1958 Champion V8 engine, trans and rear with title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1958 Champion V8 engine, trans and rear with title

My Grandfather has a 1958 V8 and drive train from a Champion. The car was purchased new by his friend and it was wrecked the same year with only 3600 miles on it. My grandfather saved the motor and drive train from it and has stored it inside since. I am not a Studebaker guy but he has asked me to sell it for him. He also explained to me, if I have this correct, that Studebaker used to title the motor and drive train instead of the body. He has the title for this. can anyone on here give me an idea as to how much this may be worth and would there be any interest in these items? Thanks

Some states titled by engine, others by vin #. I seen both

How much are you asking?

check private messages for contact info

take care

george o
    Last edited by george o; 07-25-2012, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Greetings, em, and welcome to the forum. If it's a V8, it's most likely a Commander engine. Check with grandpa, because that would make it a bit more valuable, I think. Most titles go with the car (body and chassis), but that's a nice thing to have, too. Condition means everything. Maybe an SDC member close to you could take a look. Good luck.
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Yeah, Champions always came with a 185cu.in. flathead 6 cylinder. V8s came in Commanders AND Presidents. If the engine # starts with a V, it would be a 259 cu.in. It it starts with a P, it would be a 289 cu.in. The low mileage aspect of this engine would only matter if the engine had been stored right (not just "inside") - after all these years. If it can be turned by hand, that's a good sign. If it's stuck, that's not so good. Either way, it's still gonna be a gamble for someone to buy. I'd say - depending on what transmission it has - 4 or 500 bucks IF it's not stuck. Stuck, and if it's a 289 - 2 to 300 bucks.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The mystery will be solved by providing the number from the title and the number stamped on the top front of the engine next to the oil filler tube.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Thanks folks. I will go see Grandpa this weekend

I will try to round up the info on the motor and trans etc this weekend and post it. Thanks

Comment

Hello, is the 58 V8 and drivetrain still available? Thanks
              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Ok I finally have all the details. It is a 1952 flathead 6 from a champion. the car was bought and wrecked the same year and all the parts were pulled from it and stored indoors until now. Here is the link with pictures and info. Thanks folks

Comment

For the sake of search engines - it's spelled studEbaker , not studAbaker. Good luck with find that a home. You might wanna add whether or not it turns freely (the engine) or it's stuck. It could EASILY have gotten stuck in 60 years - even with inside storage.
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I fixed the spelling and am reposting the correct info

Comment

Working...
                    X