Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another nice old service truck

studebaker tow truck by newarkbob, on Flickr

Shooter says this was at the Strasburg railroad museum. '34?

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

That was there during the Lancaster IM....I'm sure.
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I believe that to be the '35 Studebaker truck owned by Chester Bradfield. Back in 06 I went to South Dakota and picked it up for him and trailered it to Omaha where Chester showed it at the SDC concourse. After that it was transported to Virginia as far as I know. Heaviest thing I ever hauled. Sure looks like it has had some extensive resto work done since then. Ken Voigt, owner of Dakota Studebaker, used to have it sitting out in front of his place to advertise his business.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Nice truck!
        I was trying to find a picture of the blue tanker Studebaker behind it in his sets. Maybe it's an R-series.
        Here's another one from the museum....

railroad studebaker by newarkbob, on Flickr

Comment

Love the pics. They both have little towels to soak up the love spots left behind
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

My Uncle always enjoyed telling the story of a small local Studebaker dealership that had one of the best wreckers in the area.

One day a large semi slowed down and moved off the side of the highway, unaware of how soft the ground was. Not only did he get the tractor stuck, but the load was in danger of falling on its side. Ford dealership and Chevy dealership wreckers raced out to "save the day" but neither could pull the guy back on the road. Studebaker (might have been a 1.5 ton M or R series) made it to the site just as the last attempt was made. They had one of the other wreckers cabled to the top of the trailer to keep it from turning over and then the Studebaker backed up to the front of the tractor, chained it up, put it in compound low. My Uncle said the tires of the Studebaker came about a foot off the ground, the back tires squatted down, and he walked the whole load back on the road. My Uncle said even the semi-truck driver could not believe that "little" Studebaker had done it. The Studebaker wrecker driver refused payment and my Uncle said he had a pretty good smile on his face when he pulled back on the highway to head back into town...

Comment

The Penna RR M-series truck also belongs to Chester Bradfield. They were both displayed at the RR Museum of Penna, in Strasburg, during the Gettysburg meet. Very nice museum and worth a visit, even without the Stude trucks.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Chester is a nice guy and puts on a nice meet at his home in October. He displays several of his Studebakers along with the dozens that travel to the meet. I have gone a few times, even though it is 400 miles one way for me.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes, both of the trucks shown belong to Chester Bradfield, a member of our Greater Virginia Chapter, SDC. The wrecker (Service Truck) is a 1935, model T-2 1 1/2 ton truck. Chester purchased the truck from Ken Voigt and did some freshening of the truck before it was shown at the Lancaster IM. The Pennsylvania Railroad truck is a 1942 M-15 one-ton truck. The truck has been restored as used by PRR. The front bumper was a PRR creation.

I have not had any luck posting photos to the Forum. I have a number of photos of these two trucks, the tanker (seen in the background in photo #1) as well as Chester's K10 grain truck, his K15 flat bed, his three (3) coupe-express trucks (a 1937,1938 and 1939) and his 4E7D (4X4) utility truck. I will be glad to email these photos to anyone who would take on the job of posting the photos for everyone's enjoyment. He has an excellent Studebaker truck collection. Real truck candy!!!

Frank Drumheller
                  Locust Grove, VA

M16-52@hotmail.com
                  Last edited by studelark; 08-15-2012, 05:32 PM. Reason: Added email address

Comment

Frank, Email sent.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks to Frank for stepping in to verify the trucks belong to Chester. Below is a link to a bunch of photos I took at the 2007, 2008 and 2009 shows at Chester's.

The three Coupe Express trucks:

The '54 fuel truck:

The railroad truck:

The wrecker:

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                        Below is a link to a bunch of photos I took at the 2007, 2008 and 2009 shows at Chester's.
                        Thanks once again for the sweeet photos!!!

I'm startin' to dig those BIG rigs,
                        maybe I oughtta get me one, eh?

oooops, wait a minute...

StudeDave '57
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                        SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC
                        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

As you look at the pictures posted by Gary H., keep in mind that these meets are held on Chester's front lawn.

Trivia quiz - What is the large thing that is incorrect about the 1938 CE?
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            Trivia quiz - What is the large thing that is incorrect about the 1938 CE?
                            Where the 'red ball' on the grille is.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                              Where the 'red ball' on the grille is.

Craig
                              No, bigger than that.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment