Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Removing speedometer cable from the firewall-- HELP

Hello everyone.

I need to disconnect the speedometer at the firewall and don't know how.

I dont know if is supposed to be this way or not,but where it comes out of the firewall,the cable rubs against the the rear portion of the rocker cover. also, the nut is very tight,so i put a little WD-40 on it.

I am in the process of repainting both valve covers,and dont want the cable to ruin the job. The speedometer cable is routed over the overdrive cable, and i want to route it underneath.

If i disconnect it at the firewall, what happens then? The speedo is fine, i just want reposistion the cable.My Studebaker is a 16G8F2,a late 1955 Commander collum shift with overdrive.

Any ideas?

Thanks-

55CMNDR

It is usually the Parking Brake Cable that is difficult to remove and sometimes hitting the Valve Cover, Speedometer cables do not disconnect at the firewall and are easy to remove.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi Rich-

If I can get the nut loose for the parking brake cable on the the firewall, how can i reroute it as in my previous post?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 55cmndr View Post
        Hi Rich-

If I can get the nut loose for the parking brake cable on the the firewall, how can i reroute it as in my previous post?

Thanks
        As Rich says, the parking brake cable can be difficult. You have to unfasten the cable at the connection to the lever under the car where it pulls the brake cable to both rear wheels. Unfortunately you also have to take the handle assembly loose from the dash to be able to pull the cable out far to disconnect it from the handle to re-route it (that nut on the firewall is part of it). Then watch for flying parts when you try to take the upper end of the cable out of the handle assembly. You will probably also find several clips along the way holding the cable between the firewall and the rear end of the front cable. I just finished this job on an Avanti and I can tell you the shop manual DOES NOT tell you where all it is fastened. On an Avanti, in one case, it's pretty much a two man job because of a "u" bolt clip through the floor at the accelerator pedal.
        Also, WD40 isn't a good rust penetrator. Use Kroil, PB Blaster or equivalent.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
        X