Body Tag Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Tag Question

Clem is a Hamilton built second series 64 Cruiser. I thought I would ask on the forum if anyone knows what the small tag on the right of the photo that reads: "EXT TM" means?
    Thanks, Dean

Dean Croft
    Roseburg,OR

CLEM
    Dean

CLEM

I would say Exterior Trim, but that doesn't make sense, as all '64 Cruisers had that.

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track

Comment

I would say Exterior Trim, but that doesn't make sense, as all '64 Cruisers had that.

Matthew Burnette
      '59 Scotsman
      '63 Daytona
      Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Clem64

Clem is a Hamilton built second series 64 Cruiser. I thought I would ask on the forum if anyone knows what the small tag on the right of the photo that reads: "EXT TM" means?
        Thanks, Dean

Dean Croft
        Roseburg,OR

CLEM
        It means 'Extra Trim'. The only item that it may have 'extra' would be a stainless drip rail moulding, since Cruisers had stainless around the door frames and center pillar only, but that is just a guess.

But that doesn't mean something(s) on the interior is 'extra' as well. I would suggest posting some pictures of your car so that we may try and find what is different from 'regular' Cruisers.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Clem64

Thanks, Dean

Dean Croft
          Roseburg,OR

CLEM
          It means 'Extra Trim'. The only item that it may have 'extra' would be a stainless drip rail moulding, since Cruisers had stainless around the door frames and center pillar only, but that is just a guess.

But that doesn't mean something(s) on the interior is 'extra' as well. I would suggest posting some pictures of your car so that we may try and find what is different from 'regular' Cruisers.

Craig

Comment

Yet another of those cryptic addendum tags. Like the one I have that says SPEC QTR. We can SPECulate about what some of these mean, but in the case of the SPEC QTR example, even the build sheet revealed nothing "special" about it.
            EXT TM - easy to surmize that it does mean Extra trim, but what trim - where? Better yet - why? Is it calling for some optional trim item or is it a variance from the front office?

Just one more example of the vagaries of the '64 line![B)]

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yet another of those cryptic addendum tags. Like the one I have that says SPEC QTR. We can SPECulate about what some of these mean, but in the case of the SPEC QTR example, even the build sheet revealed nothing "special" about it.
              EXT TM - easy to surmize that it does mean Extra trim, but what trim - where? Better yet - why? Is it calling for some optional trim item or is it a variance from the front office?

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I have seen at least two 1965 Commanders with that EXT TRM tag, and sure enough, they both had the stainless rocker panel mouldings as found on a Cruiser. Since a Cruiser had almost all that was available trimwise, it is somewhat of a mystery of what more one could add to it. The only item I can think of is the stainless drip rail moulding, which Cruisers and Daytonas did not have.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I have seen at least two 1965 Commanders with that EXT TRM tag, and sure enough, they both had the stainless rocker panel mouldings as found on a Cruiser. Since a Cruiser had almost all that was available trimwise, it is somewhat of a mystery of what more one could add to it. The only item I can think of is the stainless drip rail moulding, which Cruisers and Daytonas did not have.

Craig

Comment

Does it maybe have a U.S. (early '64 type rear decklid trim panel, the full aluminum type? The only other thing I was thinking is that since it has just about all the best trim, maybe it's a delete? Although I would think it would say "Delete" if that were the case, who knows?

StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Does it maybe have a U.S. (early '64 type rear decklid trim panel, the full aluminum type? The only other thing I was thinking is that since it has just about all the best trim, maybe it's a delete? Although I would think it would say "Delete" if that were the case, who knows?

StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Does the build sheet give any clue to a variance? You can read the streamer tag better than I can on my monitor. Are you sure of the "M"?

Bob's/MrBiggs "SPEC QTR" is probably for a special quarter panel or a specially treated quarter panel. Many cars that started with employees had things like this. I believe that Studebaker tried things and tracked them on employees' cars. I have also seen "SPEC SILL" (IIRC) on cars that still had good rocker panels. Many of the Studebakers pulled off the streets of South Bend in the early '70s had extra streamer body tags.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Does the build sheet give any clue to a variance? You can read the streamer tag better than I can on my monitor. Are you sure of the "M"?

Bob's/MrBiggs "SPEC QTR" is probably for a special quarter panel or a specially treated quarter panel. Many cars that started with employees had things like this. I believe that Studebaker tried things and tracked them on employees' cars. I have also seen "SPEC SILL" (IIRC) on cars that still had good rocker panels. Many of the Studebakers pulled off the streets of South Bend in the early '70s had extra streamer body tags.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes, Gary it is clearly an "M" in "EXT TM" on my monitor.

StudeRich
                            Studebakers Northwest
                            Ferndale, WA
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes, Gary it is clearly an "M" in "EXT TM" on my monitor.

StudeRich
                              Studebakers Northwest
                              Ferndale, WA
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X