PDA

View Full Version : 1962 Lark $1,800

1962larksedan
07-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Dropped the price again, we'll see what happens.

JimC
07-16-2012, 05:49 PM
If I had the cash I'd be tempted. Get the absolute best, most flattering photos possible and this car could sell fast.

1962larksedan
07-16-2012, 08:14 PM
If I had the cash I'd be tempted. Get the absolute best, most flattering photos possible and this car could sell fast.

I'm not the best photographer in the world but; I'm perplexed as to why it won't sell............

Admittedly it has a Chevy 350/TH350 but still. Why I say that the car starts, runs, drives, stops and the vehicle is in my name with a clear title. Plus it's an Arizona car with good glass.

jclary
07-16-2012, 08:26 PM

I agree about better pictures. The pictures that you are showing might be your intention to honestly show how the car looks as it sits. However, your goal should be to ignite interest and hopefully some passion for the car's possibilities. Most of us car guys have an imagination and can visualize how a car "could look," with proper attention and work. However, often the prospective buyer has a wife he has to share his vision with. While he might see the boxes of parts in the trunk, she thinks that is where you keep your garbage. The first picture you have is of the car hooked to a chain, at the back of a roll-back, and the hood popped.

I am not trying to rain on your parade, but close the hood, clean out the car, put some wheel covers on the wheels, and take some sharper pictures. As for the extra parts...neatly stack, and organize them on the pavement and take a separate picture.

Some imaginations need a kick-start. Unfortunately, some of your pics kinda kick it in the wrong direction. I don't mean to offend you by being so blunt, but, to me, it looks like a car with good potential. Don't get too discouraged, take some neater pictures, watch out for scammers, and I wish you the best of luck in finding a good home for the car.:):!::)

Bob Andrews
07-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Do you still have the original engine and trans. to go with it?

Right or wrong, I have found that the general buying public thinks a 4-door Studebaker needing restoration is not worth much; same car with a brand-x swap, barely a parts car. It's why I and others tried hard to talk you out of the swap. To most people, if they want to drive a 4-door car with a Chevy engine, they'll buy a Chevy- Nova, Malibu, Biscayne. As I said back then, what makes a 62 Lark worth buying to a Studebaker guy is the Studebaker engine. Wish I had better advice.

For reference, I bought this one running and driving for $1K two years ago. So far I have buffed it, changed the seats, installed the brand new exhaust that came with it, and the usual belts and hoses. Runs great; I drive it daily this time of year.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a243/bams50/LarkGr.jpg

1962larksedan
07-16-2012, 09:21 PM
One other poster did comment that the economy is getting worse which is affecting sales of Studes.

Da Tinman
07-16-2012, 09:21 PM
if only it was closer.....

mbstude
07-16-2012, 09:32 PM
I didn't want to say anything, but you've had the car listed several times and it hasn't gotten over $600 bucks. I've sold 3 Studebakers on ebay over the last year. All 3 cars ended up selling for a lot more than anyone expected, me included. The trick to that is GREAT pictures that flatter the car's looks, detailing it so every part looks as best as it can, and making it appeal to potential buyers. You want your car to stand out above the rest that are up for sale. The other trick is a good, long, honest description. Saying it "runs and drives" doesn't mean much, potential buyers want to know how well it'll do on a 500 mile trip. A drive around the parking lot isn't going to sell the car.

All things equal, a '62 Lark 4 door is probably one of the least desirable Studes out there. They don't demand much money and Bob A.'s post about his thousand dollar Green Machine is proof of that. A few years back my granddad bought a '62 4 door off ebay, he won the auction for $400. It was in about the same condition as yours except it still had a Studebaker engine. If it had've been Chevy powered he wouldn't have been interested.

Your car looks like a big project or worse yet, a solid parts car. The pictures of it chained to a rollback don't do any good, you might consider getting rid of those. The mismatched gauges, missing radio, dirty interior, exterior, and engine bay are all hurting you. The junk in the trunk and seat doesn't help either. You state that it runs and drives, but you don't state how well. A modification as big as an engine swap, people are going to be leery and want to be sure it was an improvement over what was originally there, other wise there's no appeal.

"I did swap in a Chevy 350/TH350/Ford 8" 2:79 rear end so drivetrain parts will be no issue." I don't get that, since any drivetrain parts for a stock Studebaker aren't an issue to begin with.

My advice.. Detail the car to look the absolute best that it can look. You swapped in another engine but didn't even wipe off the air cleaner. Make that engine bay look as good as it can. Wax the firewall and inner fenders, paint the block and heads, and slap on some cheap chrome valve covers and air cleaner. Tidy up the wiring and loose hoses and make it eye appealing. Clean out the interior and if the carpets are trashed, throw them out and paint that rust free floor. Go over all of the vinyl parts (seats, door panels, dash) with a soapy towel and clean them up. Paint the wheels and put on a matching set of hub caps. Shine the tires. Buff out the paint. Make it as shiny as it can be, and take pictures on an overcast day so that the paint's reflection shows in the photos.

Overall.. Flatter the car. Doll it up, brag on how well it runs and drives, and take lots of appealing pictures. Don't lie about anything, but don't be afraid to emphasize on the high points.

Here, I'll put my money where my mouth is. This wagon was posted on the forum last year as the first 3 pics show it. The consensus here was that it was worth $500 at the most. I took a leap and paid $1500 for the car and then another $500 to have it shipped to me.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/004.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/001.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/003-1.jpg

I rebuilt the brake system, buffed the paint, cleaned the interior and replaced the carpet, detailed the engine bay a little, put on a new exhaust system, and added some aftermarket wheels. I ended up selling the car for over $7000 on ebay. It's all about making your car have lots of "curb appeal".

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/Broadmoor016-1.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/Broadmoor014-1.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/Broadmoor001-1.jpg

If you'd like, send me your email address and I'll send you the ebay ad for a '33 Commander that I sold. I listed that car for a friend and it too brought more than anyone thought it would.

Studedude
07-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Very well said and demonstrated, young Matt!

Dick Steinkamp
07-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Very well said and demonstrated, young Matt!

Amen to that. Matt and John are spot on. That car WILL bring the money you want if you spend a day or two cleaning it up and taking some good pictures and providing a description that doesn't leave the reader with more questions than are answered.

I disagree with Bob, however. I believe you have a LARGER buying pool with the Chevy V8. Most of us here like Stude power and know it is dependable and that you can get parts, but there are FAR more potential buyers out there that don't know that. Stock power is a turn off to them. You may not sell it to one of the 13,000 SDC members...but you probably will to one of the other 2.000,000 vintage car fans.

JimC
07-17-2012, 02:23 AM
I'm not the best photographer in the world but; I'm perplexed as to why it won't sell............

Admittedly it has a Chevy 350/TH350 but still. Why I say that the car starts, runs, drives, stops and the vehicle is in my name with a clear title. Plus it's an Arizona car with good glass.

The other guys have pretty much nailed it, but I'll add my two bits. Making the car look good is key. Like Matthew said, clean it till it can't get any cleaner. Heck, doll it up with a "rattle can paint job" if you have the motivation to do so. I'll be honest, when I saw the picture of the car chained to the wrecker, my initial thought was that it looked like it was either fresh from a scrapyard or heading to one. That picture (and any others with tow trucks, chains, or other tools for moving dead vehicles) should be deleted and never see the light of day again, ESPECIALLY while trying to sell it. If you have the ability, take some videos of the car running. Rev the engine a few times. Get some shots of the thing cruising down the road. When you take photos, get a front and rear 3/4 shot (a 3/4 shot has the entire vehicle visible, taken from a diagonal perspective, so you should always have a side and either the front or the back in the shot). Avoid straight on shots of the front or side, they're boring, and won't help you sell. Experiment with lots of angles, some from as high as you can hold the camera (or stand on a chair even) and some laying on the ground aiming up.

In the past, I've had careers as both a photographer and in advertising, and I can attest to the fact that pictures will sell this car better than any description. (Side note: use words sparingly, and make them powerful!) The price of this car isn't outrageous, even at the original asking price. But selling a car is sort of like finding love on a dating website. The people out there are looking at pictures without really reading words (at least initially). They want the girl with photos showing off her perfect hair, nice makeup, and million dollar smile. It doesn't matter if the most amazing woman on earth is on that dating site; if her only photos are of her in ratty clothes with no makeup looking straight into the camera without smiling, she can advertise about her PhD in awesome all day long, and nobody's going to show interest.

Dress that car up as nice as you can. Drive it to a cool location and load a memory card full of catchy photos. Try to make it look like it belongs in Hemmings. If you do that, I would guarantee it will sell for more than you're offering it on the forums right here. It's an investment of time and a little money, but the return is well worth it.

Bob Andrews
07-17-2012, 04:44 AM
Amen to that. Matt and John are spot on. That car WILL bring the money you want if you spend a day or two cleaning it up and taking some good pictures and providing a description that doesn't leave the reader with more questions than are answered.

I disagree with Bob, however. I believe you have a LARGER buying pool with the Chevy V8. Most of us here like Stude power and know it is dependable and that you can get parts, but there are FAR more potential buyers out there that don't know that. Stock power is a turn off to them. You may not sell it to one of the 13,000 SDC members...but you probably will to one of the other 2.000,000 vintage car fans.

I think the Chevy power makes a car more salable if it's in finished condition. A nice looking, well-executed 2-door like the one you had fits what you said here; but not a cosmetically untouched 4-door has lost its only redeeming point of real interest to the non-Stude fanatic.

I'm not beating on this, I chime in here as a cautionary tale. I'm afraid of the oft-repeated pattern: a guy buys a Studebaker, yanks a perfectly servicable stock drivetrain based on inaccurate assumptions about quality or parts availability and pieces in a Chevy drivetrain; has to sell and finds out he has created a half-breed that Stude fans don't want and the public at large are leery of the workmanship. The result is a car that's not desirable to either crowd, and an alienated seller who decides it must be because Studebakers aren't worth messing with- or is maybe frustrated completely out of the hobby. Meanwhile, the car is abandoned in a back yard, vandalized and rotting into the ground, and eventually to the crusher for a few hundred, less than what the market was actually willing to pay. We have seen this play out many times over the years, right on this forum.

I wish I had a good answer for the OP and this car. Everybody knows I have much love for Larks myself, and I have been known to do rescues, but I don't have the inclination to take on a 4-door that needs both a drivetrain replacement and overall restoration. There are too many untouched out there for cheap prices.

Best thing I can offer is as Matthew says above; then be patient, and spend a lot of time marketing it everywhere you can think of. Good luck, and hope the poor old girl finds a loving home.

Bob Andrews
07-17-2012, 05:10 AM
Allow me to add: I am NOT a purist. While I tend to prefer Studes as they came from the factory, I have zero problem with a well-done modified car. We all can and should do what we want with our own cars. I'm just saying, we need to understand and be realistic when we modify; not only do we have to find a buyer for our car, we have to find one that agrees with our vision- and trusts our workmanship. That can be tough with a $100K pro build; those usually sell for a fraction of build cost, even for a desirable model. On an unrestored car? Tougher.

We have a member who has/had a Corvette with a Stude flat 6. He did what he wanted and has a unique, quirky, fun car. But hopefully he realizes what he did to the value of it and has made provisions- no permanent mods, saved original drivetrain, etc- or understands he will take a huge hit if he has to sell.

Nothing wrong with that; we're supposed to enjoy our cars. But there's two sides to that coin.

BobPalma
07-17-2012, 06:42 AM
Matthew Burnette, Bob Andrews, and John Clary have nailed the situation spot-on, Pierce. Please do not be offended by their suggestions and input, and heed their advice if you want to sell the car. There's just no way around it: It needs several hours of elbow grease, a few dollars worth of clean-up materials, and a far better presentation.

We can (and will) debate the Chevy engine issue until the cows come home, and they are at the back fence line right now showing little interest in pursuing barn occupancy, so the end of that discussion is not in the foreseeable future.

For better or worse and for the time being, the Chevy drivetrain is in there and the car will likely be sold "as equipped," so that is one thing you'll probably not change in the course of trying to sell it. Its presence or the advisability of having done it, regardless of who, when, or why it was done, is now a moot point. (In the interest of full disclosure, it looks like the car was a V8, so my opinion remains that unless the Studebaker V8 had thrown a rod through the side of the block, rendering it junk, and the Chevy engine ran well and was free....well, you get the idea....)

Anyway, I haven't followed the details of your car that carefully, so maybe you've answered this elsewhere: It might be an idea to decode the engine's identification number could you can state conclusively exactly which "Chevy engine" it has. Then include a photograph of that engine number in the ad so Chevy engine experts can verify it if they want.

Make sure it does run and drive well. When you're done spiffing it up, take it on a short round trip of, say, 100 miles, so you you can report that it does drive as you say with no odd vibrations, irregular braking, pulling to one side, and such. And, of course and above all, be honest about it. If it has some odd characteristic between 55 and 58 mph, say so if you can't sort it out.

This thread has provided you with excellent advice from experienced sellers. Best wishes for the car's preparation and sale. BP

Bob Andrews
07-17-2012, 07:11 AM
Bob, just for the record, it was a running 259 stick/od that just needed the usual fine tuning. You can follow the timeline of about a year:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/search.php?searchid=874095

BobPalma
07-17-2012, 08:19 AM
Bob, just for the record, it was a running 259 stick/od that just needed the usual fine tuning. You can follow the timeline of about a year:

Well, it says, "Sorry - No matches found" for that link, Bob...but if it was a running 259 with overdrive when pulled, it's probably so much the better that I can't access it! ;) :eek: BP

JimC
07-17-2012, 08:41 AM

Did someone adopt that motor/tranny? I've got a motorless '60 Lark right now that could use some V8 power. THAT is something that has immediate value to me.

Bob Andrews
07-17-2012, 12:38 PM
Well, it says, "Sorry - No matches found" for that link, Bob...but if it was a running 259 with overdrive when pulled, it's probably so much the better that I can't access it! ;) :eek: BP

well, that's weird. It works on my iPhone just fine:o All I did was click on Pierce's user name, then 'find all started threads'.

Anyway, here's one thread from last August where a few of us tried to give advice from experience, specifically post #21:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?53593-Stude-259-coming-out-SBC-going-into-my-1962-Lark

And, one where Pierce actually drove the car before the teardown:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?54024-Had-my-starter-rebuilt-on-my-1962-Lark-the-259-will-stay-for-a-while...........

1962larksedan
07-17-2012, 07:28 PM
Did someone adopt that motor/tranny? I've got a motorless '60 Lark right now that could use some V8 power. THAT is something that has immediate value to me.

Engine went to a guy on CraigsList and the bell, starter, 3spd/OD unit as well as the 3 spd shift rods all went to different members here on the Forum. Driveshaft and rearend (Dana 27 3:31 one legger with tapered axles) I scrapped since no one wanted them.

1962larksedan
07-17-2012, 07:34 PM
I read everyone's responses and the biggest problem for me seems to be I'm dealing with a 1962 Y body 4 door sedan. Convertibles are easy to get rid of even if just salvageable hulks, wagons (2 door especially), followed by 2 door hardtops then 2 door sedans in that order. I say 'Y' body because the 1959-61 Lark 4 doors are 'cuter' in a way whereas the 1963-66 Lark type 4 doors are more popular IMHO.

Non matching guages; that one was tough because all I could find was a NOS black face speedo since my original white face instrument is broken but can probably be rebuilt since it's intact.

JimC
07-18-2012, 12:34 AM
I read everyone's responses and the biggest problem for me seems to be I'm dealing with a 1962 Y body 4 door sedan. Convertibles are easy to get rid of even if just salvageable hulks, wagons (2 door especially), followed by 2 door hardtops then 2 door sedans in that order. I say 'Y' body because the 1959-61 Lark 4 doors are 'cuter' in a way whereas the 1963-66 Lark type 4 doors are more popular IMHO.

Non matching guages; that one was tough because all I could find was a NOS black face speedo since my original white face instrument is broken but can probably be rebuilt since it's intact.I don't really think that it has that much to do with it being a '62 Y. I just did a google search, and there are plenty of people who apparently enjoy theirs. I also don't think all this cage rattling about the SBC motor makes that big of a difference. A running (anything) is better than a non-running vehicle. You could have a couple squirrels on a wheel under the hood. So long as it runs, you have a big positive selling point. I truly believe with all my heart that a little elbow grease and marketing would move this car in a heartbeat.

That's not just something I'm pulling out of my bum. I used to do advertising. At one point in my life, my job was to sell airtime for a little AM radio station in rural Minnesota. Let me tell you, if there's a less desirable place to put an ad, I don't know it. And yet, I managed to sell some big accounts and get folks to spend really generous sums of money advertising from an 80 year old station that was mostly listened to by people of the same age. How did I do it? I marketed. I was honest and didn't lie about the service, but I also didn't go out of my way to make it look like a waste of money. I pushed the good stuff, like the personal one-on-one consulting we offered for all forms of media. I talked about the community connection, and how people who listen to our station become more loyal to our advertised brands than they do to other FM stations. I basically did exactly what many here are suggesting you do: I polished up what I was offering, I put it's best foot forward, and I the buyers came in droves.

Seriously, clean the car up as best you can. Who cares if some parts on the inside aren't a perfect match. Make it look cool. Buy some rattle can paint and do the car so it's uniform (admittedly this step is all cosmetic, and the next owner would likely just remove it, but we're talking about selling a car, not restoring it). Take some nice pictures by some classy old buildings (that don't have a wrecker in the frame). Get some video of the car roaring down the street. (Make sure to get the audio so they can hear the engine.) If you can do this stuff, you could sell a turd on wheels.

The last piece of advice I have before I promise to shut up is be confident, believe in the car (and you!) and avoid defeatist statements like the plague. You have a ride that a lot of people would love to own, as-is. It's a fun little car. Don't listen to people that talk down about the car or what you've done to it. There are millions of old car lovers out there. If 50 people here said they couldn't stand your car as it is, you still have millions of prospective buyers. Every time you start thinking "This car won't sell because..." stop and slap yourself. Thinking like this leads to more negativity, and you're more likely to talk down about the car (as you just did in this thread where you're trying to sell it.). I don't care how much I love a car, if the Owner just keeps going on about what a miserable, undesirable car it is, I'm not going to buy it even if I want to.

If you want to get some photography ideas, shoot me a PM. that's something else I did in the past, and I can give you some ideas that should let you get nice photos to help sell it.

You can sell this car man. It's a great car, and with a little polish, someone out there will be bragging about the deal he got by picking it up for under $5000.

avantilover
07-18-2012, 02:30 AM
I have one of these cars and love it, due to all the space being a 4-door. One day they'll be valuable due to the 2-door lovers scrapping them. Well, maybe but like BP recently posted - get a car you like and keep it forever. it seems to me as I have said, that you may as well put it away until money is there for it's rebirth, car isn't worth much and you likely can't repalce it so cheaply.

Bob Andrews
07-18-2012, 04:25 AM
Relisted, no improvements:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120951613805&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWNARL%3AUS%3A1123

1962larksedan
07-18-2012, 08:20 AM
Relisted, no improvements:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120951613805&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWNARL%3AUS%3A1123

That's weird: I thought I deleted the pic with the flat bed. Let me fix that now.

1962larksedan
07-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Side note here: a guy was trying to sell s 1961 Lark ob CraigsList locally, was asking $1859 and this car was complete with its original Stude V8.

mbstude
07-18-2012, 11:40 AM
At least some of us tried to help. Good luck.

pdrnec
07-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Dude - invest an hour. Take the junk out of the car. Vacuum the floor. Use some armor-all or even windex on the dash & door panels. Wash it. Degrease the engine bay. Take more pictures with the car empty (trunk too) and clean. If you want to go wild, lightly sand the surface rust on the fenders and rattle-can it. You'll add a minimum of $1000 for very little effort.

As presented it looks like something I see homeless people living in downtown.

JimC
07-18-2012, 03:34 PM
I'm actually starting to suspect that maybe this sale is being motivated by an outside force (family/significant other) and he doesn't really want it sold. The advice given has largely been of one accord, and it's really good advice at that.

Honestly, if I could get this car in my driveway for 1800, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, clean it up real good, and flip it for a profit. It really is a diamond in the rough, and with not much work this would blow by the asking price in a flash.

Either way, good luck with the sale. I hope you get your desired outcome.

avantilover
07-19-2012, 02:26 AM
Perhaps one of the other Arizona folks can get it?

Bob Andrews
07-19-2012, 06:51 AM
Pierce, your most recent posts here seem a little snarky. That's not the case, is it? Because if it is, that would be disappointing. Some of us put a lot of effort trying to help you understand the situation and what best to do at this point. You don't seem to have taken one bit of the advice given you- for free- from experienced people. That includes the 'flat-bed' picture, which you claimed you were going to fix.

So you've listed a low-popularity, modified car, poorly presented, a few times now, with the same results repeated. People responded only because you said you were "perplexed as to why it won't sell". You got your answers from knowledgeable people. It appears you didn't like the reality check. You mentioned a '61 CL car. Do you think that example makes your price look more or less realistic? How about a link?

I hope you find the car a good home, at a price you will accept. I fear the all-too-common result we've seen in these situations- seller won't come down but won't continue with the car, instead letting it sink into a back lawn and rot away and get vandalized, eventually getting crushed.

Best to you, and that poor old Lark.

1962larksedan
07-19-2012, 09:17 AM
Pierce, your most recent posts here seem a little snarky. That's not the case, is it? Because if it is, that would be disappointing. Some of us put a lot of effort trying to help you understand the situation and what best to do at this point. You don't seem to have taken one bit of the advice given you- for free- from experienced people. That includes the 'flat-bed' picture, which you claimed you were going to fix.

So you've listed a low-popularity, modified car, poorly presented, a few times now, with the same results repeated. People responded only because you said you were "perplexed as to why it won't sell". You got your answers from knowledgeable people. It appears you didn't like the reality check. You mentioned a '61 CL car. Do you think that example makes your price look more or less realistic? How about a link?

I hope you find the car a good home, at a price you will accept. I fear the all-too-common result we've seen in these situations- seller won't come down but won't continue with the car, instead letting it sink into a back lawn and rot away and get vandalized, eventually getting crushed.

Best to you, and that poor old Lark.

Snarky post? If I came across that way, I apologize. Note when I post off my Android cell; I tend to be cut and dried because it's a PITA to type more than a sentence or two.

Re: deleting the 'flatbed' pic; for some reason eBay won't let me.

That 1961 Lark; no link handy anymore, it was on the Phx CraigsList for months at the same '$1850' price and even I took a look at it but decided to pass, this was about a year ago. Note it was a complete and running car but needed tires and some other work, brakes(?).

If the car won't sell, unsure what my next move will be to be honest.

BobPalma
07-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Pierce, the car will sell; everything is worth something.

As you've seen from "all the above," how much it sells for will largely depend on your committment to preparing and marketing it, per the many excellent, heartfelt suggestions that have been tendered.

So it's just a question of how much it will sell for. At today's scrap prices, it might bring $400, so it can be sold. You have control over how much more than scrap price you receive, based on how much time and effort (and precious little money) you're willing to invest in the project. BP

Bob Andrews
07-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Snarky post? If I came across that way, I apologize. Note when I post off my Android cell; I tend to be cut and dried because it's a PITA to type more than a sentence or two.

Great, no problem. Good luck!

cultural infidel
07-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Paint the wheels so that they dont look like cheap junk yard throw aways. That will improve the look of the car Ten-Fold. That is just my $0.02. If the car was closer and I had the coin, I would put in the garage (oh and if my wife was cool with it lol)

aarrggh
07-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Clean her up a bit and drive it around , park it here and there and some yuppie will see it and go "ooooooo" i must have this " how much " .
And you yell " SOLD " . . .

studeclunker
07-19-2012, 11:27 PM
dude... just bite the bullet, end the auction and relist with a proper presentation. I wouldn't even give you as much as the current bid with that auction. Not trying to be mean, just honest.

studegary
07-20-2012, 12:57 PM
I notice that there are only two bidders (seven bids) on it.

1962larksedan
07-20-2012, 07:09 PM
How can I say this tactfully: I'm really starting to see the 'CASO' attitude that Stude fans are known for and not just here on the Forum.

studefan
07-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Pierce, I haven't responded yet so please allow me to share my independent recommendation. You would do MUCH better with your ebay auction if you clean out the trunk, take the tube, rags, and boxes out of the interior, wash and vacuum the car, then take new pictures in a grassy area. Everything I described should take you about an hour and the car would be much more appealing to a potential buyer.

Studedude
07-20-2012, 08:12 PM
How can I say this tactfully: I'm really starting to see the 'CASO' attitude that Stude fans are known for and not just here on the Forum.
I'm not a CASO, so Why is my tongue bleeding?

mbstude
07-20-2012, 09:13 PM
I'm not a CASO, so Why is my tongue bleeding?

Mine's bleeding too! Maybe because we're biting down so hard?

How can I say this tactfully: It isn't anyone's fault but your own for your car not bringing more than parts car money. We all tried to help you, and you didn't use any of our advice, or even say thanks. I don't think you have the right to insult us, when we all tried to help you make more money, with nothing to gain for ourselves.

Sell the car for the high bid as you present it, clean it up and watch it sell for more, or keep it and enjoy it. Just don't blame us for your own lack of motivation. We tried to help. It isn't our fault that you don't want to help yourself.

JimC
07-20-2012, 09:19 PM
Pierce,

First off, I hope nothing I've said (or will say) has offended you. I really want the best for you and this sale. Hopefully nothing I've said came across as anything but trying to help you get what this car is worth.

At the same time, I'm scratching my head. It seems like you haven't heard the recommendations of everyone here. Could you maybe rephrase what you think we've all been advising you to do? Maybe there's just a simple miscommunication.

Let me see if I can put what I'm saying into pictures. For example, look at this one:

http://itricks.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/DB-after-transformation.tif.jpg

If you were looking to hire an investment banker and these guys were your options, would you hire the man on the left or the one on the right? Maybe you have different standards than I, and maybe I'm just being superficial, but I don't care if that guy on the right went to Harvard and had the diploma in his shopping cart to prove it, I wouldn't hire him. Why? Because he looks like a homeless person.

The interesting thing is that those two people are the same person. One is how he looks cleaned up, and the other is how he looks dressed as a homeless person.

The point that I'm getting at is how you present yourself (or your car) matters!

I don't want to sound rude here, and I sincerely hope this only comes across as constructive, but the photos of your car make it look like crap. Absolute crap. It looks like it either just came from a scrapyard, or it's on it's way there. If I were to ask 100 passerby's if that car ran, based on the pictures, I would bet you that almost every one of them would say that they didn't think it did. It's not a matter of your skills as a photographer, or the type of camera. The reason the car looks like crap is because it's filthy, full of garbage, and chained to the kind of vehicle that takes dead cars to the graveyard. Everything about the car just looks like crap. Plain and simple.

The thing is this: what you know, and what those of us on this forum know, is that you have a diamond in the rough there. With a little bit of cleaning, a few minor updates, you could very easily make close to or maybe more than the $3000 you initially were asking. At the least, you should hit your $1800 without a problem. For some reason, you are ignoring our suggestions to do just this, and I am very confused why.

Here's the bottom line. If you want the car to sell, follow these instructions:

1. End your current ebay listing, and take down any craigslist ads that are running.

2. Take EVERYTHING that isn't attached to the car out of the car. Empty the seats. Empty the trunk. There should be nothing in the car, but the car.

3. CLEAN the car thoroughly. Scrub the interior. wash out the trunk. Go to one of those coin op carwashes that has an engine cleaning setting, and clean the grease and dirt from the engine compartment. If you have carpets/cloth interior parts borrow or rent a portable carpet cleaner (I rented one once for $20). Clean everything until you can't get it cleaner.

4. Do some refreshing work. Rattle can paint your wheels so they don't look like their last journey was through a junkyard. (If you want to appeal to the modified/rod market, black or red are popular wheel colors.) If you can find a color of paint from a rattle can that matches your car semi-closely (even if it's a few shades off), buy the paint and repaint at least the sunburnt tops of your fenders/hood. Otherwise, buff & wax the car, to make it look as good as you can. Polish anything you can. Find something to cover up the radio delete space, even if it's a piece of steel that you grind/cut to fit.

5. Clean up any parts that may come with the vehicle. If there are spare parts, clean them up so they look nice. This goes for that original gauge you had to replace.

6. STAGING.
a. Staging the parts - Lay out all the spare parts on the concrete so they look presentable. Make them look good. THEY SHOULD NOT BE IN THE CAR!!!
b. Staging the car - For the car, drive it someplace cool. Examples: near a bridge over water, by a mural on the side of a building, in front of a landmark, an old diner or someplace that fits the car's era, etc...

7. Take NEW pictures. (Start by deleting those old ones forever!)
a. Pics of the parts - Get some shots of all the parts together. Then get close ups of the most important things you have (especially parts that are harder to find, if you have any.)
b. Pics of the car - don't be afraid to spend an hour photographing. The best time for outdoor shots is either the first hour and change after sunrise, or the last hour or so before sunset, so plan accordingly. Don't take "flat" pics of just one side of the car. standing at the corner of the front bumper, walk diagonally from the car. When you can get the whole car in frame, shoot. Get lots and lots of pictures. Get close ups of important things. Try using low angles (from close to the ground) to make the car look mean and larger than life, or hold the camera as high as you can to get elegant overhead shots. Focus on the positive stuff with your camera. DON'T BE AFRAID OF CLOSE-UPS. You can take these pics with any camera, even a crappy disposable or a cell phone.
c. VIDEO. Get video of the car running, racing down the street, peeling out. Whatever. Make it clear with video that this car not only runs, but it runs AWESOMELY. I don't think I could drive your car from where you are to my home in Nebraska. If it can, prove it to me, with video.

8. Write a better ad. Ad's are brief and compelling, and make you want to see more. A list of features is nice, but nobody cares. If they want to know a page of bullet points, they can ask you. Talk positively about the car. Don't be afraid to throw an exclamation point in there somewhere! (But don't overuse it! If you do, you look crazy! Nobody buys cars from a crazy person!)

9. Post your ads. DO NOT "relist" your old ad. That ad DOES NOT WORK! You've tried it 3 times with the same result. There's a name for people who do the same thing over and over again, expecting the same results. I can't remember it right now... Use the new photos and videos. If you haven't already, delete all those old pics and deny they ever existed if you're asked.

10. Enjoy selling your car!

If you follow those steps, you car WILL sell. I'd just about guarantee it. If you talk up the Chevy motor and some of the perks (like "Never experience vapor lock, thanks to the electronic fuel injection!) it's going to sell easily. The point is, if you really want to sell the car for the maximum possible price, make it look like something that someone would want to buy.

Another point, forget about all the naysaying. Who cares if it's a Chevy Motor, really? Who cares if it's the 62 with the "greenhouse" door trim? Who cares about the fact that it's four doors? Listen to this very closely: My '63, which I love more than you know, is not as nice a car as what you have. It has a flashy paint job, but under the surface, it's got issues. There's not one part of this car that doesn't at least need something addressed. It leaks everywhere, and it's just itching to leave me on the side of the road one of these hot days. If you drive it more than 40 minutes, it starves for fuel and you walk. If you run the brights, they flash on and off. It's even a 4 door. But I bought it, and I paid significantly more than you're asking for your '62. Why? Because it looked nice. If you parked your car as it is in those photos next to my car, and you listed them at the same price, my leaky basket case would sell every time while yours sat there, because mine looks nice and has a fresh layer of wax. That's really what it comes down to. Make the car look appealing, and someone will buy it.

That's all I can really say on this topic. Follow my steps above. You will sell the car for more than you hoped. I used those basic steps myself once to sell an old Plymouth reliant. I wound up selling the car for twice what I paid for it two years prior. It was almost like getting paid to have a car.

Best of luck. I am happy to expand on what I'm saying if you need help. If you decide to completely disregard what I've said, I hope you at least make something from it. I wish I had the cash, I'd gladly take it off your hands and flip it for a fast profit.

Best of luck.

avantilover
07-20-2012, 09:36 PM
I can only agree with the above. My car cost me $3000 and I took about 6 hours at Dad's home to wash, dry, polish, and vacuum the interior adding vinyl cleaner/protector. Our cars are identical apart from the rusty fenders. It will make a nice car for someone, likely not too much to do - but this demonstrates that you don't care as you have done nothing to maximize your investment. Were I in the US, I'd likely buy it - whether for parts or restotration who could say, but I'd not pay much considering the crap I'd have to remove before being able to clean it up. take note of what the guys are saying, they know what they're about.

I feel you're likely to have a lot of resentment once she's sold - you bought her, made your changes then sold her cheaply, what a shame - plenty of folks in similar circumstances I read of in Hemmings and other mags - "I put the car in the shed due to marriage,kids,work etc and 20 or so years later I began the restoration.

We wish you all the best for the future and I'm sure someone will have the right car for you when things are better.

Was talking to a refugee from Eritrea (Northern Ethiopia) last night and he said he was in a camp waiting to go to any country he could. "Australia is a good country" he said.

Point is, we all have issues but none of us can imagine living in a camp waiting to go to a safe country and begin with nothing, you'll be fine the US is a good place and the bad economic times won't last forever.

Bob Andrews
07-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Mine's bleeding too! Maybe because we're biting down so hard?

How can I say this tactfully: It isn't anyone's fault but your own for your car not bringing more than parts car money. We all tried to help you, and you didn't use any of our advice, or even say thanks. I don't think you have the right to insult us, when we all tried to help you make more money, with nothing to gain for ourselves.

Sell the car for the high bid as you present it, clean it up and watch it sell for more, or keep it and enjoy it. Just don't blame us for your own lack of motivation. We tried to help. It isn't our fault that you don't want to help yourself.

Agree. I just don't get what's REALLY going on here:confused:

Studedude
07-20-2012, 10:15 PM
He's not a CASO, but a LAGWaSFS!