1st year Avanti 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st year Avanti 2

What was the first year that the Avanti 2 was built?
    Were any Avanti 2 built with Studebaker technology?
    What was the 1st year that the Avanti 2 was built on the chevy platform

It has been said there were 5 or 6 Avanti II's built in 65. I dont know if they were registered as 65's or 66's.

All Avanti II's (at least the early ones) used "Studebaker Technology". The main difference was the engine & eliminating the "rake"

Cant say for certain the first year the Monte Carlo chassis was used.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

The 1987 and 1988 Avanti II's used the Monte Carlo frame . There were 346 cars
      built over those two model years .

The Avanti II's from 1966 through to at least 1983 were Studebaker based in that
      they were all built on the 1964 Daytona Convertible frame . So the only major
      differences were the GM engines and transmissions . The only other 'major' changes
      would be the use of specified 'aftermarket' wheels such as the 'Magnum 500's' which
      were popular as well as the insert 'filler' panel addition in the front guard wheel lips .
      The pronounced 'rake' of the original Avanti body was eliminated due to the new engine
      and tranny combo , thus requiring the filler panel to be inserted .

Production of 1965 Avanti's was 56 . Production of 1966 Avanti's was 60 . For 1967 there
      were only 41 but the next year they hit 100 out the door .

CRUISER

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Comment

Although you didn't ask, it's probably worth noting that the "Studebaker authenticity" was lost gradually over a period of many years. In addition to the changes noted by Cruiser, federal rules regarding such things as collapsible steering columns and side running lights required continual modifications to the Avanti II over the years. Avanti Motors also had to find new suppliers for a variety of small items, like switches, as the original supplies dried up. Figuring out who manufactured components like steering columns can be challenging for Avanti II owners.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

The Studebaker frame was used thru the 1985 model year, though with a modified X member when catalytic converters were required.
            JS
            I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

I recall hearing that mid 70's Avanti II's came out the factory doors with 'pre-rusted' frames, as the last of the Studebaker-built frames were being used up......and these original frames had been in outside storage several years.

Comment

I believe the "rake" was eliminated because Altman disliked the look. A stock Chevy engine will fit using the Studebaker/ Avanti motor mounts. With a stock quadrajet intake you can even use a original R1 air cleaner. It will clear the hood. I have a 64 that was converted in 1967 to a Chevy engine using factory parts.

The first Avanti II that I saw in a showroom was in the fall of 1966 at Checker Motors in Alhambra, Cal

Bob Caser
                mrbobinc

Comment

I wonder if the first Avanti II (RQA0001) was ever rebuilt?.....last I heard Blake had the car at the factory and the nose was torn off it. (severe wreck)

Comment

I was under the impression that RQA001 had been fire damaged and was in the possession of Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motors. True or not...no idea. I read it on the internet so it must be true!
                    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiser View Post
                      The 1987 and 1988 Avanti II's used the Monte Carlo frame . There were 346 cars
                      built over those two model years .

The Avanti II's from 1966 through to at least 1983 were Studebaker based in that
                      they were all built on the 1964 Daytona Convertible frame . So the only major
                      differences were the GM engines and transmissions . The only other 'major' changes
                      would be the use of specified 'aftermarket' wheels such as the 'Magnum 500's' which
                      were popular as well as the insert 'filler' panel addition in the front guard wheel lips .
                      The pronounced 'rake' of the original Avanti body was eliminated due to the new engine
                      and tranny combo , thus requiring the filler panel to be inserted .

Production of 1965 Avanti's was 56 . Production of 1966 Avanti's was 60 . For 1967 there
                      were only 41 but the next year they hit 100 out the door .

CRUISER
                      Cruiser, where did you get your production info? I have a 67 and have heard that first there was 49 build then later I heard there was 150 built, good info to know.
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

About 65 Avanti IIs....the AOAI roster only lists 1 or 2.
                        So either they had a very bad survival record or most were registered as 66s.
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Caser View Post
                          I believe the "rake" was eliminated because Altman disliked the look. A stock Chevy engine will fit using the Studebaker/ Avanti motor mounts. With a stock quadrajet intake you can even use a original R1 air cleaner. It will clear the hood. I have a 64 that was converted in 1967 to a Chevy engine using factory parts.

The first Avanti II that I saw in a showroom was in the fall of 1966 at Checker Motors in Alhambra, Cal

Bob Caser
                          The "rake" was eliminated because the York a/c compressor sat too high on the Chevy engine. Had they used the long skinny GM Frigidaire compressor that mounted to the side of the eng. they could have kept the "rake".
                          JS
                          I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                            Cruiser, where did you get your production info? I have a 67 and have heard that first there was 49 build then later I heard there was 150 built, good info to know.
                            56 is the number used by John Hull in his book. There could be a difference between cars actually produced vs. cars actually sold, but his stats say production, so I take that as cars actually produced, whether they were sold and titled or not.
                            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
                              The "rake" was eliminated because the York a/c compressor sat too high on the Chevy engine. Had they used the long skinny GM Frigidaire compressor that mounted to the side of the eng. they could have kept the "rake".
                              JS
                              Just a guess on my part, but I would think when Newman-Altman purchased all the parts from Studebaker, it must have included a lot of York compressors. It would make sense to use them for Avanti II's with the use of a different mounting bracket until the supply ran out. My '70 originally had a York compressor so their supply must have lasted at least that long before transitioning to the GM A-6 compressor.

Comment

Working...
                              X