PDA

View Full Version : Bidding wars on line, dont get cought up in one.

Rocket442
07-15-2012, 08:58 PM
Just checking out ebay for random parts. Ive seen and im sure you have too stuff going for huge over priced money. Well here's one that caught my eye, ( this is just an example im sure i could find a better one but this works for the point) this cheaply made Taiwan piece that looked very familiar, so i clicked and sure enough, its the same one i never used. Cant remember where i picked it up from possibly wally world, harbor fright or a truck stop anyways i think i paid around 8 bucks new but it couldn't have been much, just take a look at that cheap foam seal. It cant believe this stuff is still going on. the bid now is 23 bucks with shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/LICENSE-PLATE-LIGHT-FOR-HOT-ROD-RAT-ROD-OR-ANTIQUE-CAR-/110912740181?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AStudebaker&hash=item19d2ea1b55&vxp=mtr

Dont know if this is the case but Ive seen tv shows of hoarders and such where people are addicted to online bidding. they never even use or even open the stuff up, it just gets piled to the roof. They just love to bid, its an addiction like gambling.

So how do you avoid paying too much for too little when the item has a bunch of bids and you think thats what its worth, because well, it must be right, if its on ebay, and has many bids??????

Dick Steinkamp
07-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Here they are for $3.99 if anyone needs one (or wants to buy several and eBay them ;))

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product__6251110-P_N3151D_A%7CGRP2044____?zoneAssigned=1

rockne10
07-15-2012, 09:18 PM
Fools and their money are soon parted.

Been there.:QQ:

63 R2 Hawk
07-15-2012, 09:21 PM
As they say, "caveat emptor".... Let the buyer beware! It's easy enough to research anything on the web, if people are too lazy to do some clicky, they deserve to get fleeced.

gordr
07-15-2012, 09:25 PM
I have two of them on the rear bumper of my Suburban to illuminate the license plate. Think I got them from Princess Auto for $5 for the pair. They are LED lights, too. I had to drill holes for the screws, and they don't quite cover the holes for the OEM lamps, but it's close, and the price was right.

Guido
07-15-2012, 09:36 PM
You can't cure stupid nor can you protect people from themselves. There have been a number of times when I have attended auctions where someone paid above retail price to take home a well used item.

Chris_Dresbach
07-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Crazy. I occasionally bid or buy something on Ebay, but I'm too much of a caso to go overboard. If it's something I really want I may bid a little more than I'd like to pay, but that's rare. Good example of that is there was a Brooklyn model of a 1940 Champion just like my real car except painted green on Ebay last year about November. For a long time I had wanted to get a scale model of my car and I only knew of two companies that ever made them; Brooklyn and Schrock and you almost NEVER see them on Ebay. Not wanting to miss the chance I didn't really care how much it went for, I wanted it. I only wanted to pay about $40 for it. $80 lated it's sitting on my display shelf. :QQ:

bob40
07-16-2012, 07:33 AM
Research research research before bidding

JimC
07-16-2012, 08:44 AM
EBay, where cars sell for too cheap and everything else sells for too much.

I have mostly given up the auction scene (real or eBay). While you can sometimes get a bargain, if a doofus with altogether too much money and not enough brains shows up, you can't walk out without overspending. One time I was at an auction where a halogen shop lamp went up for bid. I had literally bought the exact same lamp from Walmart a few days prior for $20. The beat up used one at the auction sold for $40. I laughed out loud when the new owner plugged it in after his big win, and only one of the two bulbs worked.

I was at another auction where an okay 60 lark wagon went up for bids, and brought nearly $10,000!! I bumped into a few Stude guys I know there, and we all thought 4k or so would be where it maxed out. I guess not!

Johnnywiffer
07-16-2012, 09:13 AM
I’m not exactly a Captain Midnight freak—just a regular freak is enough—but I had a 1946 Code-O-Graph in one of my stories and decided I couldn’t go through life without one.

Before researching them, I thought $5-$10 was probably a pretty fair price. After all, they ARE old—PLUS--who is gonna use those codes these days?

HA!! An incomplete one (no mirror, so couldn’t flash any messages with IT!) was $15. But I snagged it to kinda get my feet wet. A nice one was bid to $30. I snagged it, too. Looks pretty nice.

Today when I looked again, just to research the market, I found a semi-nice one is $75, a nicer one is $125 and with a book, $150. By the way, how that last guy expects to sell it with just a fuzzy pic FROM THE BACK is beyond me.

But I guess if you WANT one…you’ll pay whatever it takes. Now I gotta contact my local Advance Auto to get me a bunch of those license plate lights and…J

John

FlatheadGeo
07-16-2012, 11:54 AM
I have a pair of those sitting in my parts bin in case I need them. Paid less than four bucks.