Over protective Grandma.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over protective Grandma.

We live on a small part of a once large farm in Jeff Davis County Georgia. This land has been in my wife's family for 6 generations. We are surrounded by her relatives.Almost every one within a mile radius is related to her. My middle daughter,Cilicia, lives on the same piece of property as us. Her children are Joshua and Haleigh. Our house is at one end where there are fields and pasture while her's is secluded in a patch of woods on the other end. Its only about a 1/4 mile and there is a long strait dirt road untill you turn down a lane that goes into the woods to her house.

Josh has always been an independant youngster who wants to do things on his own. This does not set well with my wife, usually known here as Miss Edie, or G-Ma.
    When Josh was a small lad He would walk or ride his bike up here to hang out with Papa or to see what goodies G-Ma had stashed away. When it was time for him to go home she always wanted to take him in the car. He would have none of that! He wanted to go by himself!
    I lost count of the times G-Ma would walk to the edge of the road and watch untill he turned into the lane and out of sight.

Yesterday we worked on Josh's Lark. It had been at the shop in town about 15 miles away, but we got it drivable enough to bring it home. Josh is 12 years old but has been driving farm trucks around here since he was about 7, but always under close supervision. We stopped here when we came from town. After awhile Josh says "I think I'm gonna take my car and go home." G-Ma says "By Yourself?" Josh:"Yeah, I think I can make it from here."
    Josh walked out and fired up his old Studebaker, G-Ma walked out and watched untill he turned down lane and out of sight. G-Ma said"The babies Just grow up too fast!"

That little incident took me back about 10 years when the oldest grandson,Matthew was 12. On a Sunday afternoon I had gone to the shop and Miss Edie had rode with me. We stopped and picked up Matthew. I had to make a trip to the stone quarry early the next morning so I was going to do a pre trip inspection on the truck. I told Matthew"Go get the 2 ton and bring it around to the front of the shop." Matthew was gone in a flash and G-Ma asked "Can he do that?" I said "If he can't, you had better get out of the way because here he comes!" The big 2 ton GMC flat bed came crawling out of the back and rolled perfectly to a stop in front of the big doors as scrawny little 12 year old Matthew jumped out of the cab. G-ma says "Well, I reckon he can!"

The 6 grand kids range in age from 22 to 8, but to G-Ma they are still her babies. To me,they are just neat little people to play with. NT
    Last edited by rockinhawk; 08-26-2012, 04:03 PM.
    Neil Thornton

I know what you mean....
    I had supper with Matthew last week.
    We chatted about times past.... (like....10 years ago)..
    He's a man now, but I still remember the lil' kid part...
    Josh is only 12!!??
    Oh my.... I am getting old(er)...
    Jeff
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Mr. T, you've had a life that some of us could only wish for!!!
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I share your thoughts, Neil. I have seven grandchildren. Just before I walked in and got on the forum (about fifteen minutes ago), one of my sons left our house and my grandson T.O. wanted to ride in the back of the pickup. His "Ninny" (my wife) was having a fit. He only lives about 300 yds. from us, and his sister was riding back there with him. Course Papa was blamed for the "little heatherns" actions. Ever happen to you?

Comment

Now I'm all teary-eyed, dang it. I'm glad you get to enjoy your weekends at the shop with a "neat" kid. I'm sure they recognize what a "neat" papa they have. They better.

Comment

OVERPROTECTIVE GRANDMA...THAT'S WHAT THEY'R FOR!...Like that little balance wheel you see in the works of all good clock works...always dependably busy...back 'n forth...with precision...perfect timing...no matter how tight you wind us men up...it's the "wimmin" that keeps things running smooth.

Especially the Grandma's...tested and proved by motherhood.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

sigpic
              Dave Lester

Comment

During my tour at Naval Station Mayport, Florida-
                there is one thing I learned...

The Thorntons have got 'it' figured out.

I've never felt as welcome with a new group of folks as I did down there.
                Neil and 'Edie' have done good, as have their offspring.

I miss y'all~ and the lessons you teach everyday- honest!!!
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                  That little girl could be Sabrina, Ashton or Haleigh!
                  Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                    During my tour at Naval Station Mayport, Florida-
                    there is one thing I learned...

The Thorntons have got 'it' figured out.

I've never felt as welcome with a new group of folks as I did down there.
                    Neil and 'Edie' have done good, as have their offspring.

I miss y'all~ and the lessons you teach everyday- honest!!!
                    Dave became known as South Georgia's favorite Sailor. Still miss you being here Dave.
                    Neil Thornton

Comment

Working...
                    X