Bending brake lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Bending brake lines

Plan to go to Harbor Freight to buy a pair of bending pliers. Or should I? Any advice or tool suggestions. Getting ready to put new lines on the 40 as the wheel cylinders are about ready to install.
    sigpic

I always do them by hand...

Comment

When are you coming over? <G> We are not that experienced. So any suggestions for us?
      sigpic

Comment

They do make more professional, kink-free bends, especially for tight curves. Their only problem is that making a sharp curve right next to the nut is sometimes difficult.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

bending pliers

I have used and own about 4 different bending tools including the new pliers type. Over the 50 plus years as a mechanic I too have bent a lot of lines by hand and or used the various tools but when it comes to bending those tight turns close to a cylinder I do love that new pliers type. Wish they had those 50 years ago. Just makes a so much nicer job of it on those tight places.
          Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
            They do make more professional, kink-free bends, especially for tight curves. Their only problem is that making a sharp curve right next to the nut is sometimes difficult.
            For about $26 you can get this bender at most FLAPS that will do that. Here's the youtube video of it in action.

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/uncle-grub This is our new brake line bending pliers. You can bend and form brake lines without kinking them. Use them on cars,...

Just watch out for the picture of my in-laws at the start.

Bob

Comment

Is there a particular model or feature to look for? Will this one from Harbor Freight do the job OK?

Amazing deals on this Brake Line Forming Tool at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaBear View Post
                Is there a particular model or feature to look for? Will this one from Harbor Freight do the job OK?

http://www.harborfreight.com/tube-be...ers-95782.html
                Didn't know they had them. Yup!! no reason not to try 'em. I'll pick up a set the next time there to finish the Avanti. Just need to remember my 20% off coupon and free LED lite coupon.

Thanks for the post.

Bob

Comment

I just learned they are opening a new Harbor Freight real close to home. In fact I pass by it at least twice a day. I'm going to like the convenience.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaBear View Post
                    I just learned they are opening a new Harbor Freight real close to home. In fact I pass by it at least twice a day. I'm going to like the convenience.
                    You may start by thinking it's a convenience but you'll soon find it is an addiction. Practice with me now "Hi, My name is -------- and I go to Harbor Freight and I have a problem."

Bob

Comment

I have several bending tools. Some of the best are very old "Rigid" brand made for specific tubing sizes. Those are capable of some of the most accurate precision bends, with perfect radius curves. However, in certain situations already mentioned, they have limited abilities when the bend has to be next to the fitting.

Like any skill, there is always the factor of knowing which tool to use, and understanding that the "artistry" of the task always gets better with experience and practice.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                        You may start by thinking it's a convenience but you'll soon find it is an addiction. Practice with me now "Hi, My name is -------- and I go to Harbor Freight and I have a problem."

Bob
                        B B B B B.....But I still have a credit card that isn't at its limit yet!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                          For about $26 you can get this bender at most FLAPS that will do that. Here's the youtube video of it in action.

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/uncle-grub This is our new brake line bending pliers. You can bend and form brake lines without kinking them. Use them on cars,...

Just watch out for the picture of my in-laws at the start.

Bob
                          Thanks. I think we all have in laws like that.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

Get the new lifetime brake line. No rust through, easy bending by hand and can be double flared nicely.

Comment

That's the Cunifer line: http://www.fedhillusa.com/
                              1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
                              See rescue progress here on this blog:
                              http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X