Stuck window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Stuck window

Drivers window on my '62 GT wouldn't roll down. A hefty push got it to the point where the gears would engage and it would roll. Plate #93 in the CD edition of the Shop Manual wasn't much help. The tiny numbers in the circles don't show up. Anyway, one afternoon later, I have the window, the regulator and the vent frame out. (the manual ought to say something like: "Yank that vent frame like there's no tomorrow, or it won't come out. Don't worry about breaking it!") Is there a section in the body catalog with a better view?

Question: Should there be nylon rollers on the studs of the regulator? If there should be, and they're missing, would it cause the gears to slip on the regulator? Or does slipping gears mean the pinion gear on the regulator is shot? The teeth on the arch of the regulator look pretty good.

Paul
    I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
    1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Nylon rollers are only used on '63 up Lark types and Avantis - not on Hawks. Sounds to me like you need a replacement regulator. Too late now, but you can readily remove/replace the regulator without removing the window or the vent frame assembly.

Comment

A look at the body parts manual should answer your questions about what goes where and hooks up to what.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
        A look at the body parts manual should answer your questions about what goes where and hooks up to what.
        Thanks. Good to know.

The reason I eventually took the whole door apart was because I couldn't tell from the shop manual where the rear stop bolt was. By process of elimination, when there was only one bolt left inside the door, I finally figured out how the window came out!

Paul
        I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
        1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

Working...
        X