PDA

View Full Version : Update on Studebaker Hamilton plant demolition

Stu Chapman
07-17-2012, 10:39 AM
This morning I had a discussion with the property supervisor at the Hamilton Canada Studebaker plant/office facility. Demolition plans are moving more slowly than anticipated and the City of Hamilton has not yet issued the demolition permit. Our biggest concern was that this historic event might occur while we were all away in South Bend. I have been assured that would be highly unlikely. I will be checking again prior to leaving for South Bend and will keep all of you posted.
Stu Chapman

2R5
07-17-2012, 11:18 AM
Thats good Stu....would hate to miss that .

Stu Chapman
07-28-2012, 11:27 AM
One of my last minute things to do before heading to South Bend was to check on the progress of the Studebaker Hamilton demolition program and that was done this morning. It would appear that all interior clean-out has been completed and the next move is to secure demolition permits. Since these technicalities always take some time, I don't expect the wrecking ball to start swinging for a while yet. The minute I have confirmation I will keep everyone updated. There will be an opportunity for an on-property Studebaker car show before demolition begins.

Just so you know, we have been talking to the appropriate parties at the City of Hamilton and consideration of naming the to-be-developed property after Studebaker is a possibility, as is designating the original address of Ferrie Street as Studebaker Drive. Mike Emmerich, Secretary of the Hamilton Chapter, is keeping on top of all such historical designations for us. We will ensure that the Studebaker heritage in Hamilton will carry on.

Stay tuned.

Stu Chapman