Antelope Motors, Stude dealer in Lancaster CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antelope Motors, Stude dealer in Lancaster CA

Dick Quinn told me about this short lived dealership. My '63 Lark was shipped there, from SB, so I would like more info and a license plate frame. Thank you! Huck

Gary Hildebrandt
    Gary Hildebrandt

Wow, Lancaster was decidedly unpopulated 44 years ago, that had to have been a service station based "dealership". The good news is that they probably had way more license frames then they ever had cars to sell - the bad news is that it would still be quite an event to find that needle in the haystack.

Thomas

First year Stude guy! Long time hot rodder
    '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

Wow, Lancaster was decidedly unpopulated 44 years ago, that had to have been a service station based "dealership". The good news is that they probably had way more license frames then they ever had cars to sell - the bad news is that it would still be quite an event to find that needle in the haystack.

Thomas

First year Stude guy! Long time hot rodder
      '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

It was a full-on Dealership, showroom and all! I was there in '63. I went there to check out a Blue Mist Lark Custom 2dr. that had belonged to the owner's son before he got his Avanti! My Dad and I drove his '56 Power Hawk 100 miles to see and drive that car! [^]

It was for sale used, there was an ad in the L.A. Times. Very nice equipped car with 4 speed, 289, AFB 4 Brl.,engine dress-up kit, (I think A/C), H.D. Cooling package (surprise in High desert?) 3 row rad. & viscous fan, Twin Traction, Radio and Heater.

Lancaster was a bedroom community in those days, small but with good strong (with money) customer base, from Palmdale where all the Lockheed and Northrop Aircraft employees worked. Also nearby Edwards AF Base! [^]

Later in 1990's I lived in Lancaster, out West off of Ave "L".

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It was a full-on Dealership, showroom and all! I was there in '63. I went there to check out a Blue Mist Lark Custom 2dr. that had belonged to the owner's son before he got his Avanti! My Dad and I drove his '56 Power Hawk 100 miles to see and drive that car! [^]

It was for sale used, there was an ad in the L.A. Times. Very nice equipped car with 4 speed, 289, AFB 4 Brl.,engine dress-up kit, (I think A/C), H.D. Cooling package (surprise in High desert?) 3 row rad. & viscous fan, Twin Traction, Radio and Heater.

Lancaster was a bedroom community in those days, small but with good strong (with money) customer base, from Palmdale where all the Lockheed and Northrop Aircraft employees worked. Also nearby Edwards AF Base! [^]

Later in 1990's I lived in Lancaster, out West off of Ave "L".

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thank you guys! So 'Rich were you the guy I met in South Bend in 2002 that told me he test drove my Blue Mist Lark, at the dealership? This all too cool. Huck in Dearborn, MI

Gary Hildebrandt
            Gary Hildebrandt

Comment

Thank you guys! So 'Rich were you the guy I met in South Bend in 2002 that told me he test drove my Blue Mist Lark, at the dealership? This all too cool. Huck in Dearborn, MI

Gary Hildebrandt
              Gary Hildebrandt

Comment

When I found the car it was pretty much intact--solid--easily the most rust free Studebaker I have ever seen- and needing just about everything. I had a '63 JT engine on hand and went ahead and built the car as if it has been ordered with the JT option. I really loved the car and to this day which I had kept it. Oh well . . . .

Comment

When I found the car it was pretty much intact--solid--easily the most rust free Studebaker I have ever seen- and needing just about everything. I had a '63 JT engine on hand and went ahead and built the car as if it has been ordered with the JT option. I really loved the car and to this day which I had kept it. Oh well . . . .

Comment

Yes, guilty! I believe one of the Los Angeles or Orange Empire Chapter members found it abandoned in the high desert and fixed it up and then Bill Oliver at Studebaker Parts and service in Long Beach bought it and later sold it to "someone back east". That was the last I heard of it, until I met you in South Bend 2002 and saw the car again, I still love it! [^] You know what they say about first loves, they are forever! [:I]

quote:Originally posted by Huck

Gary Hildebrandt
                    StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes, guilty! I believe one of the Los Angeles or Orange Empire Chapter members found it abandoned in the high desert and fixed it up and then Bill Oliver at Studebaker Parts and service in Long Beach bought it and later sold it to "someone back east". That was the last I heard of it, until I met you in South Bend 2002 and saw the car again, I still love it! [^] You know what they say about first loves, they are forever! [:I]

quote:Originally posted by Huck

Gary Hildebrandt
                      StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Help in finding a stude dealer in Tracy California Nov. 1962.name location. thanks gord.

gh

Comment

Help in finding a stude dealer in Tracy California Nov. 1962.name location. thanks gord.

gh

Comment

According to the dealer list on Automotive History Online there was a dealer in Tracy named Manuel Rico listed as a Packard dealer, obviously Studebaker after Packard production ceased.

John Clements
                            Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                            Lockleys South Australia
                            John Clements
                            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

According to the dealer list on Automotive History Online there was a dealer in Tracy named Manuel Rico listed as a Packard dealer, obviously Studebaker after Packard production ceased.

John Clements
                              Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                              Lockleys South Australia
                              John Clements
                              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Working...
                              X