Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebaker Dealer still Open for Business?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Dealer still Open for Business?

Yep, here it is:

From time to time, someone "discovers" this "Studebaker" dealer on the east side of Richmond IN on The National Road; U.S.40.

It's still open for business; we drove past it Sunday afternoon, July 15, 2012.

Sometime, I'll have to stop in and ask if there is any known connection to the South Bend "Band of Brothers." BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

It would be fun to drive in with a Studebaker, and say the No Rol valve needs adjustment. Would a blank stare be the reply?
    Bill Jarvis

Comment

I can't imagine what the purpose would be in today's world to have that nice new "Studebaker" sign up there.

The only obvious answer is that it shows they were there a long time?

But it's kind of pointless unless they have some nice re-conditioned Studes. in the Showroom for sale like Frost & French Studebaker in LA did for years after the Hamilton Plant closed.

It would sure be interesting to find out!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That style sign wasn't yet in use when Studes were still being produced, so whomever wanted that dealer sign made a deliberate decision to have Studebaker added. Knowing the "rest of the story" would be very interesting.

Maybe the dealership owner's name is Studebaker?
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Locally owned and operated in Richmond, Indiana since 1979. I wouldn't mind having a dealer namplate, tag or license plate frame from this dealership.

Bill Sapp
          Hamlet, NC

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
            That style sign wasn't yet in use when Studes were still being produced, so whomever wanted that dealer sign made a deliberate decision to have Studebaker added. Knowing the "rest of the story" would be very interesting.

Maybe the dealership owner's name is Studebaker?
            Yes, Bruce; that is a legitimate sign; not photoshopped or anything.

However, I did take it several years ago, not last Sunday.

That dealership has been there as long as I can remember; the family that owns it is named Studebaker. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hey! YOU are REALLY having fun with that scanner, huh, Bob?

John

Comment

When I looked at the sign, the only thing that popped into my mind was that the name of the dealership's owner had to be Studebaker. It just looks kinda strange seeing the name on a GMC sign. Good stuff.
                Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

As Bob Palma said, the name of the dealership is Studebaker (owners name) Buick & GMC truck
                  George King
                  Grants Pass, Oregon
                  64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

They must be in the import business. I mean, they're still building them up in Canada <G>

It is interesting to see a dealership owned by a "Studebaker". You'd have to think there's some connection there.
                    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnywiffer View Post
                      Hey! YOU are REALLY having fun with that scanner, huh, Bob?

John
                      Woo-hoo, Johnny...but that was actually a photograph from my camera; no scanning involved. BP

Comment

I thought that there was already a topic/thread covering this (Studebaker dealership).
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My travels have taken me to Studebaker Buick, GMC , sevreal times.
                          Here are items they gave me.

Husband of Lark VIII girl
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            I thought that there was already a topic/thread covering this (Studebaker dealership).
                            There was back in December when I posted a photo of their Merry Christmas billboard along U.S. 40, Gary. But it wasn't in front of the dealership, so this sign wasn't visible.

Not to say it's never been posted here, though! BP

Comment

I've been led to believe the three Stutenbeckers who immigrated in 1736 were the only ones to have the spelling recorded as Studebaker. Leading me to believe there are no Studebakers in the U.S. who are not descended from those original three.
                              Note there would have been many family branches by the time the Studebaker brothers started cranking out wagons a hundred-sixteen years later.
                              Brad Johnson,
                              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X