PDA

View Full Version : Marking my trail all the way to South Bend

07-26-2012, 08:12 PM
After putting about 50 miles on my "new" 3.07 rear end in the '64 Avanti I noticed a different oil spot, one back toward the rear. My pinion seal is leaking. Never even thought about just replacing it while the rear end was out of the car. Now I don't have time or inclination to change it. So, a trail we will leave.

52 Ragtop
07-26-2012, 09:33 PM
ALL Studebakers leave a mark! <G> Hope to see you there.

Jim

Pat Dilling
07-26-2012, 10:00 PM
I am leaving a trail of coolant across I-80 so America will know we are on the move! Travel safe.

DieselJim
07-26-2012, 10:04 PM
About 6 inches over from the left spring perch and at the 4 o clock position there is a 1/8 inch vent hole. Check to see if it is pluged. If it is pluged, pressure will build and make leaks worse. Jim

BobPalma
07-27-2012, 08:32 AM
Paul: First check the vent hole as Jim suggests.

Pinion seal leaks aren't usually that disabling, but you do want to check and fill the unit as you progress.

That can be difficult without a lift, but here's a neat kit I found that is just the trick for filling differentials or manual transmissions while lying on your back with the car on the ground:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF3509.jpg

This is a little pump with a flexible delivery tube. The pump screws into the bottle of gear lube and the flexible outlet tube [from the pump] can then be placed in the open fill hole. A few pumps and the unit is topped off, all from ground level without the car on a lift.

Of course, you don't have to use the outboard motor gear lube supplied; you can use whatever lube you carry for the differential or transmission. BP

2R5
07-27-2012, 08:33 AM
Now thats good to know .....thanks Jim

07-27-2012, 09:15 AM
About 6 inches over from the left spring perch and at the 4 o clock position there is a 1/8 inch vent hole. Check to see if it is pluged. If it is pluged, pressure will build and make leaks worse. Jim
Thanks. I'll check that today when I check the fluid level.

07-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Paul: First check the vent hole as Jim suggests.

Pinion seal leaks aren't usually that disabling, but you do want to check and fill the unit as you progress.

That can be difficult without a lift, but here's a neat kit I found that is just the trick for filling differentials or manual transmissions while lying on your back with the car on the ground:

This is a little pump with a flexible delivery tube. The pump screws into the bottle of gear lube and the flexible outlet tube [from the pump] can then be placed in the open fill hole. A few pumps and the unit is topped off, all from ground level without the car on a lift.

Of course, you don't have to use the outboard motor gear lube supplied; you can use whatever lube you carry for the differential or transmission. BP
Very neat gadget. Where did you find that? Thanks,

BobPalma
07-27-2012, 10:02 AM

Menards, Paul.

I can't believe it would be that difficult to find elsewhere, though. :) BP

Lou Van Anne
07-27-2012, 11:13 AM
I am leaving a trail of coolant across I-80 so America will know we are on the move! Travel safe.
...and so you can find your way home?

07-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Found the vent hole. It was pretty well hidden under a crust of dirt and crud. I could only see it after I sprayed the area with brake cleaner and wiped it down good. I poked it out with a small Allen wrench. I knew I should have cleaned and painted the differential before installing. I also cleaned off the differential housing so I can see how much it leaks after driving a while. I topped off the differential too so at least I will have a bench mark now..

Bullet
07-28-2012, 09:30 PM
I did not leave any oil or water drops, but left puddles of power steering fluid from the painted dessert, then one of the hoses blew in Gallup NM. I was towed to Albuquerque and had to leave it till Monday and then we see what the damages are. However, my wife and I rented a car and are driving on. We will be in SB watching and looking at cars instead of driving and looking.

Mark

07-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Thanks again Bob. Saw a Menard store just off US30 in Crestline, OH. Decided to check- found the pump (alone) in a blister pack. Went back to the car in the parking lot, jacked it up and pumped gear oil in to the differential.
Wish we had Menards. That store is gigantic- could hold a Super Walmart, Lowe's and Home Depot at one time.