PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Avanti

StudeMichael
07-21-2012, 09:16 AM
What would you do with this Avanti if it was yours? Would you change the color back to the original color?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Studebaker-Avanti-Yellow-Studebaker-Avanti-R2-Supercharged-Collector-Car-/140803868894?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item20c89088de

PackardV8
07-21-2012, 09:47 AM
I could live with the yellow. With the Kelly history, the repaint is now part of the provenance,

jack vines

JBOYLE
07-21-2012, 09:51 AM
Jack...There is a yellow 63 here in town. None of the other local Avanti guys have ever seen it and I just saw it once at a repair shop so it's local. Have you ever seen it?

With that color it looks like the car on the box top of the 1970s reissue of the AMT model kit.

jclary
07-21-2012, 09:53 AM
What would you do with this Avanti if it was yours? Would you change the color back to the original color?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Studebaker-Avanti-Yellow-Studebaker-Avanti-R2-Supercharged-Collector-Car-/140803868894?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item20c89088de

Heck no! I wouldn't repaint it! If I didn't like the color so much, I wouldn't buy it in the first place. Knowing what it takes to properly repaint a car and all the risks involved, leave it alone. Name it "Old Yeller" and drive it like you stole it!:)

Looking at the ad, I do have questions though. He states that he bought the car in November, 2011 and never drove it. Then he states that it runs great and the four speed shifts flawlessly. If he never drove it...how does he know?:confused:

bezhawk
07-21-2012, 10:00 AM
I would pull the engine and paint the inner fenders yellow to match, and perhaps better wheels. The paint looks pretty good from the pictures, but who knows up close.
I painted an Avanti Ferrari Fly Yellow, and it changed the character of the car.
Personally I think Avantis are gentelmens cruisers, not hot rods. They seem awkward and looking to find an identity. Garish colors are for the Coupe Express fellers.;):ohmy:

SN-60
07-21-2012, 10:28 AM
This Avanti may be one of the nicest ones around.....I don't know........but I DO know that yellow color does NOTHING for the car. (nothing positive anyway!)

52-fan
07-21-2012, 10:48 AM
Looking at the ad, I do have questions though. He states that he bought the car in November, 2011 and never drove it. Then he states that it runs great and the four speed shifts flawlessly. If he never drove it...how does he know?:confused:

I wondered about that too. If the car has been sitting unused for a long time it will likely have issues. If he is one of those people who starts the car from time to time and moves it around a bit the story might be different.

swvalcon
07-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Paint looks good I would leave it as is. At least you will be seen when driving it and if someone runs into you they can't say they didn't see you.

sweetolbob
07-21-2012, 10:53 AM
I would pull the engine and paint the inner fenders yellow to match, and perhaps better wheels. The paint looks pretty good from the pictures, but who knows up close.
I painted an Avanti Ferrari Fly Yellow, and it changed the character of the car.
Personally I think Avantis are gentelmens cruisers, not hot rods. They seem awkward and looking to find an identity. Garish colors are for the Coupe Express fellers.;):ohmy:

Originally posted by SN-60
This Avanti may be one of the nicest ones around.....I don't know........but I DO know that yellow color does NOTHING for the car. (nothing positive anyway!)

GULP!!!:o

Should I rethink spraying the 1970 Buick GSX Saturn Yellow w/ Black highlights on my 74 Avanti then!!!:confused:

NAH!! I'll just take the beating and be the most visible Avanti in the area.:woot:

Noisiest Too!! I hope:rolleyes:

Dang, it's getting harder and harder to be a 70 year old teenager around here.:woot::!:

Bob:D:D:D:D

s2dwagon
07-21-2012, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't change color just to be changing it, but, when time came, I'd probably go with a stock color. Also, I thought that the 64's had square headlights.

--Scott

studegary
07-21-2012, 12:45 PM
I wouldn't change color just to be changing it, but, when time came, I'd probably go with a stock color. Also, I thought that the 64's had square headlights.

--Scott

This Avanti was built after the first square headlight Avanti was built (for show), but before the first square headlight Avanti was built for normal, retail delivery.

Gunslinger
07-21-2012, 01:31 PM
The serial number listed on that car has got to be wrong or the car has had many changes made to be like a '63. The serial number is after the first production square headlight car (R4892), but has round headlights (still available after R4892), the hood support is on the left side rather than the right which would be correct for a post-R4892 car, the console levers and the console altogether is a pre-R4892 type. The console is also modified for what looks like a Hurst shifter. That may be picking nits, though.

As far as being a '64 Avanti it wouldn't be at all uncommon to see a '63 titled as a '64 as many were done that way per Studebaker instructions. It looks it may well be a case where the serial number is listed incorrectly, but after so many years a lot of modifications have been done on that car which makes it tough to determine what it might really be. For all anyone knows it might have been a '63 that was reframed or a '64 frame that was rebodied.

studegary
07-21-2012, 01:37 PM
I think that it just has to be evaluated as a custom Avanti. Without even knowing the car or seeing it, there are many modifications. I don't mind the car, but would not look at it as correct or authentic.

Bob Langer
07-21-2012, 02:42 PM
The serial number is from the Black 1964 he sold.

http://www.studebaker-info.org/AVDB1/R4000/R4957b/64R4957bx0312/64R4957bx0312.html

jlmccuan
07-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Buy it and flip it to DeepnHock. He can't resist yellow.