Seperating engine from tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: Seperating engine from tranny

I'm pulling just the (chev 305) out of my Avanti today and notice the toque converter is bolted to the flywheel.
    I'm assuming I remove those bolts before pulling them apart, right? Or des the TC come out with the flywheel?

My first time at seperating an auto tranny from an engine. Thanks!

Yes, unbolt the torque converter. You will have a heck of an oil spill if you don't! Even if you drain the transmission, the torque converter is still full. At least on Studebaker transmissions you can drain the converter.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Unbolt it,push it back into the trans,and pull the engine.[it should go back a half inch or so when it is unbolted]
      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Thanks Bez! Success!

Comment

Yes, 52 Hawk, slid back easy ad no major puddles...except coolant, of course.

Comment

I hope you unbolted the fuel pump. I see it laying there & it appears to be the correct one that has screws holding the halfs together. Almost all the replacement pumps fit poorly & almost contact the frame or have the nipples close to the frame crossmember.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Exactly, Warren! Also the motor mount long bolt wouldn't come out without removing the pump.

I'm also thinking while the engine is out, I may as well replace or have the TH350 rebuilt.

Comment

Working...
              X