Young Folks in the club.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young Folks in the club.

We so often hear that we have become an old folks club, and that SDC will die with us. I see more and more Young people at our meets and becoming in volved with Studebakers and SDC. Every one here knows Chris and Matthew who are our flag bearers amoung the youth, but I recall several stories of youngsters getting involved lately. From getting Drivers License in a Studebaker to Girls drag racing. I would like to get a head count and give the young folks some recognition.
    If you are under 25 and interested in Studebakers or know someone who is, Please sign in and maybe tell us a little about your selves.
    I'll start the ball rolling with my 3 grandsons
    Matthew Burnette, 22, 59 Scotsman
    Zack Baxley,13, 54 coupe
    Joshua Pair,12, 60 Lark HT.
    Neil Thornton

What a great idea!!!!!!
    1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

We used to have program to give special T-shirts to SDC members under 21.
      Bondo Billy used to sell them.
      I know we gave away quite a few at Zone Meets.
      Do we still have that program?
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

We also need to have a junior membership for these young people that will give them access to our older people and their own copy of Turning Wheels as well as a few other perks. Bet it might help. Seen it done before and is very successful.
        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Originally posted by Avantidon View Post
          We also need to have a junior membership for these young people that will give them access to our older people and their own copy of Turning Wheels as well as a few other perks. Bet it might help. Seen it done before and is very successful.
          SDC has this. It is called: Student & Young Adult Membership (to 22 years old).
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
            We used to have program to give special T-shirts to SDC members under 21.
            Bondo Billy used to sell them.
            I know we gave away quite a few at Zone Meets.
            Do we still have that program?
            The 21 and Under Program was something that Bob Shaw, Ed Reynolds and I came up with back a few years ago. We also had great support from Bill Glass who printed the T-shirts. The idea was that folks putting on Studebaker meets where there would be a car show as part of it (Zone Meets, IM's, major meets, etc.) would contact me and we would get 21 and Under shirts to anyone who, naturally, was 21 and Under who brought a Studebaker to that particular meet. The good part of this program was the smiles it put on young people who got the shirts. It was great. The bad thing was the almost total lack of support from the SDC membership. Ed posted informaiton in the President's Column about this. It was explained on this forum and elsewhere, yet very few organizers of Studebaker events chose to contact us for the shirts or the mail in cards for t-shirts for the folks 21 and under who particiapted. When Ed left office there was no support for the SDC leadership to continue the program. i contacted tghe following president and never got a response. Thus another potential way to recognize younger folks in the SDC went down the tubes.
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Well I still consider myself part of the younger crowd but I am 28.
              1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

I agree with and supported all the youth oriented programs. and would like to see more. I enjoy seeing kids participate. that's why I tried hard to keep my grandsons Interested. But then I enjoy having them around. I found out if you give them a car, they will hang out with Grandpa.

But let's get some names on the list! So far we only have my 3. Cul, Maybe I should have set the age at 30? But anyone under 50 is a young person to me.
                Neil Thornton

Comment

My son James has become an official member of the SDC. He said that he wanted his own membership, especially after being a part of the International meet. I'm trying to get him to start posting here. He will be seventeen in a couple of months. That makes four ? so far.
                  Jamie McLeod
                  Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                  1958 Commander "Christine"
                  1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                  1955 Commander Sedan
                  1964 Champ
                  1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by cultural infidel View Post
                    Well I still consider myself part of the younger crowd but I am 28.
                    Yea, you're probably still a little wet behind the ears!!!
                    Jamie McLeod
                    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                    1958 Commander "Christine"
                    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                    1955 Commander Sedan
                    1964 Champ
                    1960 Lark

Comment

When I kick the bucket, my Nephew gets my Avanti. I wonder why he keeps dropping banana peels in front of me?
                      Lou Van Anne
                      62 Champ
                      64 R2 GT Hawk
                      79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                        I'll start the ball rolling with my 3 grandsons
                        Matthew Burnette, 22, 59 Scotsman
                        I've been thinking about getting that Scotsman up to Fayetteville and twisting wrenches again. And buy a welder to fix what I can of the original body. Trying to figure out a way to make it happen, I miss that truck.

I'll add a couple more. Dylan Wills who sometimes posts here is 17 or 18 and lives in WA State. He has a '61 wagon daily driver and a couple others. Raymond Jahnsen from Missouri doesn't post on the forum, but he's 15 or 16 and has a Champ pickup. His dad's a brick mason and a farmer and has a few Stude trucks that he uses on the farm. John McCall's son Mathew, also in Missouri is 19 and is building an R3 powered Lark. But given that the McCalls live and breathe these cars, it's not a surprise. I met Dick Clemen's 16 year old grandson Mikey at South Bend, he and Dick are building a '65 Cruiser for his first car.

There's quite a few young guys out there with Studes.
                        Last edited by mbstude; 08-14-2012, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                          I've been thinking about getting that Scotsman up to Fayetteville and twisting wrenches again. And buy a welder to fix what I can of the original body. Trying to figure out a way to make it happen, I miss that truck.

I'll add a couple more. Dylan Wills who sometimes posts here is 17 or 18 and lives in WA State. He has a '61 wagon daily driver and a couple others. Raymond Jahnsen from Missouri doesn't post on the forum, but he's 15 or 16 and has a Champ pickup. His dad's a brick mason and a farmer and has a few Stude trucks that he uses on the farm. John McCall's son Mathew, also in Missouri is 19 and is building an R3 powered Lark. But given that the McCalls live and breathe these cars, it's not a surprise. I met Dick Clemen's 16 year old grandson Mikey at South Bend, he and Dick are building a '65 Cruiser for his first car.

There's quite a few young guys out there with Studes.
                          That gives us 8 boys? Where are the girls?

I know of a couple more boys, but am waiting for them to post themselves. You don't have to be a member... Just interested.
                          Last edited by rockinhawk; 08-14-2012, 03:11 PM.
                          Neil Thornton

Comment

My son Hunter is 18 and owns a '51 bulletnose four door street rod. He didn't join because we don't have any Studebaker specific functions here, though he joined the local car club. If there was something special for young Stude addicts he might reconsider. I'll ask him.

Comment

me im only twelve and i own a lark(lark nerds LOL).

Comment

Working...
                              X