Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1958 Studebaker sedans are due an apology...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1958 Studebaker sedans are due an apology...

...if this is what passes for good design 54 years later:

For the time being, I suppose the Acura is the only one that qualifies for butt-ugly, since it's the only one of which whose posterior is shown.

Late designer Duncan McRae, credited with having freshened the 1957 Studebaker sedans for the 1958 market, has now been exonerated at least four times over...and I'm betting he spent a whole lot less money on the entire line than any one of the above eye-searing catastrophes....adjusted for inflation, of course.

Now we know why so many good automobile designers of the 30s through 60s have passed on. They've been spared the pain of seeing what their contemporaries do when aerodynamic necessities confront the demand to do something, anything, to give "our" product distinction when compared with every other bar of soap that's been subjected to a gentle, lengthy water spray in a wind tunnel.

Your opinion may vary. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

AGREED!
    Tom
    sigpic

Comment

Bob, years back I could tell you what make of car was driving next to me, not anymore, they all look the same. I wonder how much longer it will be before we see the return of fins?

Comment

The way some of these designs are evolving you may be able to tell the cars apart, but you won't want to look. I wonder what the young folks think of these cars?
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

I think Lexus is being influenced by the '61 Plymouth! Although I think the Plymouth design does have some redeeming qualities overall. Quentin

Comment

Seems that "Group Think" has always been part of vehicle design back to the chariot and buggy days. In modern time, certain Audi's, Chrysler 300's, and a few others look like those huge Baleen whales, with huge gaping mouths, plying the ocean scooping up plankton as they go.

If someone could develop an engine that instantly converts insects to fuel...these cars would have a "leg-up" on the process!
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The Bentley is really not that offensive, but it sure does look like it ought to be a taxicab...

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

The first series Acura NSX is a classic. Pictures of it and Studies provided my encouragement in law school.
                Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                  If someone could develop an engine that instantly converts insects to fuel...these cars would have a "leg-up" on the process!
                  Now that's funny, John. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The new styling theme of Lexus looks like a rip-off of Darth Vader! This style is so bad it gives ugly a bad name.

I couldnt have said it better Clark, that Bentley looks like it should have been in the circular file when it was drawn.

The Avalon looks like it used leftover Mazda & Hyundai parts that were discarded. Dumpster diving at the styling studio?

The Acura NSX may work. I'd have to see it in person to judge it fairly.
                    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                    64 Zip Van
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                      The way some of these designs are evolving you may be able to tell the cars apart, but you won't want to look. I wonder what the young folks think of these cars?
                      It's no wonder the young generation arn't interested in cars, look what they get to choose from. Sadly they are more interested in Apple's latest invention rather than the big three's.
                      sigpic

Packardbakerly,
                      J.D.

Comment

to me the worse part is destroying the design for better airflow. Like it makes any difference at 55 mph. And after all the fuel injection and other additions, a 1964 falcon 6 cylinder still got better milage than todays rides. It has to improve,can't get much worse.
                        Randy Wilkin
                        1946 M5 Streetrod
                        Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                          The Bentley is really not that offensive, but it sure does look like it ought to be a taxicab...
                          Lol, it looks like an Austin 7.
                          Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
                          Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
                          Lizella, GA

Comment

I really HATE to have to say that the Hyundai mid-size and larger cars and the Nisson Altima are some of the best looking Cars out there!

All of the Toyotas are some of the uglyest.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                              I really HATE to have to say that the Hyundai mid-size and larger cars and the Nisson Altima are some of the best looking Cars out there!
                              There's a big reason for that, Rich! Their design studios are in CALIFORNIA!!

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X