An exhausting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An exhausting question

I would like to know the opinion of forum members concerning replacement of the exhaust system on my Avanti.

Should I bite the bullet so to speak and spend for a complete stainless steel exhaust with ss mufflers, or obtain a standard aluminized pipe exhaust.....are todays pipes (non ss) better at rust resistance?

Thanks

Bite the bullet! Don Simmons exhaust is great! be sure to get the mufflers too, as they have the correct inlet/outlet. His pipes fit great.

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

Bite the bullet! Don Simmons exhaust is great! be sure to get the mufflers too, as they have the correct inlet/outlet. His pipes fit great.

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

Jim,

How do they differ rom the ss exhaust that Dan Booth (Nostalgic) sells?

Thanks.....

quote:Originally posted by 52 Ragtop

Jim

Comment

Jim,

How do they differ rom the ss exhaust that Dan Booth (Nostalgic) sells?

Thanks.....

quote:Originally posted by 52 Ragtop

Jim

Comment

I have a rather involved thread on Racing Studebakers concerning my
            rusted crappy exhaust and glasspacks. The general consensus is that
            Studebakers don't benefit from better exhausts like Brand X cars, so
            just buy what fits your pocket book.

I guess I will be going with a Silvertone exhaust, rather than the one
            that Nostalgic has. I am not completely convinced on the above advice
            and my dad bought the Nostalgic exhaust for his '69 Avanti. He wasnt
            very happy with the bends, saying many looked poorly done (crushed). I
            have heard good things about the Silvertone, though I have never SEEN
            it. Would ANYONE that has a Silvertone PLEASE post some pictures of
            the exhaust fit and bends?? I plan on going with the 2-1/4 inch since
            I might supercharge the engine at some point, and since the Avanti has
            a couple more bends, the larger size should keep good flow.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I have a rather involved thread on Racing Studebakers concerning my
              rusted crappy exhaust and glasspacks. The general consensus is that
              Studebakers don't benefit from better exhausts like Brand X cars, so
              just buy what fits your pocket book.

I guess I will be going with a Silvertone exhaust, rather than the one
              that Nostalgic has. I am not completely convinced on the above advice
              and my dad bought the Nostalgic exhaust for his '69 Avanti. He wasnt
              very happy with the bends, saying many looked poorly done (crushed). I
              have heard good things about the Silvertone, though I have never SEEN
              it. Would ANYONE that has a Silvertone PLEASE post some pictures of
              the exhaust fit and bends?? I plan on going with the 2-1/4 inch since
              I might supercharge the engine at some point, and since the Avanti has
              a couple more bends, the larger size should keep good flow.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

My Avanti came with a new exhaust when I purchased but, I just put in a new system In my Hawk. I purchased it at www.waldronexhaust.com . They quoted me on a regular & stainless steel. For $825 I purchased a dual stainless steel system, icluding stainless steel mufflers and shipping. It fit perfectly. Would check them, as well. Your better off going stainless. For me it was a $125 difference. Kantor in Boonton NJ wanted double the price and their 1 block from where I work..

Comment

My Avanti came with a new exhaust when I purchased but, I just put in a new system In my Hawk. I purchased it at www.waldronexhaust.com . They quoted me on a regular & stainless steel. For $825 I purchased a dual stainless steel system, icluding stainless steel mufflers and shipping. It fit perfectly. Would check them, as well. Your better off going stainless. For me it was a $125 difference. Kantor in Boonton NJ wanted double the price and their 1 block from where I work..

Comment

I installed a set of Don Simmons stainless duals on my Daytona on Wednesday. Great pipes and mufflers! Everything fits, looks great, sounds great.

Jim Bradley
                    '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
                    Jim Bradley
                    Lake Monticello, VA
                    '78 Avanti II
                    sigpic

Comment

I installed a set of Don Simmons stainless duals on my Daytona on Wednesday. Great pipes and mufflers! Everything fits, looks great, sounds great.

Jim Bradley
                      '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
                      Jim Bradley
                      Lake Monticello, VA
                      '78 Avanti II
                      sigpic

Comment

I checked their website and while it seems like a good 'ol American Co. I was NOT impressed with their generic photos with the wrong muffler and pipes for a '51-'60 V-8 single, which is all that is shown as available for late models except the duals with no pic. I guess they forgot that Studebaker built cars after 1960! Also their standard SS kits do not include Stainless mufflers, I guess bonehead special ordered them with optional stainless ones.

I noticed they used those lousy (leak prone) universal slip joint flanges at the manifold. Does anybody know if Silvertone uses that junk, as opposed to the correct hard to angle jig-welded factory type flanges?

quote:Originally posted by bonehead007

I purchased it at www.waldronexhaust.com
                        StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I checked their website and while it seems like a good 'ol American Co. I was NOT impressed with their generic photos with the wrong muffler and pipes for a '51-'60 V-8 single, which is all that is shown as available for late models except the duals with no pic. I guess they forgot that Studebaker built cars after 1960! Also their standard SS kits do not include Stainless mufflers, I guess bonehead special ordered them with optional stainless ones.

I noticed they used those lousy (leak prone) universal slip joint flanges at the manifold. Does anybody know if Silvertone uses that junk, as opposed to the correct hard to angle jig-welded factory type flanges?

quote:Originally posted by bonehead007

I purchased it at www.waldronexhaust.com
                          StudeRich
                          Studebakers Northwest
                          Ferndale, WA
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Pictures ... PLEASE .. post pictures .. PLEASE!! If you take them and
                            email them to me I will even host and post them. I think its worth it
                            to share the quality of vendor items, it can help those (like myself)
                            that are on the fence to decide.

Tom

quote:Originally posted by Rerun

I installed a set of Don Simmons stainless duals on my Daytona on Wednesday .... Everything fits, looks great, sounds great.

Comment

Pictures ... PLEASE .. post pictures .. PLEASE!! If you take them and
                              email them to me I will even host and post them. I think its worth it
                              to share the quality of vendor items, it can help those (like myself)
                              that are on the fence to decide.

Tom

quote:Originally posted by Rerun

I installed a set of Don Simmons stainless duals on my Daytona on Wednesday .... Everything fits, looks great, sounds great.

Comment

Working...
                              X