PDA

View Full Version : There's a proverb....

JimC
07-28-2012, 02:34 AM
"Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it."

http://youstude.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/luke-and-daddy-at-the-lark-612x1024.jpg
(That's Proverbs 22:6, lest ye wonder where I got that...)

Elsewhere, I posted thoughts on why I thought it was foolish to throw your hands up and assume that since there are fewer and fewer Studebakers every day that we must accept that our club will eventually merge with another or go extinct.

I won't go into as much of a soapbox rant on that topic right now, but I wanted to restate something: As long as we're passing our passion for Studebakers on to the next generation, they'll live on forever. I'm too young to have ever seen a Studebaker less than 14ish years old. I love them because my grandpa loved them, and let me do exactly what my son is doing in the photo above. Sure, he might decide that cars aren't for him (or worse, start collecting Chevy's! :D Just kidding!!), but for now, he is in love with Studebakers, and he'll bring that with him forever.

I get a lot of comments on the child seat in the back seat of my Lark. One person recently had the audacity to tell me that having it in the back of the car totally ruined the look. My response was to politely tell him that I want my son to enjoy the car as much as I do, and if that means there's a non-matching child seat, so be it. These cars won't be around tomorrow if our kids don't want them.

Just sayin'. :cool: ;)

Chris Pile
07-28-2012, 03:30 AM
Right on, Jim!

BobGlasscock
07-28-2012, 07:47 AM
I'll second that!

BobPalma
07-28-2012, 07:50 AM
Right on, Jim! BP

53 Stewed Baker
07-28-2012, 08:00 AM
You are SO right! Been into Studes since MY dad brought home a 51 Bullet nose when I was a pup
Now I'm 70 on my 8/9th Baker AND MY son just drug home a 60 Champ PU. I'm PROUD

Its not th genes Its the enviorment Hope your boy(girls too) CARRY ON

By th way Great lookin Lark Lets see more of it

see ya'll in SB

53 Stewed Baker JIM

DEEPNHOCK
07-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Are his first words going to be "Caution - Fan" ???:rolleyes:

FlatheadGeo
07-28-2012, 08:56 AM
So true! My sons are not into cars. My nephew is, however, into cars and looks, sounds, drives like me and could be my clone. I shall be leaving my Studebaker to him.

michelle
07-28-2012, 09:58 AM
AWESOME photo Jim! :D That's what it's all about right there! When I first started driving, my dad told me I had to be able to change oil, spark plugs, etc. in order to get a a car. He took me down to his shop and picked out a bunch of wrenches and stuff so I'd have my own set of tools to keep in the trunk, put them in an old toolbox and gave 'em to me. That was 20 years ago. When I got the Stude, I brought all the tools out and was cleaning them up (painted the toolbox red and white to match the car) and my dad came over for a visit. He saw the tools all laid out and picked up one of the wrenches, studied it for a minute and said, "ya know, these are the tools my mother gave me back in the 50's when I got my first car." WOW! I had no idea that's where they came from! Anyway, passing this stuff down is so important! I love hearing others' stories! :D

http://www.carlson-design-studios.com/photoshare/DSCN0628.JPG

Studedude
07-28-2012, 11:32 AM
My thoughts, 'zactly. :eek: :ohmy: ;)

Roscomacaw
07-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Yeah, that hood safety catch might make an impression on him as well.

BobPalma
07-28-2012, 12:34 PM
'Looks to me like the youngster is just lifting the fender cover a tad to check for a battery hold-down. :cool: BP

kmac530
07-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Don't be a bunch of alarmist old farts people, Dad is watching son and the fan is fine! The motor is NOT running.
Jim, Great pic, I love it!!! Thanks for sharing the pic and your thoughts.
I am newer to Studes and bought mine on a whim not because I was so into to Studes specifically. Just saw it, saw the price, dropped a bid, bought my 2R.
But the reason I am into cars in general is because my dad was the garage alot and allowed me to hang out and "help" since I was under 1 year old. My folks have pics of me sitting in a puddle of spilled motor oil with a head gasket from a '59 Caddy wrapped around my head making motor sounds while my dad is doing a valve job on the Caddy, I was 9 months old. There is a pic I love of my dad holding me and we are eating that LONG string licorice racing to the middle. My dad is wearing his dark blue shop pants and light blue work shop unifom shirt and we are standing in front of a Renault Dolphine that we had just finished painting, I was about 3, maybe not the best Idea to have a 3 yr old in a spray booth, but hey I am fine and I LOVE cars. All cars. Anything cars. All aspects of building cars. Body work. Mechanical work. I love it! I love my memories of building bug motors at 16 yrs old with my best buddy while my dad is looking over my shoulder just making sure we were on the right track.
I remember being 7 yrs old and my dad telling me "if you are gonna ride your motorcycle, you need to learn how to fix it, go get 'your' tools and lets work on it". He made me do all of the work while he supervised. Now I offset my income by servicing motorcycles and quads of all of my friends. I am not making a living but I fiddle in the garage a couple hours a day when my neck can handle it and I make a couple hundred doallars a month which goes back into my Stude.

Thank Pop!

JimC
07-28-2012, 12:45 PM
His "first word" days are long over. I spent the first two years of his life teaching him to talk, and I suspect I'll spend the rest of it telling him to be quiet :D What a chatterbox!

He spends almost as much time under that hood as I do, it seems. The pic above was taken yesterday while I was getting useful parts off my hardtop before it gets scrapped. I had both my garages open, and I had left the hood open on the '63 so I could do a couple minor tune up things. While I was in the garage, he climbed up there on the front bumper without my noticing. (mom was watching him.) The first thing I hear him say is "all-tunn-ayer". So I headed over and sure enough, there he was pointing to the alternator. I was so proud. :)

I think that the greatest crime a car lover can commit is not sharing that passion with his children.

Michelle -

When my grandpa passed, I inherited a lot of his hand tools. They're your basic craftsman fodder from Sears, and most can still be purchased for a few bucks, but knowing their history makes them priceless.

JimC
07-28-2012, 12:51 PM
'Looks to me like the youngster is just lifting the fender cover a tad to check for a battery hold-down. :cool: BP
...and a few moments later, he rebuilt my carburetor. :woot:

The Gravedigger
07-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Very nice Jim...... take good care of the kid. And always remind the kid, "stay away from the chevy's" .... lol. If Studes aren't available, go for Ford's or Dodge's.....

That's what I'll plan to teach my children.... same philosophy!

JimC
07-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Very nice Jim...... take good care of the kid. And always remind the kid, "stay away from the chevy's" .... lol. If Studes aren't available, go for Ford's or Dodge's.....

That's what I'll plan to teach my children.... same philosophy!
My father in law is a Ford dealer, and my first car was in the mopar family, so I can agree with that. :D

On a serious note, I don't know why it happened like this, but in the dozens and dozens of cars, trucks, and the odd van I've owned in my life, I've only had one GM vehicle. It was a Black 1996 Buick Regal Olympic Edition. It had gold trim, leather interior, the whole works. Say what you will about the GM "W" body sedans, it was and still is one of the nicest vehicles I've ever owned. I sort of regret selling it, but amidst starting a business and trying to start a family, somewhere in there we got the idea that we "had to have" a minivan. On the bright side, I had that Regal in the shop on about a monthly basis for something, and aside from one $1100 repair this last year and a power steering pump a couple years ago, our Windstar hasn't needed a single thing outside of routine maintenance since we bought it almost 5 years ago. Gotta love that!

On the subject of this thread though, letting my boy work on the Studebakers with me has really opened his world to a whole new level of discovery. Since I rolled that '63 into the drive a few months ago, he has learned most of the big parts under the hood, and in a parking lot he can tell you which cars are Fords, which are Chevys, and which ones are Jeeps. (The rest all still blur together a lot, but c'mon, he's not quite three yet!) Getting to spend time with him "talking cars" has been the greatest experience of fatherhood for me, one I wouldn't trade for the world. All those guys who don't let the kids in their garage are seriously missing out.

rockinhawk
07-28-2012, 08:28 PM
I gave all 3 of my grandsons a Studebaker. The oldest and the youngest picked out the car they wanted out of my collection. Both chose Lark 2dr ht's. The middle kid was not much into cars but wanted one because the others had 0ne. He looked the fleet over and asked "Which one can I have Papa?" I offered him a 56 Flight Hawk that is being transformed to a custom 54 coupe. All of the cars were running but all needed a lot of work as I was hopeing to teach them some skills along the way.

Today the 2 youngest wereat the shop working on their cars when I overheard Josh say to Zack "When we get the brakes done on yours,and the paint dries on mine... We should get'em out in front of the shop and lin'em up!"
When he realized I was listening he said "Of course Papa will hafta drive mine and Uncle Russel can drive yours."

Lou Van Anne
07-28-2012, 11:54 PM
Ever since my oldest nephew, now approching 40, was a little guy, he has always shown an strong interest in my Avanti. So...I've made a deal with him: When I kick the bucket, he will take charge of dealing with those issues and in exchange, I have made sure the Avanti will be his. Trouble is...when ever I'm around him, I keep finding banana peels in my path. What should I do?

kmul221
07-29-2012, 05:51 AM
On another thought,I attended a cruise in Burlington Ont.2-3 weeks ago,any time a kid of any age got near one of the display cars the owner just about bit his/her head off "DON'T TOUCH !" I believe we should encourage looking & answer questions for future hobbiest.One child even jumped at the rebutal.
Come on people it's only a car & if you don't want people near it leave it at home!
I always encouraged my son in things mechanical & he is now one of the top tech's for a global heavy equipment manufacturer,unfortunatly he has gone over to the dark side(Chrysler)but is still enthusiastic about the hobby.SO guys allow the youngsters to look answer question,it's good for the hobby iin general.

55champion
07-29-2012, 07:48 AM
My two Grandchildren love my '55 and my grandaughter will say "When I am 16 old I want me a Studebaker", she is almost 6. We put the car seat in mine also and put the 2 year old in it and go to car shows,great fun for him.
Not to long ago our NC Studebaker Club held a show at Spencer Shops and 3 young girls were taking turns getting their pictures taken at my car. My wife and I walked over and opened the door so they could all get in and we took their pics in the car. The girls were so thankful that we had allowed them to sit in the car for photos...I always wecome the young folks to enjoy the car if they act interested....

STEWDI
07-29-2012, 09:54 AM
We're going to South Bend with the whole immediate family.
My son grew up with Studes and now has my former Power Hawk which he's driving to the meet. My daughter-in-law is driving the HHR "support vehicle" with our 2+ year old grandson who has already learned to inspect the underside of a display vehicle, so be fore-warned.
My daughter and son-in-law our coming - him for his first real Studebaker meet. He said that if he's going to be in this family, he'd better learn a few things about them. He's a sports guy (likes Avantis) and always wanted to see the Notre Dame stadium, so he's checking that out, too. :)

JimC
07-29-2012, 11:20 AM
On another thought,I attended a cruise in Burlington Ont.2-3 weeks ago,any time a kid of any age got near one of the display cars the owner just about bit his/her head off "DON'T TOUCH !" I believe we should encourage looking & answer questions for future hobbiest.One child even jumped at the rebutal.
Come on people it's only a car & if you don't want people near it leave it at home!
I always encouraged my son in things mechanical & he is now one of the top tech's for a global heavy equipment manufacturer,unfortunatly he has gone over to the dark side(Chrysler)but is still enthusiastic about the hobby.SO guys allow the youngsters to look answer question,it's good for the hobby iin general.

My two Grandchildren love my '55 and my grandaughter will say "When I am 16 old I want me a Studebaker", she is almost 6. We put the car seat in mine also and put the 2 year old in it and go to car shows,great fun for him.
Not to long ago our NC Studebaker Clud held a show at Spencer Shops and 3 young girls were taking turns getting their pictures taken at my car. My wife and I walked over and opened the door so they could all get in and we took their pics in the car. The girls were so thankful that we had allowed them to sit in the car for photos...I always wecome the young folks to enjoy the car if they act interested....

I TOTALLY agree with this! I get that restoring and preserving these cars is a lot of blood, sweat, and tears. I get that there are parts on our cars which are hard and sometimes impossible to find. I get that you can spend days (or more!) prepping your car for a show. But sometimes I see these guys ready to pounce on the 4 year old who touches the hood ornament, and I just want to shout "Guys! Don't you realize that those kids are the keepers of your cars after you're gone?!" Go ahead, yell at the kid because they touched your priceless car. When you're dead and gone, they'll repay the kindness by having it crushed into something useful like an I beam. Unless the kid is carrying a chocolate ice cream cone and a chili cheese dog, there's not a whole lot they can do to permanently damage a car in a few seconds of touching, especially if you're there to give some friendly guided supervision and help direct their curiosity.

s2d63lark
08-02-2012, 06:08 PM
My 12 year old son is most emphatic about us retaining the 61 E-40, my 20 year old step-daughter is chomping at the bit to get me going on the restoration of "her" 4E-2 deluxe Scotsman and our almost 3 year old daughter just loves the 63 Lark. All have been to local cruises and like the fact that our vehicles are decidedly different.
My 63 Lark was originally my Grandfathers car and was given to me by my Grandmother when she was no longer able to drive. Dad was a Chrysler man since the 1950's and they figured I would just use the car for a few years and then it would slowly fade away. I entered the club in 1978 after being followed home by a GT Hawk and my Dad having a "Chapter Calling Card" left on the windshield while parked at Queens Park one day. Then again, that was back when there were still "original" vehicles on the road semi-regularly. I learned all I could (and still am) about Studebaker and that is why it, and the others, survive to this day. My kids are being taught as well and hopefully the vehicles will continue to be used and enjoyed after I am gone (still aways off yet I hope).

Doug

showbizkid
08-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Not to hijack the topic, but Jim: what wheels do you have on there? I like that look a lot.

JimC
08-03-2012, 12:56 AM
Thanks Clark! Don't know how I missed your question.

They're the rally wheels that were used on AMC cars, like the Pacer and Gremlin.

No really. See:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=196930&d=1294435928

I know what you're asking. How could wheels so beautiful ever have been on a car so...unique? Fortunately, a previous owner liberated them from their plight, and today they sit proudly with snazzy whitewalls supporting a slightly cooler (IMHO) orphan car.

JimC
08-03-2012, 01:00 AM
Oh, the little spinners are cheapos made by a company called gorilla auto (http://gorilla-auto.com/). They're all over on Amazon. I think I'm going to take those spinners off and get a set that's got the swept bars.

showbizkid
08-03-2012, 10:12 AM
That's great! Purloining AMC parts for a Studebaker ;) Love it!

Now all I have to do is find a junk Pacer....!

JimC
08-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Now all I have to do is find a junk Pacer....!
(Intentionally resisting a response that could offend any Pacer fans in the crowd...)
:woot:

sals54
08-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Jim,
Another good thread. I like the way you think. I have six children but only one of them caught the car bug. Luckily, it was a Stude bug. While I like the hot rod version of my homely 54 Coupe, he chose the classier style of the 53 Hardtop and will create a beauty.