PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker National Museum in WSJ

Bob Bryant
07-25-2012, 10:10 PM
The weekend edition of the WSJ had a nice article about the current exhibition of micro-cars. A photo of a Nash Metropolitan was shown. Great publicity in a national publication.

Chris_Dresbach
07-25-2012, 11:10 PM
I haven't seen the article but that Nash is one nice car. Any photos of Studebakers?

BobPalma
07-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Here's the article:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/wsjsnmarticle.jpg

Pretty good overall, but Nash Metropolitans can go well over 40 mph without blowing up. 50-55 easily and with regularity; much more if pushed. That information is erroneous. :mad:

Perhaps Craig Parslow will chime in with more international corrections! ;) BP

studegary
07-26-2012, 01:16 PM
In early 1964 (IIRC), we were shopping for a car for Cathy to use to go a short distance to work. We looked at a BMW Isetta - too unsafe. We looked at a Metropolitan - okay up to about 45 mph and then seemed like you were really straining/pushing it. We ended up buying a very good car - a 1961 Lark VIII Regal sedan.

8E45E
07-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Here's the article:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/wsjsnmarticle.jpg

Pretty good overall, but Nash Metropolitans can go well over 40 mph without blowing up. 50-55 easily and with regularity; much more if pushed. That information is erroneous. :mad:

Perhaps Craig Parslow will chime in with more international corrections! ;) BP

I will add about the Mini. The Austin Countryman/Morris Traveller is a station wagon; not 'reminicent' of one, and the 'panels' upon which the wood trim is fastened to are painted steel.

Perhaps one could enlighten the WSJ editor Studebaker actually thought about importing the Goggomobile mini-car, but they rejected doing so in the end.

Craig

07-26-2012, 02:09 PM
The weekend edition of the WSJ had a nice article about the current exhibition of micro-cars. A photo of a Nash Metropolitan was shown. Great publicity in a national publication.
When I was a kid the woman across the street traded in her '48 Plymouth woody station wagon for a Nash Metropolitan. She was a single woman, but had three big dogs (and she could get herself and the dogs in the car).