Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is correct? '60 W4 interior ( pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is correct? '60 W4 interior ( pics)

While cleaning up for a show last Saturday to benefit a local fire company (below) I noticed something that never really hit me before. What is correct for what goes under the window cranks on my car.

The car in question is a 1960 W6. It was built in September of 1959 and shipped to La Grange, Texas. According to the original window price list, it had what was called the (80) Accessory Regal Trim kit for DeLuxe vehicles for an added cost of $35. Guess that might mean they threw in the extra arm rest, sun visor, chrome around windshield and back glass, but not sure what else that might include.

On these models, did Studebaker put ANY plastic escutcheon under any of the handles on the Deluxe models, even with the (80) kit? A friend gave me two extra rear doors for a regal car that was parted out. Both the door pull and window crank have the plastic escutcheon under them - my Lark is kind of different.

The front doors have the escutcheon under the window crank:

Rear doors there is nothing between the door panel and the window crank:

While the car is a 52K mile car - it is not as it left the dealership in late 1959. The second owner (who found the car in 1983 with 32K) added chrome headlight rings, radio, chrome grill surround, exterior mirrors, hood ornament, etc - so he might have added those just to dress things up.

Those with a sharp eye will notice the factory over-spray on the B-pillar - oops...

Anyone out there with another original interior '60 W4? What do you have?

Thanks ahead.
    Last edited by 62champ; 08-23-2012, 03:19 AM.

not quite the same, but unaltered since new. 60 F4, plastic escutcheons under front window winder and door handle, and under the rear window winders. Also had the (80) trim upgrade with the window trim, second sunvisor, and passenger armrest.
    Maybe that door panel was off sometime in the past 50 years, and the escutcheons got lost?
    sigpic
    JohnP, driving & reviving
    60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Those plastic escutcheons sometimes break in half and fall out. My 64 hardtop keeps doing that in the back.

Comment

Back to the top for the evening crowd...

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
          Those plastic escutcheons sometimes break in half and fall out. My 64 hardtop keeps doing that in the back.
          I have to agree with John that these things get brittle over time with the change of hot and cold weather not helping. I also believe they have broke and fallen out or removed.
          Tom
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
            Are you putting the little nylon washer between the metal handle and the escutcheons? Without it I bet the stress from wrenching on the handle is causing them to break - and their age...

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
              Are you putting the little nylon washer between the metal handle and the escutcheons? Without it I bet the stress from wrenching on the handle is causing them to break - and their age...
              I'll have to see, thanks! I have a small box with some of them in it.
              Does any body know Stude Int reproduce them or are they stll N.O.S.?
              Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 08-21-2012, 05:29 AM.

Comment

There are two different sizes. The door crank off the '60 Lark door I am tearing down has a small size that sits just inside the base of the escutcheon.

I think there was also a larger size as well that came all the way out to the edge of the handle housing.

SI has kits where they include everything - or at least that is what is on the website.

Comment

Checked late last night about my suspicion about the larger nylon washers - Under the rear window and door handle there is a large washer that comes right up to the edge of the chrome.

Makes since they would need something between the handle and the door panel to keep the door panel from getting torn up by the handles moving.

No one else has an original W4 to confirm what is under the front door handles?

Comment

Come on - I know my '60 W4 is not the only Lark out there with the original door panels and hardware - or is it??

Anyone have any factory photos of the interior that has the doors showing?

Comment

Working...
                    X