Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got Rear ended Thursday. Thankful for 3 point belts, wife OK.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got Rear ended Thursday. Thankful for 3 point belts, wife OK.

Thursday wasn't such a good day from one point of view, maybe a good day from another angle. My wife was stopped at a signal, and got rear ended by a h*nda driven by a non attentive, cell phone yacking, self admitted "I shouldnt be driving", and on their way to court "driver". Thank God no one was badly hurt. No skid marks, just slammed into the Stude about 30MPH, and pushed my wife into the PT Cruiser stopped in front of her.
    My wife is sore, and a bit bruised in a distinct shoulder belt pattern. She will be OK, but we are watching as the days go by, and, yes, we notified the insurance company, and they and our doctor have exchanged some official numbers or some such.
    I had hoped to never test the 3 point seat belts I installed a few years back, but now, now I am very glad they are in there. They did their job, stopped her from slamming into the heavy metal steering wheel and dash in front of her.
    Now I must bring the old 64 Dart out of slumber, and prep for daily service once again, however, not before those lap belts go away. I am convinced, please strongly consider installing 3 point belts whenever possible.

Yes, the wagon is messed up, but I have a entire parts car, and insurance, so no worries there. I don't think I will need additional parts, but you never know guys. I will post some progress pictures, not sure right now if its going to a body shop, or I do the work and sub-contract paint and chrome. AAA insurance has been great, they said its up to me, they can "cash me out" or pay the shop. The shop is fast, I am slow, this much I know.
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    Ross.
    Riverside, Ca.
    1957 Provincial X2
    1958 Transtar

Had one of those pesky H*ndas rearend my Hawk last year at about 35mph, ran underneath my rear bumper. Innatentive driver also, she was looking at something else. When she got out of her car she apologized profusely and admitted to not paying attention, was freaked out because it was her father's car/insurance. I felt bad for her, my bumper got tweeked a little, lower valence bent, SI exhaust tips destroyed but hers was totalled. I would have been willing to work with her & her dad since I had access to all the parts needed to repair. I decided to contact my insurance co, just to let them know what happened and they informed me that she was filing a claim against ME for personal injury, claimed I threw my car into reverse when she was stopped behind me! I guess Daddy got tired of insurance rates going up and decided to try and make some easy money! First and last time I decided to be a good guy! Luckily she had insurance, luckily I had a very credible witness who saw the whole thing. She even tried to bribe another witness to support her claim!

Comment

Ross, I'm really sorry about the car, but glad that your wife is OK.

So tell us - how did you accomplish the retrofit? Where did you put the mount for the shoulder belt?

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Wow, so sorry to see this, but pleased to know your wife will be OK. Cars can be fixed. Good for you for making your wagon safer with the three point belt.
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

sorry to hear about this. but "DO NOT" let everyone involved - especially insurance wise, say that your wife is "ok"! it can take several days before there is "nerve root" swelling in the vertebrae. BTDT...

i truly hope that is not the case!
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Sorry to hear this. Glad your wife is OK. That's the most important thing. I know it makes you sick, to see you car (SW) look like this. Good thinking on the 3 point belts.

Comment

The mount would go onto the pillar behind the front door. Either insert a metal plate into the pillar or else drill straight through and insert a "barrel bolt" to attach the belt. That's what a local mob told me here. I imagine Ross did that.
              John Clements
              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Wow, I'm glad your wife got out relatively unharmed, but man, the dmaage to the car breaks my heart. Hope you get her back on the road soon.

Personally, I'd take her (the car) to the body shop. Let them worry about fit and color matching and all those pesky things that could drive you bananas on a Studebaker. If their insurance is covering the tab, you won't pay anything out of pocket. If they were uninsured and your insurance is covering it, no judge in America would side with them if you filed a suit to collect your deductable from their pocket.

One thing I learned a while back though, especially if you do the work yourself, get several estimates. I had a vandal break out all the glass on a pickup I owned once, and my insurance company wanted to just give me about $300 to have it done wherever I wanted, because that's what "their records indicated the repair would cost". I got three quotes from around town, and the lowest was more than three times their quote for all the glass and repair to the body from the damage, and I badgered them until they let me take it to a shop and have the work done.
                '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Ross, I'm sorry for the accident but glad Linda didnt get hurt badly. Being in the business all these years I've heard all kinds of stories from people that try to lie their way out of guilt but forget to see the results of the damage that many times speak for themselves. If you have a parts car, then great, but keep that to yourself. If AAA is going to cover the damage have them look for the parts & price them out. That way if you do fix it yourself you'll get at least a fair value for your own parts. If the other insurance company accepts liability, then you can go through them, if their estimate matches or exceeds the estimate you get from AAA. Going through the other insurance company benifits you also with them being on the hook for a rental car while yours is being repaired, at least most cover up to a month. If you have any other questions or need some help call me. I've got lots of time here!
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Ross, Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad to hear your dear wife is OK. Keep an eye out though, as others have said. Rear ender injuries will sneak up on you.
                    I've had 3 point belts in my Coupe for decades. Never had to use them. I just need to go back to my Camaro seats though. I don't like the imports that are in there now. The Camaro seats are lower.
                    sals54

Comment

WOW, glad to hear your wife is ok! As said before, cars can be fixed.
                      JS
                      I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

As all of you stated.

Side note here: aftermarket 3 point seatbelts are quite inexpensive these days; I bought a pair of them @ about $65 each for my 1962 Lark.
                        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Glad your wife is fine. Doesn't look like the car got hurt to bad should be and easy fix being you have the parts. To bad your so far away or I would tell you to bring it over and I would fix it for you. I retired this last year and now restore cars in my back yard shop. Steve

Comment

Truly a bummer as far as the wagon goes, Ross - but good to hear that the wife's seemingly seriously unhurt. Also a GREAT lesson for the doubters here.
                            When my old Rammer Cross-Country wagon was whacked in the rear (THREE TIMES IN A ROW!), the wagon was at a full stop in each incident - and in two of those incidents, the young female drivers feigned aplogies and contrition only to find out later that the insurance info they gave me was deliberately bogus.
                            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I expected the Stude to look a lot worse based on the description.

Comment

Working...
                              X