PDA

View Full Version : North Star Chapter - anyone have an auto transport trailer I could rent to go South Bend = Solved

gohdes
07-17-2012, 11:30 PM
UPDATE 7/20: Solved = I got a trailer to use.
Thanks!

Looking to rent an auto transport trailer to tow my 60 Lark to South Bend from the Minneapolis Metro area, just not trusting it lately. Obviously, I want a flatbed, not a tow dolly. I would be pulling it with a Ford Expedition (w/full tow package).
Checking my options, cheapest I found was $270 from A-Z rental for the week.
http://www.a-zrental.com/equipment.asp?action=category&category=36&key=2CTRLRCAR1

Let me know if you have one you are not using, and would be willing to strike a deal with me.
Thanks,
Eric

Milaca
07-18-2012, 06:31 PM
The trailer that you have pictured is a heavy-duty type, like used for transporting a skid-loader or tractor. Perhaps they have one to rent that is lighter-duty with a lighter-price? Did you check U-Haul's rates?

sweetolbob
07-18-2012, 07:26 PM
The trailer that you have pictured is a heavy-duty type, like used for transporting a skid-loader or tractor. Perhaps they have one to rent that is lighter-duty with a lighter-price? Did you check U-Haul's rates?

Uhaul is $55/day but if you buy the insurance and I recommend you do, you will be pushing $70/day. That's if you take it back to the original rental place. One way is substantially more.

On the plus side, I rent Uhaul because they are excellent trailers and tow great.

Bob

gohdes
07-18-2012, 10:40 PM

I will call A-Z Rental to find out more info on the trailer, and see if there's add on insurance. that trailer was an "example" and may differ from actual rental according to their website. Bummer is, it's in Eden Prairie.

U-haul was $330 for six days plus $56 insurance. The plus side, is the U-haul is about 3/4 of a mile from my house, and I would bring it back to same at end of week. But price is a factor, so I am shopping around.

thanks,
Eric

Milaca
07-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Does your Expedition have an electric brake controller? If not, a controller can be had for about $75 plus the price of an adapter harness which will allow it to easily plug in under the dash. Otherwise, the U-Haul trailer doesnt need a controller as it has self-contained surge brakes.

gohdes
07-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Does your Expedition have an electric brake controller? If not, a controller can be had for about $75 plus the price of an adapter harness which will allow it to easily plug in under the dash. Otherwise, the U-Haul trailer doesnt need a controller as it has self-contained surge brakes.

so far all the places I have called have the trailers with "surge brakes", and do not require a brake controller.

gohdes
07-20-2012, 11:06 AM

Brent, where do you buy those controllers? Hilltop Tailer in Fridley wants $185 to install one. Is this something I could install myself?

Milaca
07-20-2012, 01:25 PM
I cant speak for your Ford Expedition, but I assume it is similar to my 2000 Ford F-150 in that it has a receptacle under the dash (above the accelerator pedal) in which a brake controller can be plugged into, thus not needing any splicing or additional wiring. Look at your Expedition's owner's manual as it should cover electric trailer brake hook-up. I bought my controller at my local auto supply store along with an adapter that allowed the brake controller to plug into the factory installed receptacle. I dont recall exactly, but I think the controller was about $75 and the adapter harness for an F-150 was about $12.

gohdes
07-20-2012, 09:28 PM
I cant speak for your Ford Expedition, but I assume it is similar to my 2000 Ford F-150 in that it has a receptacle under the dash (above the accelerator pedal) in which a brake controller can be plugged into, thus not needing any splicing or additional wiring. Look at your Expedition's owner's manual as it should cover electric trailer brake hook-up. I bought my controller at my local auto supply store along with an adapter that allowed the brake controller to plug into the factory installed receptacle. I dont recall exactly, but I think the controller was about $75 and the adapter harness for an F-150 was about $12.

Yes, after doing some google searching, and having the 7-pin connector on my expedition, I do have said harness above the accel pedal. Nice to know if I ever need it.
Dean Elsted is willing to rent me his trailer, but I would have the expense of installing the brake controller.
I did, however, get a hold of my sister-in-law's friend who will let me borrow their trailer. So, I have a free trailer to use. Yeah!
Problem Solved.
Thanks Everyone!