PDA

View Full Version : Hey SN60. Studebaker racing question A1

jnormanh
07-24-2012, 03:40 PM
In 1963 the Indy 500 was still one of the races counting towards the F1 championship.

What longstanding F1 record did Unser's '63 Novi break?

jnormanh
07-24-2012, 06:52 PM
Awwww....c'mon, SN-60. Here, I'll give you a hint.

The car which previously held this record for many years had a 3 liter, 4-valve, 4-cam, supercharged V-8.*

*And Bud Winfield knew about it back in '39 when he went to see Leo Goossen about designing a 3 liter, 4-valve, 4-cam, supercharged V-8. You don't think Bud came up with that idea out of the clear blue, do you?

SN-60
07-24-2012, 07:21 PM
To; jnormanh,----- You're back! Good! I was wondering where You were at! Now to Your question.....First off, Your mentioning the #6 Tropicana Spl. and not the #56 car threw Me since as You know,
#56 was faster and had a better overall record than Unser's car. Then I thought it was something about Unser Himself since, as far as I know, at that point in His career He hadn't competed in other
Grand Prix races. (This was Bobby Unser's first Indy for that matter.) Anyway, I'm blabbing on here so I better take a stab (guess) at You original question..... I've never really followed european GP
racing, but from the clues which You have thrown out there, My guess is the pre-war Mercedes-Benz Grand Prix Specials.

SN-60
07-24-2012, 08:11 PM
To: jnormanh,------Now that I think about it.......were'nt those M-B's 12's? But also....I believe You're saying the NOVI had four valves per cylinder (post#2). I'm quite sure it had two valves per....isn't that correct?

jnormanh
07-25-2012, 05:50 AM
To: jnormanh,------Now that I think about it.......were'nt those M-B's 12's? But also....I believe You're saying the NOVI had four valves per cylinder (post#2). I'm quite sure it had two valves per....isn't that correct?

Yes, you're absolutely correct, the Novi is a two-valve.

I must have had one too many when I typed that clue.

You're also correct, when the Novi appeared at Indy in '63, it became the most powerful car ever in F1, the prior most powerful was the 1937 Mercedes W125 straight 8 which claimed 610 (some say 646) HP.

SN-60
07-25-2012, 04:11 PM
To: jnormanh,------- I was right? Great! Because that truly was a guess....sometimes I get lucky! (But why never lucky at Foxwood's?)