Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker parts suppliers, is it me?

Hello, Just wanted to know, is it me?
    I was a former Studebaker Packard owner involved with these wonderful cars in the 1970's. Then came marriage, kids, college. Kids grown house quiet again, bought a 57 Packardbaker wagon from salvage yard to get back in the hobby.
    I delt with Newman & Altman and they were very attentive and answered all inquiries fast and courtously, shipped great.
    Now I email, snail mail, phone different Studebaker suppliers out there now ( I won't mention their names) and they never reply! It must be me.
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

I'd say - if you did so quite recently, maybe it's that they've been consumed by packing up, going to and coming back from the International meet which ended a week ago. Most of these venders are one or two-person operations. Even the bigger ones get taxed a bit during meet time. I've NEVER had one not call back if they said they would.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Dear Roscomacaw, I started my part searching in May of this year, maybe the beginning of the car season? Could that be it? I hope you are correct, was hoping to get some parts rounded up before it turns cold again. I hope they get in touch soon. Thank you

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

Back in the 80s and 90s there were a greater number of vendors that you could deal with.With the passage of time, they have folded up and/or have been taken over by a larger concern.I personally liked having the luxury of dealing with multiple vendors, even if their pricing was identical.That being said,I am glad that we have the parts network that we have.The staff over at "Number One" has always been more than helpful to me.
        @57pack,just continue to e-mail or phone these folks. It's NOT you.We need the parts- they need the business.

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
          Dear Roscomacaw, I started my part searching in May of this year, maybe the beginning of the car season? Could that be it? I hope you are correct, was hoping to get some parts rounded up before it turns cold again. I hope they get in touch soon. Thank you
          I guess I'm not sure of the problem. I call SI, Nostalgic Motors and a couple of other suppliers on a regular basis. I don't use email because I usually have a question or two to ask prior to ordering. If the line is busy, unusual, I'll just call back, get my info, order parts and go on about my business. Parts usually arrive in one to four days and I install them.

If you are using email, why not call and be sure you have contact.

Bob

Comment

out of curiosity, what sorta parts are you looking for???
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The biggest impediment is Lack of Part Numbers.

For faster service, buy a reproduced Parts Book for your car and look up the numbers for each item you need. That saves the vendor a lot of time and puts the onus on you to be sure you've got it right!

If a vendor looks up the number based on your decription and it is wrong, there can be a dispute. OTOH, if you look up the number and he sends you that number, you're responsible.

'Better that way because you are closer to the subject item. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hello, Just wanted to know, is it me?....
                Hmmn...let's see...a Packardbaker...Jersey...Yeah, it's you!

On the other hand...you're from New Jersey, don't take crap off anybody! Welcome to the forum and back to the SDC! Just keep calling and pestering until they respond, if for nothing else, to get you off their back. Also, if you go to the SDC home page, I think there is a link to the Studebaker vendors and even a swap page. Hopefully, someone here will post a link to the swap page. Just to broaden your chances of getting what you need, don't hesitate to post it here. You never know what some of us have squirreled away in the attic. Good luck with your project. Keep us informed of your progress and post some pictures. we love pictures.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Now I email, snail mail, phone different Studebaker suppliers out there now ( I won't mention their names) and they never reply! It must be me.
                  I usually phone and Studebaker International is the company I have done business with most of the time. They have NEVER ONCE failed to call me back in trying to assist me in finding parts. I do however have a parts book and their catalogue both of which are very useful. Even other vendors will use the catalogue from SI. I have yet to meet a vendor of Studebaker parts who has not been polite and respectful.
                  sigpic
                  55 President Deluxe
                  64 Commander
                  66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Sent you a PM

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      The biggest impediment is Lack of Part Numbers.

For faster service, buy a reproduced Parts Book for your car and look up the numbers for each item you need. That saves the vendor a lot of time and puts the onus on you to be sure you've got it right!

If a vendor looks up the number based on your decription and it is wrong, there can be a dispute. OTOH, if you look up the number and he sends you that number, you're responsible.

'Better that way because you are closer to the subject item. BP
                      I have been beating that same drum for years. Thank you for saying it also.

It seems like some folks apparently do not like to read, or to figure out things for them selves.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Sometimes when this happens, it can be at your end. Is your firewall or spam filter set too high?

Comment

To: 57 pack,---------'57 Packard Clipper Country Station Wagon.............What a worthwhile model to try and bring back! Good luck with it!!

Comment

My emails to SI are short and sweet.
                            I need this many of this part number.
                            Next morning, the parts are shipped.
                            Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Part numbers needed

Hello again, thanks for all of your help, here's some of the parts with numbers of what I'm searching for
                              1323238w right rear lower moulding
                              1323239w left rear lower moulding
                              AC2862 rear view mirror
                              305932w handle, spare tire lift
                              1320850 right rear door moulding
                              1320851 left rear door moulding
                              1543700 lower air filter bracket
                              1323044 right grille moulding
                              1323045 left grille moulding
                              1320446 right housing moulding
                              1320447 left housing moulding
                              1320453w license lamp housing
                              1320452w bezel license lamp housing
                              1314946,1314947,1327845,1327848, (2) 1314899w, and (2) 1314898 Luggage rack parts, all of the hard to find goodies missing from my junk yard special, thank you

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

Working...
                              X