Beat-up by my ignition switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Beat-up by my ignition switch

OK, my left arm isn't what it used to be since I shattered my shoulder.

But tonight I gathered up my courage once again to have a go at trying to mount my new ignition switch in the dash of my GT. No matter how many times I've tried, I never seem able to push the switch far enough into the bezel so I can turn and lock it. Are there any tricks to make this work?

Tonight, I took the tension spring and squished it in the vise, hoping a few daysof that might reduce the tension a little.

I did get it pretty close once months ago without the plastic washer in place. But i'd like to do it "right" if I can.

Paul
    I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
    1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

I can understand what your going through. With the plastic washer ( which difuses the light for the switch) it makes it even harder. What I have done in the past is put a dot of white out even with the ignition cylinder to assist in guiding it into the bezel. It's still a bit of a push but at least that hard part is done with. If your not concerned about the light for the switch, then leave the plastic ring off & youll have that much less tension to overcome.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Are you sure that you have the right bezel? I seem to recall bezels of two different depths, for different applications. Maybe you have a short one and need a long one?
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
      X