PDA

View Full Version : two tone commander

bill matwijec
07-16-2012, 06:18 PM
I want to two tone my 1965 commander . i have seen plenty of larks like this but only commanders like mine with the roof another color. i would like to do my car brown bottom ,white middle and brown roof but i am not sure if it would look right. I am just looking for opinions . thank you.

raprice
07-16-2012, 06:23 PM
I would think that the car would look beautiful with the brown bottom and a white roof. Very uncomplicated and nice looking. My 2 cents.
Rog

JRoberts
07-16-2012, 07:12 PM
I like the idea of brown on the bottom and white on the top, if it is split at the belt line. I think that if you had it brown-white-brown it would look like a fleet car of some kind. Same thing if just the roof was white.

StudeRich
07-17-2012, 12:17 PM
We do not know of any Commanders that were Factory two-toned.
One good thing is the '64-'66 Commanders were the only model 4 door sedans that had the stainless steel drip rail moulding.
So some of your paintline is already hidden. That just leaves the bottom of the "C" pillar that needs a '66 Cruiser Moulding. And the "A" pillar that needs a '65-'66 Daytona Sport Sedan Moulding.

I realize it's your choice and your car, but my opinion is, the 4 Doors look best solid color.

cultural infidel
07-23-2012, 10:27 AM
how hard would it be to locate the trim pieces that you speak of? and at what cost? My current plan is to 2-tone my 65 as well. Had a thread on here a month back I believe.

My current plan for the paint line is to take it back to the trunk line. Basically the paint would stop just under the rear window. There is a seam in the body that would clearly define the line. I'll post a picture here later showing where.

Jim B PEI
07-23-2012, 10:37 AM
My 63 Daytona Wagonaire was tri-toned when I got it. Pale azure below the belt line, dark blue (close to navy) above the beltline/hood/pillars, and azure again on the roof but following that line that slowly falls on the Wagonaire at the top of the side. On a Wagonaire it looked extremely good, not quite sure it would look as impressive on a 64 and after sedan as it did on the 63 Wagonaire. Since my car (originally Ermine) had a two-tone blue with white interior, it looked almost factory.

RadioRoy
07-23-2012, 01:05 PM
In my opinion, all of those late model two tone around the belt line paint jobs are butt f***ing ugly.

All of them.

It's certainly not a popular opinion, but you asked for it.

Whenever I see a car painted like that it makes me think the owner has no taste or sense of style. They are just garish to me, like green shag carpet or velour upholstery. Like they used to say in Mad magazine... BLEECCHH!

Roscomacaw
07-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Brown - white - brown? You'll have to find a TAXI light for the roof.

cultural infidel
07-23-2012, 02:15 PM
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a209/edward4dhands/Commander%20and%20Garage/2012-07-06_17-08-35_182-choppleaseex2.jpg

rough MS Paint of what I am thinking. The orange is currently up for debate. The top will get a light flake to it. Either red/orange/blue. The wheels will match

JimC
07-23-2012, 02:45 PM
In my opinion, all of those late model two tone around the belt line paint jobs are butt f***ing ugly.

All of them.

It's certainly not a popular opinion, but you asked for it.

Whenever I see a car painted like that it makes me think the owner has no taste or sense of style. They are just garish to me, like green shag carpet or velour upholstery. Like they used to say in Mad magazine... BLEECCHH!
Well, I'm fond of mine, but then it is a '63, so maybe it escapes getting lumped in with the "late models" :eek:

I don't know how I would feel about doing a two tone with the OP's configuration though. Dark on top and bottom with white in the middle just sounds like a giant Oreo cookie to me. I don't know, Oreo's might be your thing, but I don't think I could pull it off.

If you really want some flair, how about a racing stripe? :)

studegary
07-23-2012, 03:04 PM
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a209/edward4dhands/Commander%20and%20Garage/2012-07-06_17-08-35_182-choppleaseex2.jpg

rough MS Paint of what I am thinking. The orange is currently up for debate. The top will get a light flake to it. Either red/orange/blue. The wheels will match

That is a very unnatural paint break line. Why not go further and do the trunk lid with the top color. That MAY be better.

cultural infidel
07-23-2012, 03:14 PM
That is a very unnatural paint break line. Why not go further and do the trunk lid with the top color. That MAY be better.

I have thought about that and it may happen. If I could find the trim pcs needed then I would go that route. I'll probably play around with the break line when I am doing the primer. I've seen a few cars with the break line that I put up and they looked pretty good.

studegary
07-23-2012, 03:29 PM
Just get a couple of pieces of straight, narrow, stainless strips and make your own C-pillar break line.

cultural infidel
07-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Just get a couple of pieces of straight, narrow, stainless strips and make your own C-pillar break line.

Where can I find these strips? This may be just the ticket. The small line between the windshield and rails wont bother me much.

studegary
07-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Where can I find these strips? This may be just the ticket. The small line between the windshield and rails wont bother me much.

Contact Matthew B. for what he may have around or go to your local junkyard or the SDC swap meet. They don't have to be Studebaker pieces, just something that is about the correct size.

cultural infidel
07-24-2012, 10:43 AM
here is a better photoshopped idea of what I was talking about. Only difference is that I want the door frames to be white as well... i think.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a209/edward4dhands/Commander%20and%20Garage/65studechop5-blueballs.jpg

JimC
07-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Sean,

I think you could pull it off with the blue. The orange sorta hurt my eyes ;)

Is the ride height photoshopped as well, or have you just filled the car up to the door handles with ready-mix concrete? :woot:

cultural infidel
07-24-2012, 01:02 PM
Sean,

I think you could pull it off with the blue. The orange sorta hurt my eyes ;)

Is the ride height photoshopped as well, or have you just filled the car up to the door handles with ready-mix concrete? :woot:

The orange in MS Paint was awful! If I go orange it will be a lot lighter. The more that I look at the blue, the more I like it. They did photoshop the height as well. I want it lower, but thats too low for me!

The guys on the hamb did 3 options colorwise for me....
Roth-Flake Cherry Pie
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a209/edward4dhands/Commander%20and%20Garage/65studechop5-cherrypie.jpg
http://www.rothmetalflake.com/flake/lil/images/cherriepie2.jpg

Roth-Flake Tropi-Cali
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a209/edward4dhands/Commander%20and%20Garage/65studechop5-orange-gold.jpg
http://www.rothmetalflake.com/flake/lil/images/tropicali2.jpg

63t-cab
07-24-2012, 05:22 PM
As Gary said though,continue the roof color to the top portion of the deck lid .

swvalcon
07-24-2012, 07:20 PM
If your going to two tone it do everything from the side body mlding up in one color. Like Jimc's anything else will make is look awful IMO.