PDA

View Full Version : These have not been good times for Mr. Green--or me...

Johnnywiffer
07-16-2012, 12:35 PM
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/johnnywiffer/MRGRSMA.jpg

These have not been good times for the Mr. Green or me.

Reflecting my mood and present state of affairs, his image is appropriately out of focus and absent of love. He sits in my driveway surrounded by RUNNING cars, his gas tank lined with crud from the unleaded gas he was forced to ingest over time. His only company is the “necessary” pieces I’ve collected and stashed on his seats (I tell him it is to stay the sun from frying them but I think he knows I’m lying.) His battery still charges easily and when I run a rubber hose into a gallon jug of gas and spray some starter fluid into his carb, he grumbles but starts. A few tires from one of his neighbors, my Olds Silhouette, rest on his rear bumper as if to say, “See? A little air can work wonders in those slowly deflating tires YOU have. If we had a way, we’d even give you some of ours.”
Since my death, (3 times, remember?) and the sad state of the economy, these have not been good times for Mr. Green or me. Even though I never told him, I think he knows that when we sold the gold. instead of spending it on HIM, we paid off the house.

It has been well over a year since he and I last felt the wind of the open road, the coolness of the open floor vents and the taste of freedom away from daily worries. His beautiful color now dulled by a layer of dust, dead paint and cat tracks down his windshield, he looks forlorn and faded and yet he never fails to smile at me every time I happen to touch a fender.

He looks eagerly at me and I can almody hear him say, "Today? Will today be the day you once again show me the love and care you once did? Will today be the day we fly along the roads again in a blaze of color and noise and laughter? Today?"

I stop for a moment, look at him, and think, "No, not today. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe this weekend, Maybe when......"

I walk past Mr. Green and he is soon, once again, forgotten.

These have not been good times for Mr. Green or me.

Maybe tomorrow............

John

Guido
07-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Look at the bright side, Mr. Green could be a Corvair....

aarrggh
07-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Or a Fiero .

Johnnywiffer
07-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Look at the bright side, Mr. Green could be a Corvair....Guido...Gruido...Guido--where the heck have you been? As my great-great useter say..."I ain't seed you in a coon's age!"

John

stevo5671
07-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Or a Fiero .

That was funny!

Johnnywiffer
07-16-2012, 09:58 PM
Or a Fiero .And if it WAS a Fiero, the gas tank would be clear of crud because it's MADE for that kind of go-juice. Nope...it's just sad that Mr. Green has been so patient. He will be rewarded soon--that's a promise!

John

Studedude
07-16-2012, 10:01 PM
I remember trying to keep up with Mr. Green back when Clonelark used to own him. Peppy little guy, he needs to stretch it out every now and again!

mbstude
07-16-2012, 10:32 PM
I wouldn't mind having him in my garage. Johnny, wanna let him visit Atlanta for a while?

07-17-2012, 04:55 AM
My Mr. Green is blue. Maybe a more appropriate color?

BobPalma
07-17-2012, 06:46 AM
'Hope you're "going green" soon, Johnny...and don't forget the battery hold-down! :eek: :cool: BP

candbstudebakers
07-17-2012, 10:10 AM
John, will you be in South Bend? if so will see you there...Bob

Johnnywiffer
07-17-2012, 02:01 PM
John, will you be in South Bend? if so will see you there...Bob

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

John

Guido
07-17-2012, 06:27 PM
Look at the bright side, Mr. Green could be a Corvair....

Guido...Gruido...Guido--where the heck have you been? As my great-great useter say..."I ain't seed you in a coon's age!"

John

My Corvair comment to John was an inside joke. While many of us have been entertained by John's stories over the years, some may not know he is actually a published author. John penned two books on the Corvair [Compleat History of the Corvair for the Compleat Corvair Nut!! (Volumes I & II)] and owned several over the years. A search of this site should bring up some entertaining comments on Corvairs as well as John's escapades while a weekend salesman.

Where have I been? I have found something better than Studebakers to collect and work on..... chain saws! (no comments from Dick Steinkamp). In fact, I currently have about 150 of them stored in the back of my 1955 E-38 grain truck.

A few of my Poulans:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o175/guidosalvage/Poulanfamily2011014.jpg

You know you have CAD (Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder) when you have to build a trailer to haul them around in:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o175/guidosalvage/GTGTrailer008.jpg