 are on a 120.5 inch wheel base and the frames can be interchanged. Some may require some adjustments as prez55 said.
                          Pat Dilling
                          Olivehurst, CA
                          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

What Pat said. There were were C/K Commanders and Champions with the longer wheelbase and Sedan type Commanders and Champions with the shorter wheelbase.
                            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
                            X