In need of some door shims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of some door shims

I recently replaced my door hinges with NOS and now my doors are about 1/8th" to 1/4" (inward) lower than my fender are, and the fenders are adjusted all the way in. So, I am in need of some door shims, about an inch worth would probably do it. I've been told to use washers, but would rather not, unless I have too.

Thanks,

--Scott

Sounds like a lot of shims but, if you don't want to use washers, body shims are a standard item at most parts stores and all body shop supply centers.
    Be certain your doors seal on the weatherstrip and windlace. Moving the doors out is only going to introduce the elements to your interior and create huge drafts. Maybe the fender flange needs adjusted to move the fender closer.
    Last edited by rockne10; 07-29-2012, 05:08 PM.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

HF has a box of various thickness shims for $10.

Comment

The weird thing is, the adjustment was great, until I replaced the hinges with new ones. I think an inch worth of shims (1/4" on both sides, top and bottom) is a bit more than I would need, but I just want to make sure I get enough of them.

The fenders are already adjusted in all the way, both on top and bottom so there is no adjustment left that can be done. unfortunately, the only thing left is to move the door out by using shims. It's almost like the new hinges aren't quite right, but I guess there is only one kind of hinge, so they must be the right ones. BTW, it's a 55 Conestoga.

Would the shims that are available at most parts stores and bodyshops have the holes drilled in the right locations that match the hinge holes?

--Scott

Comment

Auto body shims are usually open-ended and various thicknesses.

Buy them locally or Google them for suppliers such as:
          Count on Imperial Supplies for all your fleet and MRO needs. Log-in or register to view your pricing.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Posted by s2dwagon
            Would the shims that are available at most parts stores and bodyshops have the holes drilled in the right locations that match the hinge holes?
            Probably not, so if you can't find what you need, just go to any TSC or store that sells 1/8" strap or thicker, if needed. Purchase the width you need, cut to length and drill the holes . I built the ones I used in a similar fashion.

Bob
            Last edited by sweetolbob; 07-29-2012, 06:03 PM.

Comment

I don't think that is the shims he needs. He needs the 3 hole shims that go between the hinge and the door.

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
                ... the 3 hole shims that go between the hinge and the door.
                Exactly the ones I am looking for.

Thanks,

Scott

Comment

Assuming we are talking about front doors - you need: 271651 Shim (1/32") or 307255 Shim (1/16") or 288606 Shim (3/32"). Last time I ordered them they were available.

Comment

Working...
                  X