Driving test in a Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving test in a Studebaker

What a great day! I took my grandson for his driving test in my 62 convertibe, 259, 3 speed OD; 50 years old this year. The DMV guy was quite impressed with the car as well as Caleb's skills with the stick shift, manual steering and brakes, especially with the parallel parking. He said he wished more kids would come in as prepared as he. He also said he couldn't remember the last time someone came in for a test with a 3 speed on the tree. It made him feel old! Caleb is the third generation to take their driving test in a Stude. He said this is a day he will remember for the rest of his life. He wants to do a Hawk project car. I love it!
    Fred

That's great!! I did the same thing with my '40.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

I took mine in a 48 Champion convertible. Back in 1965.
      Neil Thornton

Comment

Geez Neil, you must be about a year older than me. I took my test in the signature photo car in 1966. My mother wasn't quite ready for me to drive the '64 Daytona. It is the content of this thread and others that prove to me the continuing life of the SDC.

Comment

Being too young to know any better, before I got involved with Studebakers, and learned I could appreciate the value of a dollar in extraordinary style, I took my test in this.

Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Very cool, Fred. Thanks for the report, and best wishes for Caleb to continue his Studebaker involvement. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Awesome feel-good thread! Can't wait to see pics of Caleb's project!

Michelle
              '60 Lark Hardtop, Red Bluff, CA
              sigpic

Comment

I took my test in one just like this, in 1984.

~Matt Connor
                '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Although my dad had given me a 59 Lark, I had to take my test in a 59 DeSoto 4 door boat because he used the Lark to go back & forth to work cause it used alot less gas. My grandson Tristin is 5 now but I am instilling in him the desires of Studebaker so he can take his driving test in one of his own when the time comes. Good going there Caleb!!
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I passed the test in my '59 Lark. Thanks mom and dad for the driving lessons !!

Comment

53 Buick in 1956
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

Did my driving test 1n 1959 in a Buick like this one, My daddy always liked Buicks.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Took my driving test in 1968 in my Grandma's 1963 Rambler Classic!!!
                          George King
                          Grants Pass, Oregon
                          64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

I took my first driving test in a 62 Hawk with a 3 speed and overdrive. The car was almost new as that was in December of 1962. Bud

Comment

My motorcycle license came before driving a car. Took the test with a borrowed Honda 150 from a small town dealer. Had been driving crawlers (Case 310) in the pit since I was 8. First legal 4 wheeled vehicle was a Dept of Lands and Forests Fargo 1/2 ton. Bought it for $25 put in a $50 slant six and drove it to death. A guy dented my fender in a parking lot and paid me $200 for the dent! Kids today don't have that kind of freedom. Giving them your Stude for the test is gracious and I hope leads to a love affair down the road. Cheers.
                              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
                              X