Marking my trail all the way to South Bend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marking my trail all the way to South Bend

After putting about 50 miles on my "new" 3.07 rear end in the '64 Avanti I noticed a different oil spot, one back toward the rear. My pinion seal is leaking. Never even thought about just replacing it while the rear end was out of the car. Now I don't have time or inclination to change it. So, a trail we will leave.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

ALL Studebakers leave a mark! <G> Hope to see you there.

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

I am leaving a trail of coolant across I-80 so America will know we are on the move! Travel safe.
      Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

About 6 inches over from the left spring perch and at the 4 o clock position there is a 1/8 inch vent hole. Check to see if it is pluged. If it is pluged, pressure will build and make leaks worse. Jim

Comment

Paul: First check the vent hole as Jim suggests.

Pinion seal leaks aren't usually that disabling, but you do want to check and fill the unit as you progress.

That can be difficult without a lift, but here's a neat kit I found that is just the trick for filling differentials or manual transmissions while lying on your back with the car on the ground:

This is a little pump with a flexible delivery tube. The pump screws into the bottle of gear lube and the flexible outlet tube [from the pump] can then be placed in the open fill hole. A few pumps and the unit is topped off, all from ground level without the car on a lift.

Of course, you don't have to use the outboard motor gear lube supplied; you can use whatever lube you carry for the differential or transmission. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Now thats good to know .....thanks Jim
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJim View Post
              About 6 inches over from the left spring perch and at the 4 o clock position there is a 1/8 inch vent hole. Check to see if it is pluged. If it is pluged, pressure will build and make leaks worse. Jim
              Thanks. I'll check that today when I check the fluid level.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                Paul: First check the vent hole as Jim suggests.

Pinion seal leaks aren't usually that disabling, but you do want to check and fill the unit as you progress.

That can be difficult without a lift, but here's a neat kit I found that is just the trick for filling differentials or manual transmissions while lying on your back with the car on the ground:

This is a little pump with a flexible delivery tube. The pump screws into the bottle of gear lube and the flexible outlet tube [from the pump] can then be placed in the open fill hole. A few pumps and the unit is topped off, all from ground level without the car on a lift.

Of course, you don't have to use the outboard motor gear lube supplied; you can use whatever lube you carry for the differential or transmission. BP
                Very neat gadget. Where did you find that? Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                  Menards, Paul.

I can't believe it would be that difficult to find elsewhere, though. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                    I am leaving a trail of coolant across I-80 so America will know we are on the move! Travel safe.
                    ...and so you can find your way home?
                    Lou Van Anne
                    62 Champ
                    64 R2 GT Hawk
                    79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJim View Post
                      Found the vent hole. It was pretty well hidden under a crust of dirt and crud. I could only see it after I sprayed the area with brake cleaner and wiped it down good. I poked it out with a small Allen wrench. I knew I should have cleaned and painted the differential before installing. I also cleaned off the differential housing so I can see how much it leaks after driving a while. I topped off the differential too so at least I will have a bench mark now..

Comment

I did not leave any oil or water drops, but left puddles of power steering fluid from the painted dessert, then one of the hoses blew in Gallup NM. I was towed to Albuquerque and had to leave it till Monday and then we see what the damages are. However, my wife and I rented a car and are driving on. We will be in SB watching and looking at cars instead of driving and looking.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                          Thanks again Bob. Saw a Menard store just off US30 in Crestline, OH. Decided to check- found the pump (alone) in a blister pack. Went back to the car in the parking lot, jacked it up and pumped gear oil in to the differential.
                          Wish we had Menards. That store is gigantic- could hold a Super Walmart, Lowe's and Home Depot at one time.

Comment

Working...
                          X